U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 07:33 PM

109 posts, read 155,018 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is actually such a thing as a device/adapter/antenna/reception-booster that will legitimately and significantly improve the distance of the reception for a computer's/laptop's Wi-Fi adapter/receiver?

And, similarly, is there a way to improve/increase the Wi-Fi signal reception on a cell phone?

About 3-4 years ago, I recall seeing someone on Craigslist selling some sort of Wi-Fi antenna/signal reception-booster device that (I think) plugged in to the USB port of a computer and increased the distance of which your computer would be able to detect Wi-Fi signals from. From what I recall, the guy specifically stated that this antenna/booster would allow you to be able to detect Wi-Fi signals from as far as 1 mile away. He even referenced a McDonald's at an intersection near his home that was about a mile away that he was able to connect to the Wi-Fi at from inside his home. He was asking around $50-$60 for it, from what I recall; but I did not have the money to buy it at the time. Pus, he was like an hour's drive away from me, and I just did not end up being able to buy it before the post expired.

I would also like to clarify that I am not asking about this for any dangerous or illegal purposes. The reality is that I have often struggled financially in recent years, and I've had my home Internet service disconnected by the cable company on several occasions and have been without Internet service for days at a time, until I could come up with the money to pay the bill again. So, this is something that I have wanted to find out about for a while now, as whenever this has happened and I've been without Internet access at home, I have always wanted to at least be able to get online while at home. And with there being so many open Wi-Fi connections these days, it's likely that there would be one within a mile or so from my house, so I would like to try to find out about this antenna/reception-booster I heard about a few years ago and see if they do legitimately work and if I might be able to afford one some time in the near future.

As for the cell phone Wi-Fi reception question, I would really like to try to find out and learn more about this potential benefit, as well, if there's such a thing for a cell phone/portable device. For example, my work has a free open Wi-Fi connection, but it's not very good/strong/clear, and I usually can't even connect to it while right outside of the building, so I wanted to also ask if there is possibly a way to increase the Wi-Fi signal reception of a cell phone? I currently have a Nexus 5 (a little outdated now, I know), which, I think, has relatively poor Wi-Fi signal distance reception, so it'd be nice to be able to improve it, if possible. Obviously, I would like to upgrade to a newer phone, and would really like to be able to get a Nexus 6 or the newer Nexus 5X, but I'm not sure when that will be realistic, so I wanted to at least ask about trying to improve the reception on my Nexus 5. Also, are there certain phones with markedly better Wi-Fi reception than others? If so, if anyone is familiar with this topic, please do feel free to reply.

As always, sorry for writing so much. And thanks to everyone who offers a helpful response!

P.S. Is it supposed to be Wi-Fi or WiFi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet