U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 PM
509 509 started this thread

3,297 posts, read 4,246,588 times

Advertisements

The following site will allow you to look at various issues regarding high speed internet throughout the US. Be careful...the government defines high speed as greater than 3 Mbps!!

http://www.broadbandmap.gov/

Anyway, you can do your own database quiries. I was interested in how many homes in Washington state had access to fiber. Here are the results. Answers appear a little bit high, compared to data from local sources but well within 10%. Data is from 2014.

If you are interested in fiber access in various parts of the country....this will answer your questions. Particularly helpful if you are moving.

Here is the part of the data for Washington state to give you an idea of the data set.

This is from the National Broadband database. These are the percent of homes in each county that have fiber access to the house (end user).

Franklin 90.3%
Chelan 85.8%
Benton 74.9%
Yakima 74.2%
Pend O 74.1%
Douglas 67.4%
Snohomish 66.7%
Cowlitz 65.8%
Grays H 59.9%
Grant 58.9%

Other well known counties.....

Pierce 39%
King 14.2%
Clark 13.0%
Spokane 4.1%
Thurston 1.4%

Interesting......Lots of rural areas with high speed internet.

AND here is the same data by metro area in Washington state.

Wenatchee/East Wenatchee 80.0%
Richland, Pasco, Kennewick 79.5%
Yakima 74.2%
Portland/Vancouver 70.0%
Longview 65.8%
Bremerton, Silverdale 32.0%
Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue 29.9%
Mount Vernon, Anacortes 6.2%
Bellingham 4.4%
Spokane 4.1%
Olympia 1.4%
Lewiston, Clarkston 0%

The Portland/Vancouver number is ALL Portland if you compare to the county data. I was surprised at the small numbers for Olympia and Lewiston!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 07:57 AM

31,135 posts, read 50,288,259 times
I checked for my town.

Verizon Communications Inc. - they do provide cellphone service here. Their tower has a fiber optic cable going to it.

ViaSat, Inc. - a satelite service? I have not heard of them.

Lightyear Network Solutions - described as a wireless service. I have not heard of them.

AT&T Inc. - a cellphone company, but they do not have any towers here. So unless they piggyback on the verizon tower, I doubt it.

Otelco Inc. - this is the company that owns our landline company as a subsidiary. Twisted copper wire pairs are what we get for 'dsl'. The fiber stops 6.5 miles away in the next town over. All that comes into this town for landline is copper wire.

Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. - described as a wireless service. I have not heard of them.

Premium Choice Broadband - described as a wireless service. I have not heard of them.

Spacenet - a satellite service? I have not heard of them.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:51 AM

18,511 posts, read 55,427,357 times
ViaSat is the mothership for "Exede" It handles a lot of military traffic.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:16 AM

Large data sets always have errors sneak into them, but it still might be correct.

We have municipal broadband at the wholesale level; at the retail level we are down to TWO residential internet providers outside the cable and telephone company that use their own infrastructure.

However, the Chelan County PUD site shows an additional six companies providing internet services.to business users.

It is a good starting part. The more interesting part of the database is comparing areas of the country for the services offered. Even here in Washington state I was familar with the fiber services in most of the counties. I did not realize that some counties keep the extent of their fiber networks fairly quiet.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
ViaSat is the mothership for "Exede" It handles a lot of military traffic.
Satellite service is generally available everywhere. Hughes Net, DirecTV, Dish, etc.

I was thinking about fiber-optic.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Satellite service is generally available everywhere. Hughes Net, DirecTV, Dish, etc.

I was thinking about fiber-optic.
Did you select fiber in your query??

Old 04-23-2016, 02:28 PM

I did 'all' and then again 'fiber'.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:28 PM

where did you find the list of providers....post a link.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Large data sets always have errors sneak into them, but it still might be correct.
Marketing departments commonly make blanket statements; like "We offer services everywhere". So they are put into databases accordingly. Then if you unwittingly believe those marketing claims, you find out that they serve a total of three zipcode out of hundreds of thousands of zip codes.

Or like just before I moved to Maine, Verizon marketing told me that they serve all of Maine. After I moved to Maine I found that Verizon was not in Maine at all. In fact Verizon had exactly '0' cell phone towers in the state of Maine. It took me 8 months of fighting them to finally get them to release me from their contract. [All the while they fully knew that they did not offer any services in the state of Maine. When I finally was able to fight my way through their marketing department, and to a tech with a clue, he admitted this to me]

Five years later, Verizon bought my local cell phone company. Today they are the 'only game in town'.

I am well aware of how these 'errors' get in the system. They know that if you believe their marketing scam, they can get you into a contract that will take many months before you can fight your way out of.

Been there, done that, I have the T-shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
where did you find the list of providers....post a link.
Okay.

It was in the OP. You may wish to speak with the OP poster. A poster that goes by '509'.

Here is the link: http://www.broadbandmap.gov/

You enter your town, and it presents a list of theoretical providers.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:44 PM

I did talk to 509, and my wife asked "are you having a conversation with yourself?"

OK....you entered an address on the first page. I clicked on Analyze the Data and ran a query.

For Chelan County it showed ALL the "internet" providers that own the infrastructure.

So it shows Chelan County PUD which owns the fiber network in the county. BUT it does not show all the ISP's that use the PUD network to provide internet, phone, and cable TV services to local residents.

That is pretty typical. For some reason the concept of a municipal network that is open to ANYBODY that wants to become a ISP just doesn't register!!

It was complete for our area, but does look like they just used the cable and telecom advertisements for showing speed, etc.

The data set, however, is pretty close to the estimate for households that have fiber to the home in the county. So they have some good data, and some missing data.

As with all large data sets.....your mileage my vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet