U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2016, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,894 posts, read 4,418,296 times
Reputation: 3934

Advertisements

Here's the thing. I don't mind ads at all before YouTube videos. Some make a living off of YouTube Channels, and heck, I even had tossed around the idea myself. But, those ads aren't always appropriate, i.e., wanting to show your little son a YouTube of Baby Einstein, and some horror flick is being advertised before and during the video. Nope! Now, if the ads are specific to the nature of the video, I don't mind the ads at all. Heck, it might even entice me to buy whatever is being advertised. But, that isn't always the case, and those ads aren't always appropriate.

One thing to try and do is to block the domains from where the ads are being generated from. You can possibly do this through your router at home. If the router is able to block ads from those domains, you shouldn't see the video ads appear on YouTube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,587 posts, read 2,574,113 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Here's the thing. I don't mind ads at all before YouTube videos. Some make a living off of YouTube Channels, and heck, I even had tossed around the idea myself. But, those ads aren't always appropriate, i.e., wanting to show your little son a YouTube of Baby Einstein, and some horror flick is being advertised before and during the video. Nope! Now, if the ads are specific to the nature of the video, I don't mind the ads at all. Heck, it might even entice me to buy whatever is being advertised. But, that isn't always the case, and those ads aren't always appropriate.

One thing to try and do is to block the domains from where the ads are being generated from. You can possibly do this through your router at home. If the router is able to block ads from those domains, you shouldn't see the video ads appear on YouTube.
I've never tried this before but it sounds to me to be the same as using a simple AdBlock. I'm curious how domain blocking method will affect YouTube playback. And since you'd be blocking on the router level, It may fail to play the video all together, especially on mobile devices.

I still think YouTube RED is the way to go. Plus you get Google Music included ^.^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2016, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,894 posts, read 4,418,296 times
Reputation: 3934
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I've never tried this before but it sounds to me to be the same as using a simple AdBlock. I'm curious how domain blocking method will affect YouTube playback. And since you'd be blocking on the router level, It may fail to play the video all together, especially on mobile devices.

I still think YouTube RED is the way to go. Plus you get Google Music included ^.^
It's worth a try. If it doesn't work, just simply unblock the domain. I actually got the idea off of a reddit entry where someone did this so that they didn't have to see ads on Roku devices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2016, 02:28 PM
 
40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Reputation: 16767
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
But, those ads aren't always appropriate, i.e., wanting to show your little son a YouTube of Baby Einstein,
Ads should not be appearing on your personal videos unless you have enabled them so you can be paid for clicks. The other possibility is someone claimed copyright to them and allowed the video as long as there ads were being displayed. This is the case where the video/audio is obviously copyrighted by someone else such as a song, the copyright owner is getting the ad revenue from it in lieu of having it taken down. You should be notified of this if someone claims copyright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2016, 02:34 PM
 
1,030 posts, read 1,810,630 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You want to watch free videos, watch some ads. I really don't understand why people do NOT get this.
If we all started blocking ads, guess what? YouTube will no longer be free. Vimeo, not free.
I'm not ASKING for all the ads to disappear....I just want them to put them at sensible intervals.....not right in the middle of a conversation, etc.!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2016, 02:38 PM
 
427 posts, read 388,911 times
Reputation: 428
Go Red! Try it for free for your first month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2016, 03:29 PM
 
Location: San Diego
36,707 posts, read 33,187,094 times
Reputation: 21064
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Too bad there isn't one for TV's.



I didn't know any of the cable networks streamed live on YouTube. I'll have to check that out.



On a computer, maybe. But not possible on a TV.
There is, it's called DVR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2016, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,894 posts, read 4,418,296 times
Reputation: 3934
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Ads should not be appearing on your personal videos unless you have enabled them so you can be paid for clicks. The other possibility is someone claimed copyright to them and allowed the video as long as there ads were being displayed. This is the case where the video/audio is obviously copyrighted by someone else such as a song, the copyright owner is getting the ad revenue from it in lieu of having it taken down. You should be notified of this if someone claims copyright.
Not personal videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2016, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,894 posts, read 4,418,296 times
Reputation: 3934
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There is, it's called DVR.
DVR YouTube?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2016, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Reputation: 8068
I don't know... Hulu and Crackle show ads during whatever you're watching. I still don't see the big deal. It's certainly less ads then "normal" TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top