U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 10:57 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,659,121 times

Advertisements

Have a traditional desktop PC, not interested in laptops, smart phones, etc. Cable unavailable in this valley; same thing with fiber optics. So I use a mom & pop DSL connection on a separate, dedicated phone line. Even though it's mom & pop, they use Verizon when problems arise. Anyway, download speed is .5 to .8mb. which is only slightly faster than the backup dialup of .26-.49mb. The ISP points out that my location is at the end of the line and if I were just three miles closer to town, I'd get 3mb. 10 yrs. ago, these speeds were acceptable but web sites today have added bells, whistles, videos, etc. as you well know and the operation times out. Man, I cannot even access my bank or govt. agencies anymore,

Tell me your experience with satellite internet. What is the fair usage policy or whatever it's called? What are typical download speeds? I understand that even rain affects performance. True? Not interested in satellite TV or phone, just internet.

Note: For a short time I used a Sprint 3g/4g device which plugged into a USB port. It got a little over 1mb. which was acceptable compared to the ISP but limited the user to 5gb. a month which was unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 08:58 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
I have zero experience actually using it but I understand fully how it works.

Various download speeds are available from 3MB up to 50, if not higher. The issue (which really isn't a huge issue for 95% of people) is upload speeds are generally pretty slow. How much does the average person upload? Not all that much. When you type in Google and hit send: technically that's an upload.... but it's not even 2 bytes. That happens instantly.

It's absolutely a viable alternative in rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or