U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 01:06 AM

39,804 posts, read 57,659,871 times

Advertisements

I am seeing this message quite often. Why?

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at News, Sports, Business & Events | mySanAntonio.com | SA Express-News - San Antonio Express-News Port 80"

Do I need to install Apache Web Server on my computer? I never installed it before, and never had any problems reading websites.

System:
HP, Windows 7 Home Premium, ADM 4-3400 APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 2.70 GHz
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 01:43 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Apache is server software running on the server you are acessing, you wouldn't install it unless you wanted to run a server.

The message you are getting is just a generic error page telling you that you do not have server permissions to access that resource. There is variety of reasons why that may be but someone that is running the site probably goofed somewhere.

That page loads for me,if it works for you now just ignore it. If it still doesn't load for you then you might of ended up on IP block list or something. Contact the site owner.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:49 AM

Thank you!!
San Antonio Express News is not the only website blocked. I encounter it from time to time on various websites. Usually news.
There is no block list on my IP.
Just curious, because I get the same when I run Chrome at work from my pendrive.

BTW: the above page isn't loading on my computer.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There is no block list on my IP.
There is really no way for you determine this, for example if you are using my site and the activity is suspicious I may have something in place that adds your IP to a list.

What is specifically causing this I have no idea and couldn't tell you without access to the server, all I can tell you is for whatever reason the server is denying you access to the resource. As I said contact the site owner. Include your IP, the error message and the time you get the error. They can check the logs to see what is occurring.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:48 AM

Ah... I thought there is a way to create some sort of a block list. Completely forgot about the possibility that someone would want to block my IP.

I wonder if that has something to do with another bizarre behavior - I also get quite often a message from Google that I can't search something, because my computer thinks I am a bot sending automated queries, and torture me with CAPTCHA.
Even after I read blobby text and type it into a box, I get "we are sorry..." reply...
My PC's not on a network. I turned off the power to the modem. I rebooted my PC. (Both as a way to reset the IP address, if possible.) I did a virus scan. I cleared my cookies. It's been hours, days and weeks, and nothing on Google's end has reset. I still kept getting the message.
I filled out the Google form, but there is no help. I went to support page, just to find out that there are hundreds of members and about 6,000 threads about the same... and no reply from the admins. People try to help each other, but no one found a solution.
It sucks... and seems that Google is trying really hard to make me use Bing.
And it's funny that while Google is blocking real people doing searches thinking they are bots - when you try to contact them, all you get is automated response... from a bot.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I wonder if that has something to do with another bizarre behavior - I also get quite often a message from Google that I can't search something, because my computer thinks I am a bot sending automated queries, and torture me with CAPTCHA.
I would suggest it's probably related. Block lists (or blacklists)can be custom or shared. It may not be an individual IP that is blocked but a range. You can also contact your ISP and make an inquiry. Something like this can be csuedd by someone else that used the same IP previously or is in the same range.

Are you by any chance using any software the prefetches links to check them? That type of behavior is bot like.

This may not return positive result because it's for spam IP's but you should not be on it.

Email Blacklist Check - See if your server is blacklisted

Old 04-13-2016, 07:53 AM

4,877 posts, read 2,497,770 times
have you tried a different pc/cellular-fone/tablet/watch/... connected to the same router ?

have you tried the same pc connected to a different router (like at a cafe) ?

i assume you are running ms-windows or mac-os; i would boot up something like fedora live-usb to cross out the possibility that its not some windows specific virus/bug/malware.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:02 PM

18,511 posts, read 55,427,357 times
A way around a lot of blocks. From time to time the satellite DNS that is a required part of using satellite service gets munged and I can't access some sites. During those periods I use a site like this:

https://www.proxysite.com/

Old 04-13-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A way around a lot of blocks. From time to time the satellite DNS that is a required part of using satellite service gets munged and I can't access some sites. During those periods I use a site like this:

https://www.proxysite.com/
Satellite service certainly could be the issue, I know in the past I had an issue where Hughes customers were producing bot like behavior. Images and other files were being served through a script with the correct header to tell the browser what it is:

example.com/file.php?id=123456

Once loaded you can right click and save with original filename, name_used_to_upload.jpg.

Hughes was hitting my server for example.com/name_used_to_upload.jpg, there is no file name_used_to_upload.jpg. Every page load there might be 20 errors generated in the logs. If someone is monitoring for bots that is something that will trip it.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:14 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,220 times
elnina, I wanted to this:

When I have a system or systems at a location that cannot access certain websites, from the effected machine, open the command prompt (cmd) and run the ping and tracert commands using the web site (see attached screenshot).

This would help you have a better idea if there is a connectivity issue to that site/server or if you are being blocked or perhaps even some sort of a DNS issue (can ping by IP address but not by site name) or your ISP might be at fault.

Fir instance, if you are able to ping but instead of seeing the IPv4 address (should be default), you are getting the IPv6 address displaying, there might be an issue with connectivity caused by your router or even ISP. This is more true when you can successfully run trace route.

Just my 2 cents worth (and it probably is worth just that)!

Attached Thumbnails
Apache server-ping_tracert.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or