U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 12:05 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
So, probably CL still has some value in selling old or unneeded stuff but not like finding an IT gig for real...
I've found a lot of stuff, can;t go wrong with automotive stuff. Last two cars I bought were CL cars, I sold one to a guy about 200 miles away but that was special car. Got the stock premium rims for my car that are $250 each retail new, all 4 for $150 slightly used. Bought a 2 ton engine hoist for about $125, they are $300 new. That was actually a little humorous because there was a lot of new ones on there, bunch of idiots buying new ones for one time job. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 12:18 AM

5,326 posts, read 5,209,582 times
Whatever you do never hire people from CL. Buying was OK in my experience, I buy "niche" modestly priced stuff crooks have no taste for, but hiring was total nightmare, CL crooks, liars, incompetents gave me a lesson that would last for the rest of my non senile life.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:08 AM

2,763 posts, read 3,060,910 times
We sold tens of thousands of dollars of mechanic/repair shop tools for a friend using CL as the major advertising component. We got a few attempts to make low ball or fraudulent like approaches but they were pretty obvious and none succeeded.

We used only the CL anonymous email for initial communication. If/when there was interest and we got 'comfortable' enough to call the buyer, where we did more 'vetting' on the phone.

Mostly cash only except a few we knew/vetted locally or who clearly represented businesses which we checked out and took business check . Must come look, no shipping (one exception BUT they had to send the check and wait a week for us to cash it). Some no shows.

Despite this, I'm reluctant to advertise an older/cheaper used car there, though I'm sure it would get some interest.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 AM

219 posts, read 82,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Whatever you do never hire people from CL. Buying was OK in my experience, I buy "niche" modestly priced stuff crooks have no taste for, but hiring was total nightmare, CL crooks, liars, incompetents gave me a lesson that would last for the rest of my non senile life.
What if you ask potential hire to demonstrate their relevant skills first. For instance, I'm an experienced web application and database programmer and I have several demo versions for their corresponding production versions to show potential clients.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:31 PM

219 posts, read 82,273 times
Have you thought about this? What if CL has some sort of reputable rating system for its users then it would increase the odds of not wasting time regardless of whatever you do on CL. In other words, CL has not improved its service for quite some time albeit it's free.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:36 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,041,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
So, probably CL still has some value in selling old or unneeded stuff but not like finding an IT gig for real...
CL is pretty far down the list of options for job hunting, I think.

You can find some good deals, and you can usually find a buyer for your junk, or at least someone who will come take it away for free.

But, yeah, there are plenty of scammers, and low-lifes trying to take your bread. So, caution is key.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:01 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Whatever you do never hire people from CL.
Not sure if it was CL but I saw recent news report of a couple hiring movers from the internet. They carefully loaded their stuff up in moving truck and they haven't seen them since. Talk about balls.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:48 AM

11,137 posts, read 5,040,223 times
I have had luck selling 2 motorcycles and a nice Precor Elliptical.

The first motorcycle I put on CL which was mine, I had many flakes the first summer. So I stored it until the next summer, then I had so many that wanted it they were trying to outbid each other! LOL

Just depends on which cycle you hit when you post...you could hit the flake or serious folk cycle.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:08 AM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 6 days ago)

15,444 posts, read 8,958,787 times
Patience, Grasshopper. What do you expect from a free advertising website? Apparently people expect far more than they should. I've had much success with both selling and buying. Craigslist is great for selling used heavy items that won't get you any money at a garage sale, especially old cars. Craigslist is also a great venue for buying used furniture and gym equipment. You just have to be selective.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:16 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,041,057 times
I just talked to a fellow who hired a plumber off CL. He said the guy came in. looked the place over, told him he needed 500 bucks to buy parts, and would be back next week with the parts.

Says he gave him the money and never saw him again. He is planning to sue CL.

I asked him if he plans to hire the lawyer from CL.
He said yes.

Oy Vey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or