U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 05:14 AM

40,301 posts, read 41,850,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

But then there are people like my wife: she doesn't want to buy CD's. She just wants music. And for roughly the cost of 10-12 CD's /year she gets an unlimited music library to listen to. And she has playlists for our son.
Just a heads up but if you have Music Choice on cable you can login with your cable account. Doesn't appear they have any options for playlists but the types of channels are expanded compared to cable.

Music Choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 05:16 AM

40,301 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:

But then there are people like my wife: she doesn't want to buy CD's. She just wants music. And for roughly the cost of 10-12 CD's /year she gets an unlimited music library to listen to. And she has playlists for our son.
Just a heads up but if you have Music Choice on cable you can login with your cable account. Doesn't appear they have any options for playlists but the types of channels are expanded compared to cable.

Music Choice

Personally I prefer the CD but I don't buy much music anymore, nothing new really makes we want to go buy it. When I do it's at a local used CD shop. The only thing that might make me spend money on music again is material released on something like DVD audio, it has to be unrestricted and remastered properly.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:32 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,423,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
A snob huh? I can clearly hear a difference, especially with bass heavy music (such as techno, trance). You probably won't hear a massive difference with lighter rock though I'll admit.
"Having tried Spotify Premium, I've found that there really isn't a huge difference in sound quality..." Does not equate to absolutely no difference. And, anyone who says they can hear a massive difference in sound quality between Spotify free and premium is lying. Is there a difference? Yes? Massive, absolutely not.

Quote:
I pay for two services. Youtube, and Spotify. I do not pay for Cable, Netflix, Hulu, Vimeo, Amazon Video etc. because I don't need these services. Are you still paying for a landline? Are you still paying for cable? I wonder which of us is more frugal with services.
Mommy and Daddy must be paying for your cell phone and internet service, because otherwise, you're paying for more than just YouTube and Spotify. You're paying for a cell phone service and you are either paying for data through your cell phone company, or a separate ISP for internet, or both.

I pay for internet service, I pay for cell phone, Netflix, and the family splits the cost for Amazon Prime, which equates to us paying about $25/year for that. Hardly see where you're more frugal than I am, unless you're just plain out mooching off of someone else. No cable TV. No Satellite. Haven't had a landline since I moved out of my parents house 100 years ago. Please stop with your pissing contest.

Quote:
Doesn't really matter, your assessment is simply wrong. I only pay for the services that I feel are worth paying for. In this case, since I put in at least 1-2 hours of YouTube per day, I pay for the added convenience of no ads.
Nobody really gives a **** what you pay for, Wolf. I can care less if you spend $1000/month or $5/month on streaming services. I think it eats at you that I don't find YouTube Red worth the $10/month and able to figure out how to block the ads for free, legally.

Quote:
Lengthy videos will have ads at the beginning and middle of the videos, it's just the way it is. Cable TV has been doing this forever. I realize they strategically and purposefully design their content AROUND commercials and YouTube does not... but oh well.
And people will continue blocking the ads. Just the way it is. People use DVRs and fast forward through commercials as well.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,576,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
"Having tried Spotify Premium, I've found that there really isn't a huge difference in sound quality..." Does not equate to absolutely no difference. And, anyone who says they can hear a massive difference in sound quality between Spotify free and premium is lying. Is there a difference? Yes? Massive, absolutely not.
Oh brother lol. I didn't say that you don't hear a difference at all now did I? I'm not lying at all with regards to a huge difference between 96kbps (160 Desktop) OGG and 312kbps OGG. If you can't hear a big difference, you're either on a cheap audio setup, or you're unable to pickup on the frequencies that I can pick up on (probably due to age). As I said, the difference is especially apparent on bass heavy music.

PS: I'm a musician that plays 3 instruments, masters recordings, and I'm very familiar with audio codecs and engineering as well, audio is sort of my thing.

Quote:
Mommy and Daddy must be paying for your cell phone and internet service, because otherwise, you're paying for more than just YouTube and Spotify. You're paying for a cell phone service and you are either paying for data through your cell phone company, or a separate ISP for internet, or both.
We weren't talking about utilities now were we? I was talking about extra services beyond utilities. Yes I pay for those things as well. I also pay for my own gas, but that's completely irrelevant as well!

Quote:
I pay for internet service, I pay for cell phone, Netflix, and the family splits the cost for Amazon Prime, which equates to us paying about $25/year for that. Hardly see where you're more frugal than I am, unless you're just plain out mooching off of someone else. No cable TV. No Satellite. Haven't had a landline since I moved out of my parents house 100 years ago. Please stop with your pissing contest.
No pissing contest here. You're the one picking up on some sort of pissing contest!

Quote:
Nobody really gives a **** what you pay for, Wolf. I can care less if you spend $1000/month or $5/month on streaming services. I think it eats at you that I don't find YouTube Red worth the $10/month and able to figure out how to block the ads for free, legally.
Well if you could care less then I suppose you must care a little

I don't care what you think about YouTube Red. I'm simply giving you a solution other than blocking them. You choose to block them, that's fine with me!

Old 06-15-2016, 10:18 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Pretty good thread, for the most part. You 2 need to quit bickering.
Here we go...

Quote:
Two gripes I have with Hulu.
1) Video streaming quality is pretty... questionable
Maybe your internet sucks. I stream on my Roku TV, my Roku box, my phone and PC and have ZERO quality issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinsguy
This might derail the thread a bit, but the first thing I would say is, there's nothing wrong with growing old and staying true to who you are and what you like.
Huh?!? Liking music released in the 21st century has ZERO to do with "staying true to who you are". I don't get that comment AT ALL. You sound like an old man...
This really is a pet peeve of mine. I'm older then you dude. To summarily dismiss everything made after your 20's as crap music is not only insulting it does make you look like a codger. Sorry. There's GREAT music out there. You just stopped looking for it. Of course that's pretty normal...I'd say 60% of my friends are just like you. You don't have to be like that. Liking modern music doesn't take anything away from who you are. In fact, I'd say it makes you more well rounded and cultured. Not to mention simply more interesting.
I bet you don't go to concerts anymore either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinsguy
(Evanescence, 3 Doors Down, Muse - even though I think they got their start in the 90's),
Ever hear of Volbeat? Of course not... judging by the music that you liked then, I'll bet you like Volbeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEN3mQ0ql30

Quote:
those bands are no longer touched by top 40 radio now
And why do you think Radio is dying?? Of course this also depends on where you live. We still have one station in Cleveland playing stuff you'd probably like. If you cannot tell, I am pretty passionate about people discovering new music because there is SO MUCH good stuff out there today. You just have to slog through the crap to find it.

Quote:
And that's so because there is one or two teams of song writers out there who write just about everything you hear on top 40 radio.
While that isn't at all true, even if it may sound that way. And why do you keep mentioning top 40 radio? Top 40 has always sucked. Why are we even talking about the radio? lol

Quote:
That's why a lot of us in our 40's don't like new music today.
And I have to say it again, I cannot say it enough: it's because you stopped looking for music...not because new music sucks.

Quote:
I was just pointing out the only reason why there are now ads during a YT lengthy video is to annoy people enough to where they'll sign up for the premium subscription.
Every other streaming service does this. Every xx minutes you get an ad. It's time based. Simple as that.
It's not to annoy you...it's to get paid. I don't care how you spend your money. But you don't pay for YouTube. So you get ads. Don't like it? Pay or find something else. I just don't think complaining about a free service, no matter what they do, is a legit complaint. You don't have a right to free videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf39
A snob huh? I can clearly hear a difference, especially with bass heavy music (such as techno, trance). You probably won't hear a massive difference with lighter rock though I'll admit.
I don't hear a difference either. Of course my ears haven't been the same since I sat front row, seat 4 in front of the speakers for an AC/DC show many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58
I don't understand people that pay for umpteen services AND have every cable channel available. I have better uses for my money, too.
While I'm posting, I'll touch on this. I hate comments like this. I bet you don't get why people buy brand new cars either, right? I'm going to go ahead and guess that I make a lot more money then you. Not being a jerk, just stating a fact, because I am able to pay for all this stuff (and a brand new car) because I make a lot of money and manage to save a lot, too. I have a lot of discretionary income. Don't assume everyone makes as much as you. I DON'T have better things to do with my money. So I stimulate the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman
I'll be damned. I had no idea about that. Listening to that now. Pretty good., Thanks Coalman!
Although this will not help after I cut the cable after the Cavs win the championship on Sunday. (I know I said I already cut the cable, but I am actually waiting until the NBA playoffs are over).
This wouldn't help my wife, though, as she listens mostly in her car. (Next you'll tell me they have an app?!?!)

Whew...

~FIN~

Old 06-15-2016, 10:26 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,576,611 times
Quote:
Pretty good thread, for the most part. You 2 need to quit bickering.
Here we go...

Quote:
Maybe your internet sucks. I stream on my Roku TV, my Roku box, my phone and PC and have ZERO quality issues.
180 Mbps down 20 Mbps up. Sucks compared to the rest of the world... but compared to people in the US, I think not! My biggest problem is more about the lack of 5.1ch support!

Quote:
Huh?!? Liking music released in the 21st century has ZERO to do with "staying true to who you are". I don't get that comment AT ALL. You sound like an old man...
This really is a pet peeve of mine. I'm older then you dude. To summarily dismiss everything made after your 20's as crap music is not only insulting it does make you look like a codger. Sorry. There's GREAT music out there. You just stopped looking for it. Of course that's pretty normal...I'd say 60% of my friends are just like you. You don't have to be like that. Liking modern music doesn't take anything away from who you are. In fact, I'd say it makes you more well rounded and cultured. Not to mention simply more interesting.
Well said! I have a bias towards the music I grew up on as well, but I've also heard the songs a million times. I'm always on the lookout for new music.

PS: If you want some music discovery with a social aspect, http://plug.dj is a pretty good site. It's especially good if you like EDM!

Quote:
Ever hear of Volbeat? Of course not... judging by the music that you liked then, I'll bet you like Volbeat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEN3mQ0ql30
Love Volbeat! Nice mix of a 90's sound with modern metal.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:45 AM

Yea, I had to give up on that one Coalman. It's good and all but I can't stand not being able to skip.

Not a big EDM fan, Wolf but I will check that out...cuz, y'know, I'm always on the prowl for new music.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:01 PM

5,896 posts, read 4,423,785 times
Quote:
This is quite a childish post from you Peregrine. I would have expected better from you. Had you simply asked for clarification on what I meant when I said to be true to one's self, I would have been happy to have explained it a bit further. Instead, you took the low road and dished out insults at me. Very childish, very judgmental on your part. Also, if you had taken the time to have read the part of my previous post where I specifically talked about how I discover new music online, there would have been no need for such a stupid post as you had above.

Quote:
And why do you think Radio is dying?? Of course this also depends on where you live. We still have one station in Cleveland playing stuff you'd probably like. If you cannot tell, I am pretty passionate about people discovering new music because there is SO MUCH good stuff out there today. You just have to slog through the crap to find it.

While that isn't at all true, even if it may sound that way. And why do you keep mentioning top 40 radio? Top 40 has always sucked. Why are we even talking about the radio? lol
For someone who just stated that listening to modern music makes one cultured and interesting, you sure contradicted yourself with this statement by saying there's crap out there you have to slog your way through in order to find new music. Maybe if you were a little more cultured you'd appreciate the music you just called crap? And again, my simple point for mentioning top 40 radio is that what they play is considered modern music. So, either you're talking out of both sides of your mouth or you don't truly understand what modern music really is.

Quote:
And I have to say it again, I cannot say it enough: it's because you stopped looking for music...not because new music sucks.
And again, no I didn't. You just stopped reading:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37
That's why a lot of us in our 40's don't like new music today. Now, getting back to the idea of using streaming services to discover new music, I don't necessarily use streaming services for that. I have websites that are dedicated to providing me with exposure of new music in genres that aren't being touched via the radio, but letting me know this music exists.

Quote:
Every other streaming service does this. Every xx minutes you get an ad. It's time based. Simple as that.
It's not to annoy you...it's to get paid. I don't care how you spend your money. But you don't pay for YouTube. So you get ads. Don't like it? Pay or find something else. I just don't think complaining about a free service, no matter what they do, is a legit complaint. You don't have a right to free videos.
Why do you keep beating a dead horse? Secondly, it may not be annoying to you to see an ad in the middle of a YouTube video, but it's annoying to a lot of people. Obviously it's annoying enough to some that they pay for the premium site. YouTube could very easily had just doubled up on the ads at the beginning of the videos, instead of putting on in the middle of the video. Don't tell me it is simply to get paid, because they could easily have added those video ads at the beginning of the video - which is just fine with a lot of us, including myself. You don't have to agree with me, which is fine, but please stop beating a dead horse.

Quote:
While I'm posting, I'll touch on this. I hate comments like this. I bet you don't get why people buy brand new cars either, right? I'm going to go ahead and guess that I make a lot more money then you. Not being a jerk, just stating a fact, because I am able to pay for all this stuff (and a brand new car) because I make a lot of money and manage to save a lot, too. I have a lot of discretionary income. Don't assume everyone makes as much as you. I DON'T have better things to do with my money. So I stimulate the economy.
You really should have thought twice before putting this in your post, Peregrine. For the most part, I respect a lot of your posts, don't always agree, but I respect you. But this, I do not respect at all. As matter of fact, I find it very offensive. After today, I have lost a lot of respect for you. I'm sure you don't give a ****, and that's fine with me. But I will not forget this above quote at all. You might want to remember this down the road, because there's going to come a time when you might struggle, and you'll look back on this boastfulness and wish you had kept your mouth shut.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:58 AM

Yea, well I've lost none for you. You're taking these points the wrong way.

Quote:
This is quite a childish post from you Peregrine.
Childish? Uh..no. I've read that 3 times. I don't get what's so insulting?
More like tongue in cheek.
You are being a bit too sensitive or something. Jumping on wolf...now me. I'm OLDER then you. Did you miss that part? When someone OLDER THEN YOU calls you an OLD MAN...that's OK. Or should be among "friends". Not to even mention I didn't CALL you old... I said you SOUNDED like an old man.

Quote:
For someone who just stated that listening to modern music makes one cultured and interesting, you sure contradicted yourself with this statement by saying there's crap out there you have to slog your way through in order to find new music.
That's not a contradiction. Boy it really is amazing how people can get a totally different meaning from what you type. I never said "all music sucks". We both agree (I thought) that there is a LOT of bad music out there, especially on the radio. It takes a little effort to sort through the junk, and find the right apps to help you find new (good) music.

Quote:
Maybe if you were a little more cultured you'd appreciate the music you just called crap?
I've tried. I've given all kinds of music a try.

Quote:
Why do you keep beating a dead horse? Secondly, it may not be annoying to you to see an ad in the middle of a YouTube video, but it's annoying to a lot of people. Obviously it's annoying enough to some that they pay for the premium site. YouTube could very easily had just doubled up on the ads at the beginning of the videos, instead of putting on in the middle of the video. Don't tell me it is simply to get paid, because they could easily have added those video ads at the beginning of the video - which is just fine with a lot of us, including myself. You don't have to agree with me, which is fine, but please stop beating a dead horse.
I'm not beating a dead horse. Isn't this the topic? It is time based nowadays as I've said. OK, now I'm beating a horse. For xx amount of minutes of video, we are going to show this much ad time. SO for a 2 hour video we are going to show 15 minutes of video at the beginning? That would be horrible, too, no? No matter how Google decided to do it, it would never make everyone happy.

Quote:
You really should have thought twice before putting this in your post, Peregrine. For the most part, I respect a lot of your posts, don't always agree, but I respect you. But this, I do not respect at all. As matter of fact, I find it very offensive. After today, I have lost a lot of respect for you. I'm sure you don't give a ****, and that's fine with me. But I will not forget this above quote at all. You might want to remember this down the road, because there's going to come a time when you might struggle, and you'll look back on this boastfulness and wish you had kept your mouth shut.
Offensive? Sigh... Again you completely missed the point of my post. I am sorry it offended you. I was not bragging nor trying to offend. I shouldn't have brought it up because it was O-T and I won't discuss it any more because of that.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:06 AM

BTW, did you listen to that Volbeat track, or what?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or