U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
When we went to 100 Mbps years ago it was you could really tell which sites had high speed "on the other end". Last few years, that problem is getting less and less obvious which, I think, means the rest of the USA is getting faster.

Those sites are sitting in data centers usually on a backbone, the speed available has nothing to do with it. It comes down to cost, the amount of data you can send and how fast is big factor in what you will pay for the server.

Quote:
So they have moved NetFlix, Hulu, and other high demand video services to their local servers.
Larger services like this are going to have multiple data centers for different parts of the country and backup.

I'm not saying it's not worth it but 100Mbps is more than plenty for the needs of most people.

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-31-2016 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That being said, it can come in handy for a few things... like uploading video to the cloud. So if you don't want to wait around, it'll be useful.
HDV might be 25Mbps so it would take about 15 minutes for 1 hour on his current connection. The HD camcorders with the flash are using something like 14Mbps.... Yes you have to wait a little but how often are you going to do that and is it really a priority that it it's takes less than that?

To each his own but I would need a bigger reason than having to wait around a few minutes for large uploads.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:02 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
OP stated it was 1Gb NOT 1GB. Note the lower case b which means bits NOT bytes. So Peregrine was correct after all. 1Gbps is 10x faster than 100Mbps. As far as I know 1GB does not exist with home internet service. Most people don't notice or know the difference between lower and upper case.

Bits, Bytes and Bandwidth Reference Guide
Peregrine was talking about 1GB. Note the upper case B means bytes NOT bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's pretty fast. 1GB is 10X faster.
Sorry, gguerra, but 1GB is not 10X faster than 100Mb.

Just trying to help clear up confusion.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
HDV might be 25Mbps so it would take about 15 minutes for 1 hour on his current connection. The HD camcorders with the flash are using something like 14Mbps.... Yes you have to wait a little but how often are you going to do that and is it really a priority that it it's takes less than that?

To each his own but I would need a bigger reason than having to wait around a few minutes for large uploads.
Videos that I record with my phone go at a rate of about 350MB per minute of recording (including sound). Video from my GoPro takes up a little more. I recorded an hours worth of video at a local sporting and I had nearly 20gb of footage.... compressed.

I usually upload my video from my lab where my speed is limited by our 1gb ethernet network. It takes a few minutes.

At home, where I currently have 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up, it would take several hours to upload on a good day. The upgrades available to me from my current provider (Comcast) are for 75/10 ($3 more) and 2000/2000 ($299/mo).

I also have the alternative of FIOS which offers me better lower tier alternatives (their lower tier plans have the same speed up and down). I've never been compelled to switch, but maybe I should look into it more. Their fastest option available in my area is 500/500 for $269/mo. Comcast seems to be a better deal.

Then again, I have a good setup where I can just use my lab when I need a fast connection. But the alternatives are affordable.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Videos that I record with my phone go at a rate of about 350MB per minute of recording (including sound). Video from my GoPro takes up a little more. I recorded an hours worth of video at a local sporting and I had nearly 20gb of footage.... compressed.
All video on any of these devices is using some lossy compression and it will usually be some MPEG4 derivative. Uncompressed video is huge, the most efficient lossless codec I'm aware of is Huffy and I if recall correctly it's about 35GB per hour for 720*480. 1080 would probably be in the 200GB range. Uncompressed AVI is about 2 or 3 times more. LOL

Quote:
At home, where I currently have 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up, it would take several hours to upload on a good day.
The point I'm trying to make is how often is the average person going to be doing this? If it's for backup who cares how long it takes and if it's for public display Grandma can wait a few hours to see Jr. riding his bike.

If it's priority you can always re-encode to lower quality before uploading.

I'm on Comcast too, I would love to have the OP's speed for that price and be quite happy with it but there is only one remote possibility where that kind of speed would be a priority and even then it's not a huge problem.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,326 times
1GB speed is fast than 100mb.you can decide if the extra money.its up to you.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:34 AM

4,581 posts, read 8,190,996 times
Not to get all technical. But communication speed is measured in bits. Byte is a structured data in computers denoting a storage size. Yes, we all know that a byte consists of 8 bits. But it's one unit (and historically, it wasn't always 8 bits). A communication pipe lies at the physical layer, and all it understands are 0's and 1's. So the bandwidth/speed is based on how many of those it can throw out in a second.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
All video on any of these devices is using some lossy compression and it will usually be some MPEG4 derivative. Uncompressed video is huge, the most efficient lossless codec I'm aware of is Huffy and I if recall correctly it's about 35GB per hour for 720*480. 1080 would probably be in the 200GB range. Uncompressed AVI is about 2 or 3 times more. LOL

The point I'm trying to make is how often is the average person going to be doing this? If it's for backup who cares how long it takes and if it's for public display Grandma can wait a few hours to see Jr. riding his bike.

If it's priority you can always re-encode to lower quality before uploading.

I'm on Comcast too, I would love to have the OP's speed for that price and be quite happy with it but there is only one remote possibility where that kind of speed would be a priority and even then it's not a huge problem.
Indeed. All my video uses a lossy compression. Most of my video stays in its original format. I use the standard resolution (4k). I don't really want to downgrade to the low resolutions you indicated. (I do currently use 720p for surveillance video)

I was discussing my use-case. I'm not sure why you would think my use-case applies to the average person. It might, but that's not the point I was trying to make. I was just indicating that at the affordable price point, I was considering it.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:20 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,664,736 times
Yes, if you have the funds to cover. I'm contemplating the 2GB option for $300 as the 150MB I currently have feels slower than a few years ago running on any platform (I have all platforms in my home).

Old 05-05-2016, 08:20 AM

36 posts, read 55,299 times
The OP didn't post what are the upload/download speeds, for example, one of my clients got new Time Warner Max 350 mb service, it's rated 350 megabit download, 20 megabit upload. While this may be good in a predominately download environment, my client was a business, they uploaded a lot of files to their website, youtube vids, and had hosted exchange email, somewhat upload intensive.

One day I showed them how my 25 megabit 4G-LTE mobile hotspot was slightly faster in uploads to their FTP server than their so called "max" service.

Also, too, on these superfast Internet circuits I am seeing traffic shaping going on (or perhaps some slow routes along the way), whereby websites limit the amount of bandwidth you can utilize, distributing an even load of traffic across all its visitors. So just because you may have lightning fast gigabit doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get a gigabit. I'll repeat what some here have said, whether the OP needs gb just depends on what he's doing with it, and whether it's worth an extra $1200 per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet