U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:03 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,572,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't know... Hulu and Crackle show ads during whatever you're watching. I still don't see the big deal. It's certainly less ads then "normal" TV.
Tis true.

Pay for premium if you don't like the ads. Otherwise, use an adblocker. An adblocker won't help you on any "streaming" devices or mobile devices though, so just keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 03:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
The OP is about ads interrupting YouTube videos. He isn't talking about not having any ads at all. Just doesn't want them in the middle of a YT video. That is a perfectly legit complaint. Show two or three ads before the video if you have to, but interrupting the video is just plain stupid.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:57 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
I normally agree with Skinsguy at probably a 95% rate, but not this time, brother.
It absolutely should be time based.
A 10 minute video? One ad at the beginning. A 2 hour video? I see no issue with some ad breaks in there.
When else you going to go tot he bathroom or check your phone?

Old 06-03-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I normally agree with Skinsguy at probably a 95% rate, but not this time, brother.
A 10 minute video? One ad at the beginning. A 2 hour video? I see no issue with some ad breaks in there.
He did say that he'd rather have all of the ads play at the beginning... but there's got to be a cut off I suppose.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:12 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,808,944 times
Quote:
I don't know... Hulu and Crackle show ads during whatever you're watching. I still don't see the big deal. It's certainly less ads then "normal" TV.
AGAIN....it isn't that there ARE ads.....it's that they just pop in....in the middle of a conversation or some other critical part of the video....up pops an ad and disrupts the scene. At least on "normal" TV, they wait until a break in the scene.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:05 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Well they can't really do that on YouTube. They'd have to pay someone to watch them all and manually insert ads.

You're getting free content. Yea, it might be annoying, personally I see no big deal. Someone has to help Google make a profit or there will be no YouTube. ....and today? You have an option: pay for YouTube Red.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:

LOL! Good point on the bathroom breaks! Being a parent, sometimes that's the only break I have!

To me, here's the thing. Most people, including myself, don't mind a short, 15-second ad at the beginning of a video. If it's a 2 hour long video, show three or four ads at the beginning of the video. I would be OK with this.

A two hour video is more than likely a concert you're wanting to watch. Maybe you're making a special evening where you have friends over and you all are gathering around the TV to watch a full length concert of your favorite band. You got the lights off, concert on the big screen, it's in High Definition, surround sound going, drink in hand. You and your friends get lost in the idea that you all are actually there watching your band live. You're all up on your feet, singing and dancing along to your favorite song, when all of a sudden, a video ad pops up interrupting the flow of the concert and your favorite song. You can't tell me this would not be annoying? Now, aside from the legalities of whether or not the concert should be posted to YouTube, this would be the very reason to want to make sure no ads interrupt videos. So, a person either forks over $120/year for YouTube Red, or they find ways of blocking the ads or downloading the videos.

Just FYI, blocking the ad sites at the router does in fact block the video ads on YouTube. Of course, you'll have to update your blacklist from time to time, but it is very effective if you have devices like smart TVs or Roku that you use to watch YouTube videos on. Now, it doesn't block commercials on cable apps like HGTV or A&E, but most of that content allows for commercial breaks anyway, and the ads usually pop up during those breaks - which is fine with me.

My only annoyance are ads in the middle of a YouTube video, and the nature of the ad. I don't want a horror movie or some violent ad being played in the middle of ChuChu videos that I'm playing for my son. So, knowing that you never know what to expect with the ads, I'd rather block them. I'm not going to pay $10/month for YouTube Red, because I think that's a ridiculous charge just so I'm not seeing ads. I don't care about YouTube premium content.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:53 PM

For what it's worth, you also get Google Music in that cost. I don't think there's much to complain about here.

If you're watching a very long video on YouTube, then it's just like watching TV. There are commercial breaks. No one likes them, but they are there. If you want them gone, then you pay the premium.

For all of the insane amount of content that you get from YouTube, I could hardly think of a complaint over a little more than 1 meal while out and about for unlimited videos without ads!

Old 06-08-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
For what it's worth, you also get Google Music in that cost. I don't think there's much to complain about here.
Don't need or want Google Music. I can stream music via Spotify or Pandora, I can buy physical CD's from Amazon or used from half.com dirty cheap, or I can simply buy off of iTunes.

Quote:
If you're watching a very long video on YouTube, then it's just like watching TV. There are commercial breaks. No one likes them, but they are there. If you want them gone, then you pay the premium.
Nope. If you want them gone, then you block the ads.

Quote:
For all of the insane amount of content that you get from YouTube, I could hardly think of a complaint over a little more than 1 meal while out and about for unlimited videos without ads!
Or, I can spend that $10 on my son, making sure he has clothes or food, and block the ads through my router.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Don't need or want Google Music. I can stream music via Spotify or Pandora, I can buy physical CD's from Amazon or used from half.com dirty cheap, or I can simply buy off of iTunes.

Nope. If you want them gone, then you block the ads.
Then get on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Or, I can spend that $10 on my son, making sure he has clothes or food, and block the ads through my router.
If $10 will make or break whether or not your son gets food or clothes, then I'm afraid you might need to look at your budgeting a bit.

Block them through your router and stop complaining then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or