U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 10:23 PM

91 posts, read 435,639 times

Advertisements

I am in the San Antonio, Tx 78217 area and thinking about signing up for TWC Extreme 50/5 internet package.

When comparing the higher speed packages I noticed the Extreme package does not include "Home Wifi", but says it is best for 3-5 devices.

What exactly does this mean? Does the "Home Wifi" cost extra or is it extra for more than 5 devices?

I plan on buying my own modem/router to avoid the lease fees, but does TWC still have the ability to block networking or the number of devices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 12:55 PM

31,135 posts, read 50,288,259 times
I would assume the "TWC Extreme 50/5 internet package" is a cable service.

You could then connect a router and enable the wifi transmitter on the router, giving you wifi in your home.

Any method of getting internet connectivity can provide wifi from a router.

They are assuming that if you go beyond 3 to 5 devices the bandwidth will be bottle-necked down giving you a lot of buffering.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:23 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,608,667 times
I would steer away from relying on TW for providing you with "Home WiFi". Sign up for their service and buy/setup your own modem/router. They will charge you monthly for the equipment on top of the monthly for the service. As for the 50/5 internet package it all depends on the price. Yes 50mbps is more than enough for 5 devices, but all of them running simultaneously at 10mbps each. How often does that happen? I guess it's up to you but that would rarely happen all at once and you do not 10mbps to stream unless it's HD1080p or 4K video. Occasional email or web surfing requires very little bandwidth and if you can save with the "standard" or "turbo" speed than that would be sufficient. If there is no significant price break then go for it. TWC has no means of knowing how many devices are connected. As far as they are concerned they only see one IP address (yours) and the traffic over that IP. The devices would be within your own (private) network.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:15 PM

29,623 posts, read 16,057,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I would steer away from relying on TW for providing you with "Home WiFi". Sign up for their service and buy/setup your own modem/router. They will charge you monthly for the equipment on top of the monthly for the service. As for the 50/5 internet package it all depends on the price. Yes 50mbps is more than enough for 5 devices, but all of them running simultaneously at 10mbps each. How often does that happen? I guess it's up to you but that would rarely happen all at once and you do not 10mbps to stream unless it's HD1080p or 4K video. Occasional email or web surfing requires very little bandwidth and if you can save with the "standard" or "turbo" speed than that would be sufficient. If there is no significant price break then go for it. TWC has no means of knowing how many devices are connected. As far as they are concerned they only see one IP address (yours) and the traffic over that IP. The devices would be within your own (private) network.
Before I got the Comcast X1 system, I did exactly that. Bought a Motorola cable modem, the phone support helped me with the connection - because they will need your MAC ID on the modem - and it worked great with no issues.

It does help if you are somewhat computer savvy to be able to follow the guidance over the phone.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
TWC has no means of knowing how many devices are connected. As far as they are concerned they only see one IP address (yours) and the traffic over that IP. The devices would be within your own (private) network.
This is the answer I was hoping for, but after reading some of the posts of actual users on TWC forum, it seems that once you call them to register your own equipment, you give them remote access to certain information on your "private" network. One suggestion I saw was to get a stand alone gateway modem and a separate router for complete anonymity versus an all-in-one modem/router combo setup. Is this true or does it matter? Keep in mind that I although I am not a complete novice in networking technology, I don't totally know how all this works.

I am this close >< to calling them for an installation, but I'd really like to know what type of equipment to buy before I get hooked in a 1 year contract. They have a list of specific brands and models that are compatible with their system and I'm leaning towards Netgear products.

I really wish Grande Communications were available in my neighborhood. No "compatible" equipment required, no data-caps and no contracts.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:49 PM

I recently got my own modem and was previously leasing a modem from TWC. They did not ask me anything other than the MAC address and we quickly got it going. You are going to need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem as TWC is updating all of their equipment. I already had my own wifi router so we just simply replaced the modem. I could not tell you first hand if they ask for access to your equipment if you decide to buy a combo modem/router. I rather doubt that they do as it does not make sense. It is your equipment and you are entitled to your privacy. I really don't think they care either. As I said before it is just an IP and traffic to them. There are no caps that I know of with TWC. About the only thing that I can think that they would care about is illegal activity that involves pirating, downloading torrents and that type of thing and even then they would not know about it until someone reported you. I joined the TWC forum. Maybe you can join and ask more questions there if you still have doubts.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:15 PM

I've bought my equipment and decided on the plan. The only other thing I am concerned about now is the extra fees. I don't like the fact that it does not tell me what those extra fees are until I click on confirm. Can you tell me what to expect as far as taxes, surcharges and other fees? I don't see free activation or installation on the package. Do you think that would be a couple hundred extra? I've lived here over 15 years and have never had cable internet so I likely will have to get the actual cabling installed underground from the utility by the curb all the way to my house, approximately 75'. I will be drilling the holes in the wall today in the spot that I want it just to make it a little easier for the technician. Just trying to line up all my ducks before I actually pull the trigger.

Quote:
I joined the TWC forum. Maybe you can join and ask more questions there if you still have doubts.
I tried to sign up, but the forum is only for existing TWC members. So I can't even comment on an existing topic as a guest. I will try the chat next for other direct questions. Will post back my experience once it's done. Thank you for all your help.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:44 PM

I assume you are doing this online since the questions you are asking me you could get answered by one of their reps when you call them. Taxes and fees are standard and will not be anything out of the ordinary. As for installation, I do not know your particular situation but Time Warner has never charged me for installation. If it involves major work like tearing up sidewalks, digging trenches they may get you to commit to a contract just to recoup costs. Just call and ask your questions and then say you prefer to do everything online if you want, there is no difference in price or anything. I personally would do it over the phone. If TWC already services your area (your neighbors have it), I am pretty sure that installation is free. I only have internet with them and my prices have remained stable for some time now at around $40 a month total for the 15mbps (standard service). I actually get closer to 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or