U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 02:19 PM

29,632 posts, read 16,057,450 times

Advertisements

The Antivirus Industry’s Dirty Little Secret
The Antivirus industry has a dirty little secret that they really don’t want anyone to know. Despite the claims of their marketing departments, their products are not all that effective. Many of them are only protecting against at best 80% or 90% of the threats out there in the wild at any time.
I don't think it's much of a secret, but the graph at the link is interesting. It is rating the reactive response (y-axis) and the proactive response (x-axis).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:30 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,732,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Antivirus industry has a dirty little secret that they really don’t want anyone to know. Despite the claims of their marketing departments, their products are not all that effective. Many of them are only protecting against at best 80% or 90% of the threats out there in the wild at any time.
I don't think it's much of a secret, but the graph at the link is interesting. It is rating the reactive response (y-axis) and the proactive response (x-axis).
Interesting. I tend to use Avira on Windows boxes, and it looks to be decent enough relatively speaking.

I also do additional things to reduce the impact of potential threats, however:

(1) I always keep an image backup of a clean OS install and 2-3 recent image backups of my most important PCs. That way, I can fall back to a known point. Or all the way back to the beginning.

(2) Test the above backups periodically. :-) That means doing test restores, not just comparisons.

(3) Backup important files (music, photos, movies, financial info, PW files, etc.) to multiple locations.

(4) Obtain new software from verified sources whenever possible. I try to minimize those, and I also try to grab something and use it for a while on one PC, then distribute that software to other PCs inside my network once I see things are ok.

I also use more than one platform, and I have multiple bootable USB sticks and LiveCDs around for emergency use if everything else fails. I really don't like not having a working PC.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:55 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Your average IT/techie type person has known this for years. Your average computer user thinks AV will protect them from any existing threat they might run in to.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:23 AM

29,632 posts, read 16,057,450 times
What I use is not even on their chart.

Webroot does anti-virus in a totally different manner. It tracks file activity rather than the actual files. So that I could have a infected file on my machine that's dormant. But when it goes active, that's when Webroot detects it. Use it on my phone as well.

As a backup, I use the free Lavasoft anti-virus as a second tier "normal" virus/suspicious file checker.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:37 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,546,727 times
I use plain old free Avira. Works pretty well. The main thing to remember is to back up regularly. The reviews on webrot are mixed, and it doesn't seem to work for everyone. It's been around for some time, as the company was founded nearly 20 years ago. I don't like anything that is cloud, and prefer to have things on the computer itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet