U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 11:03 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times

Advertisements

Yea, I gotta' agree with Wolf on this one.
Aren't you tired of Pandora ads? You can get some cheap CD's...sure...or for the cost of 2 or 3 of those cheap CD's you can get unlimited COMMERCIAL FREE streaming music, commercial free YouTube, the ability to background stream YouTube on your phone and even download videos for offline play. You can try it for 99 cents a month for 3 months. Cheaper then ONE track on iTunes per month. And at the full cost about the same price as 4 tracks on iTunes...

Pay up, or suck it up.

Me? I don't mind commercials. I use free Pandora for music and Google Play for podcasts. I watch movies on ad-supported Crackle. 25 GB oif Music on my phone that I own.

My wife? Pays for Spotify...

Last edited by Peregrine; 06-08-2016 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 04:17 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,414,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Then get on that!

If $10 will make or break whether or not your son gets food or clothes, then I'm afraid you might need to look at your budgeting a bit.

Block them through your router and stop complaining then!

Just shut up kid and pay your allowance to Google like a good little boy.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, I gotta' agree with Wolf on this one.
Aren't you tired of Pandora ads?
Nope.

Quote:
You can get some cheap CD's...sure...or for the cost of 2 or 3 of those cheap CD's you can get unlimited COMMERCIAL FREE streaming music, commercial free YouTube, the ability to background stream YouTube on your phone and even download videos for offline play.

I can already get all of that for free. Why would I be a sucker to pay $10?

Quote:
You can try it for 99 cents a month for 3 months. Cheaper then ONE track on iTunes per month. And at the full cost about the same price as 4 tracks on iTunes...

I tried YouTube Red for free. It's not worth $10 a month. $10 a year...sure I might be willing to pay that.

Quote:
Pay up, or suck it up.
NOOOOO!!!!!

Quote:
Me? I don't mind commercials. I use free Pandora for music and Google Play for podcasts. I watch movies on ad-supported Crackle. 25 GB oif Music on my phone that I own.

My wife? Pays for Spotify...
I think streaming music services are great for a target audience that are 20somethings and younger. Because they are the ones who listen to the most new music. They are still in the music discovery age. Us old farts have already collected most of all the music that we love, and our music purchases tend to dwindle past 40 years of age. Plus, we think a lot of the new music sucks. So, why would a 40something need a streaming music service when I already have all of the music I can listen to on my iPod in the car? It's just paying for a lot of stuff you already have. If Wolf wants to talk about budgets, let's talk about the ridiculousness of paying for something, again, that one already owns. AS for as YouTube goes, I don't watch YouTube all day long. It's called a job. I work one. I put on a kids video for my son in the morning and before he goes to bed at night, and I might watch some music videos or concert clips, but if I watch movies, I'm usually watching them on Netflix, Amazon, or Vudu. All ad free and paid services. Streaming movie services are different, because I do utilize those enough to justify the cost. Plus, they help in cutting the budget down from having to pay DirecTV a million dollars a month to have 500 shopping channels I don't watch. But, I'm sure people like Wolfy probably pays DirecTV or the cable company $200/for their services, on top of Netflix, on top of Hulu, on top of all the streaming video apps, plus all the streaming music sites. One day, one will wake up and realize that money can be better spent.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:42 PM

3,587 posts, read 2,572,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post

But, I'm sure people like Wolfy probably pays DirecTV or the cable company $200/for their services, on top of Netflix, on top of Hulu, on top of all the streaming video apps, plus all the streaming music sites. One day, one will wake up and realize that money can be better spent.
Actually, I despise DirectTV for one. For two, I haven't had or paid for TV services since the early 2000s you see because I'm able to get all of the content that I need through the Internet. Tons of hours of which are on YouTube.

I don't use Netflix, although I have nothing against the service. Hulu on the other hand is pretty awful.

I pay for the services that I want to use. I don't deal with ads because I pay for those services and I don't complain. My total bill per month in services is $15 for Spotify (6 people) and $10 for YouTube Red, that's it.

So now if you want ad free, then block them. Don't ever complain about ads for videos services unless you're willing to pay their premium.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Actually, I despise DirectTV for one. For two, I haven't had or paid for TV services since the early 2000s you see because I'm able to get all of the content that I need through the Internet. Tons of hours of which are on YouTube.

I don't use Netflix, although I have nothing against the service. Hulu on the other hand is pretty awful.

I pay for the services that I want to use. I don't deal with ads because I pay for those services and I don't complain. My total bill per month in services is $15 for Spotify (6 people) and $10 for YouTube Red, that's it.

So now if you want ad free, then block them. Don't ever complain about ads for videos services unless you're willing to pay their premium.
I'm having a conversation about ads on YouTube, I am NOT complaining about them. Just because I do not like ads popping in on a video doesn't mean I'm complaining, I'm just making a statement. Don't like my statement, get off the ****ing thread. If you're all about spending your money on YouTube Red, congratulations, spend whatever you want. But stop with your holier than though attitude statements like, "Don't like ads, pay the premium" as if people are supposed to cower down because you have spoken. Get over yourself Wolf, you're nothing but a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:12 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Easy there, Skinsguy. I think you picked up some attitude from wolf's post that he wasn't really throwing. At least, that's the impression I got. Maybe I'M wrong. That doesn't happen much, so I doubt it.

I actually agree with a lot of what you posted, not all, but a lot. Personally. I still have almost every CD I've ever bought...digitally...on my phone. I like to OWN my music. I like to SUPPORT artists. But I also REFUSE to grow old like many of my peers and sit in my rocking chair decrying "there hasn't been any good music since Iron Maiden and Judas Priest". Hogwash. We live in a wonderful day and age for discovering new music and it pains me that much of my generation thinks "there's no good music today" as every generation has done (of course). This is why I like FREE Pandora and Google Play. It turns me onto new music which I then buy.
I saw Everclear recently, the singer anyway. He said the new album sold 10,000 copies in the first month...and was streamed a quarter of a million times. Bands don't make s*** anymore because of streaming...

But then there are people like my wife: she doesn't want to buy CD's. She just wants music. And for roughly the cost of 10-12 CD's /year she gets an unlimited music library to listen to. And she has playlists for our son.

Different strokes, different folks.

As to the topic, though I will never complain about ads. I get free stuff for "watching" ads. And if a service gets way too over the top with ads I will move onto something else. Period. I am not loyal to any service that much.

Wolf39...I pay for Hulu. I like it WAY better then Amazon's video and think it's almost as good as Netflix. Seriously.
(I cut the cable a few weeks ago...Saving $70/month...)

Old 06-09-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Wolf39...I pay for Hulu. I like it WAY better then Amazon's video and think it's almost as good as Netflix. Seriously.
(I cut the cable a few weeks ago...Saving $70/month...)
Two gripes I have with Hulu.

1) Video streaming quality is pretty... questionable

2) Here is the #1 absolutely most important reason I ditched Hulu. No 5.1 support. Netflix supports this as does Amazon Video. I simply don’t enjoy my media content at 2.1 when 5.1 is available!

Old 06-14-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Easy there, Skinsguy. I think you picked up some attitude from wolf's post that he wasn't really throwing. At least, that's the impression I got. Maybe I'M wrong. That doesn't happen much, so I doubt it.
I definitely sensed some attitude. Maybe it was not intentional, but I don't care much for someone trying to censor me just because they don't agree with me, and that's what I got from his posts. Not to mentioning trying to preach to me about my budget. My whole point was to say, why pay for something I don't want or need when I can use that money to buy my kid something he needs? That was not at all saying I can't afford $10/month for YouTube Red, but that I can find better ways of spending that $10.

Quote:
I actually agree with a lot of what you posted, not all, but a lot. Personally. I still have almost every CD I've ever bought...digitally...on my phone. I like to OWN my music. I like to SUPPORT artists. But I also REFUSE to grow old like many of my peers and sit in my rocking chair decrying "there hasn't been any good music since Iron Maiden and Judas Priest". Hogwash. We live in a wonderful day and age for discovering new music and it pains me that much of my generation thinks "there's no good music today" as every generation has done (of course). This is why I like FREE Pandora and Google Play. It turns me onto new music which I then buy.
I saw Everclear recently, the singer anyway. He said the new album sold 10,000 copies in the first month...and was streamed a quarter of a million times. Bands don't make s*** anymore because of streaming...
This might derail the thread a bit, but the first thing I would say is, there's nothing wrong with growing old and staying true to who you are and what you like. I grew up in the 80's and spent most of the 90's as a teen/early 20's. So, music that was relevant when I was young was anything from Journey, Night Ranger, or Madonna, to REM, Pearl Jam, and Matchbox Twenty. I felt like those two decades were the best decades to be young, because the music was so different from one decade to the next. Heck, the music of the late 80's was completely different from the music of the early 80's, and same for the 90's. So, just those two decades alone gave me a very eclectic music library that I never get tired of. About the time I got into my 30's, it was late 2000's, and the music started sounding a bit more manufactured to me. Now, there were still a few good bands to come out of the 2000's (Evanescence, 3 Doors Down, Muse - even though I think they got their start in the 90's), but even a lot of those bands are no longer touched by top 40 radio now. So, as we start to head toward the late 2010's, I've found this decade of music to be very robotic, or dry if you will, in nature. And that's so because there is one or two teams of song writers out there who write just about everything you hear on top 40 radio. They are given a beat, a theme, and write the songs out according to such. So, all the heavy lifting has already been done by these hired hand song writers, the singers themselves just have to come in and record the songs.

That's why a lot of us in our 40's don't like new music today. Now, getting back to the idea of using streaming services to discover new music, I don't necessarily use streaming services for that. I have websites that are dedicated to providing me with exposure of new music in genres that aren't being touched via the radio, but letting me know this music exists. So, I might still be listening to new music from Journey or Iron Maiden, but Lord knows it wasn't because a Journey song or Iron Maiden song showed up on a top 40 station. It's also not because the streaming services have their pictures on the home page.

Quote:
But then there are people like my wife: she doesn't want to buy CD's. She just wants music. And for roughly the cost of 10-12 CD's /year she gets an unlimited music library to listen to. And she has playlists for our son.

Different strokes, different folks.
I've found music streaming to not have everything I want to listen to. Sure, they have a lot, but not everything. There is some stuff that I can only find on CD or maybe iTunes. But, I cannot find on music streaming. And since I don't spend $120/year on music, then it's hard for me to justify the subscription. I am more than thrilled at using the free version of these services and listening to about 60 seconds of ads. Even if they claim the free service is lower quality. Having tried Spotify Premium, I've found that there really isn't a huge difference in sound quality - and this is coming from a guy who is a sound quality snob.

Quote:
As to the topic, though I will never complain about ads. I get free stuff for "watching" ads. And if a service gets way too over the top with ads I will move onto something else. Period. I am not loyal to any service that much.
And, as I've stated, repeatedly before, I am not complaining about ads. As long as the ads are appropriate and before the video starts, show all the ads you feel like you need. I was just pointing out the only reason why there are now ads during a YT lengthy video is to annoy people enough to where they'll sign up for the premium subscription. It has nothing to do with Google needing to show ads during a video. Heck, they could show all of their ads prior to the video, or either have ads ran at the end of the video so that people would have to watch them before they could watch another YouTube video, and that would probably be OK with most everyone. But, having a video ad interrupt a video in mid-sentence is very annoying, and Google knows this. That's why they're doing it. So, there are those, like you, who roll with the punches and accept the ads, and those like Wolf who are quick to pony up money every time a subscription for premium content is created. Then you get those like me who simply just use DNS to block out content I don't need or want to begin with, but would be OK with such content had that content not gotten annoying.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Having tried Spotify Premium, I've found that there really isn't a huge difference in sound quality - and this is coming from a guy who is a sound quality snob.
A snob huh? I can clearly hear a difference, especially with bass heavy music (such as techno, trance). You probably won't hear a massive difference with lighter rock though I'll admit.

Quote:
and those like Wolf who are quick to pony up money every time a subscription for premium content is
I pay for two services. Youtube, and Spotify. I do not pay for Cable, Netflix, Hulu, Vimeo, Amazon Video etc. because I don't need these services. Are you still paying for a landline? Are you still paying for cable? I wonder which of us is more frugal with services.

Doesn't really matter, your assessment is simply wrong. I only pay for the services that I feel are worth paying for. In this case, since I put in at least 1-2 hours of YouTube per day, I pay for the added convenience of no ads.

Lengthy videos will have ads at the beginning and middle of the videos, it's just the way it is. Cable TV has been doing this forever. I realize they strategically and purposefully design their content AROUND commercials and YouTube does not... but oh well.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:31 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,808,944 times
Quote:
A snob huh? I can clearly hear a difference, especially with bass heavy music (such as techno, trance). You probably won't hear a massive difference with lighter rock though I'll admit.

I pay for two services. Youtube, and Spotify. I do not pay for Cable, Netflix, Hulu, Vimeo, Amazon Video etc. because I don't need these services. Are you still paying for a landline? Are you still paying for cable? I wonder which of us is more frugal with services.

Doesn't really matter, your assessment is simply wrong. I only pay for the services that I feel are worth paying for. In this case, since I put in at least 1-2 hours of YouTube per day, I pay for the added convenience of no ads.

Lengthy videos will have ads at the beginning and middle of the videos, it's just the way it is. Cable TV has been doing this forever. I realize they strategically and purposefully design their content AROUND commercials and YouTube does not... but oh well.
I pay for VERY basic cable (local channels that I couldn't get otherwise because of location). I have internet, and thus get YouTube (free) and Pandora (free). That's it.

I don't understand people that pay for umpteen services AND have every cable channel available. I have better uses for my money, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or