Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 01:54 PM

2,902 posts, read 1,959,045 times

Advertisements

Want to warn people about a hacking attempt I experienced recently on Drudgereport.com. Over the course of two days I visited that site a total of three times. The page froze each time, I couldn't even 'x' out of Firefox, had to shut down. The last time when I powered back up and clicked on Firefox the page immediately redirected to something starting with 'chinese' but redirected right away again before I could read the whole website name, to my banking login page.

I had visited my banking site, then another site before going to drudgereport, so it wasn't just some kind of hiccup where Firefox went to the previous website I had visited before going to drudgereport.

When I brought this up on the Linux Mint forums I received great advice on firejail and running Firefox in Sandbox for more security, so will be setting that up soon. Also changed all of my passwords. Just wanted to warn anyone who visits that site to be extra vigilant. Not having had many problems with hacking attempts on my PC I was a little complacent after the first two times having my PC freeze on that site. Thought maybe one of the video advertisements that sometimes loads on that site may have been the reason, but obviously it wasn't.

Not surprised drudgereport.com is being targeted. He's a big supporter of Trump, and the Chinese are on edge about him possibly becoming President. I thought of posting this on the current events or political forums so it would be seen by more people who probably use the site, but I'm sure this thread would have been moved or closed. Hopefully they'll see it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 03:41 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,752,201 times
I didn't see this behavior Drudgereport.com on my end. I do run a basic antivirus.

I know it has been hacked before. It's a huge target. I did a quick check and I didn't spot any news about a current Drudgereport hack.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:57 AM

701 posts, read 1,421,258 times
Sorry, no sympathy for anyone who visits Drudge Report regularly for "news". It's digital toilet paper.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:22 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,217,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
Sorry, no sympathy for anyone who visits Drudge Report regularly for "news". It's digital toilet paper.
All Drudge report does is post links to articles from a wide range of sources. Unlike many liberal "news" sites that post only their own propaganda. I read news from many sites both liberal and conservative. Otherwise you never get the whole story. I can say that liberal sites are much more biased and tend to push the opinion rather than real news that conservative sites. However you cant really trust conservative sites either. They have their own share of propaganda too.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:28 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,795,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
The page froze each time, I couldn't even 'x' out of Firefox, had to shut down. The last time when I powered back up and clicked on Firefox the page immediately redirected to something starting with 'chinese' but redirected right away again before I could read the whole website name,
Probably a malicious ad. If you are seeing something appearing when you open Firefox make sure your homepage wasn't changed.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:17 PM

26,144 posts, read 19,705,027 times
Thumbs down *

Hackers ruined www.reverseinternet.com also!! (Still isnt restored)

But they only affected the main page!! (You can still use the site by going to: www.reverseinternet.com/domain/)

I wonder why the site owners havent restored it?? (Its been about 2 weeks)

Old 05-22-2016, 07:31 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,880,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Probably a malicious ad. If you are seeing something appearing when you open Firefox make sure your homepage wasn't changed.
Likely this. No one should be surfing the web without a decent browser and an ad blocker, compromised ad networks are a primary attack vector. I block ads because they're a security risk, not because I just don't like seeing them.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:42 PM

26,144 posts, read 19,705,027 times
Yea and alot of sites complain about us blocking the spam...... I WONDER WHY RIGHT DAVE??

More risk than not.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet