Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 12:32 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, well I've lost none for you. You're taking these points the wrong way.

Childish? Uh..no. I've read that 3 times. I don't get what's so insulting?
More like tongue in cheek.
You are being a bit too sensitive or something. Jumping on wolf...now me. I'm OLDER then you. Did you miss that part? When someone OLDER THEN YOU calls you an OLD MAN...that's OK. Or should be among "friends". Not to even mention I didn't CALL you old... I said you SOUNDED like an old man.
It was all because you didn't understand and didn't read through my post thoroughly to see my point. Had you done so, I would have hoped your reaction would have been different. The whole point I was trying to circle back to is that in searching for new music in a particular genre, the mainstream apps aren't always the best choice. Again, it all goes back to my justification for not paying for streaming music services.

Quote:
That's not a contradiction. Boy it really is amazing how people can get a totally different meaning from what you type. I never said "all music sucks". We both agree (I thought) that there is a LOT of bad music out there, especially on the radio. It takes a little effort to sort through the junk, and find the right apps to help you find new (good) music.

I've tried. I've given all kinds of music a try.
So if you agreed with me, then why did you jump on me and get so spirited about how I and 60% of your friends stopped trying to find new music, when that wasn't true? At least not for me? I even stated as such in my original post. I realize what started this whole thing is the comment I made, several posts back, about how I already had a lot of what I listen to on CD and ripped to my iPod already. But that isn't to say I am no longer interested in new music, I just find fewer and fewer new music, especially music that is still pushed via radio, interesting. So, naturally, I spend less on music than I did before. That is not indicative to how much income I have as much as I don't spend money on something I don't like. I would suspect every sane person follows suit. Every so often, there is a song, or an album I do like, and I will make said purchase, but in the last several years, the total amount of annual music purchases don't justify me taking out a subscription to something like Spotify. And, there is also a lot of music I do want to purchase that isn't offered on streaming services, so I may have to bite the bullet and make those purchases via CD or iTunes if it's available there. And, like you, I DO give all types of music a try, but at the end of the day, I know what I like and I know what I don't like. I am not going to purchase something I will never listen to, hence, my reason for saying that I stay true to myself.

Quote:
I'm not beating a dead horse. Isn't this the topic? It is time based nowadays as I've said. OK, now I'm beating a horse. For xx amount of minutes of video, we are going to show this much ad time. SO for a 2 hour video we are going to show 15 minutes of video at the beginning? That would be horrible, too, no? No matter how Google decided to do it, it would never make everyone happy.
I don't really think YouTube has shown 15 minutes of video ads during two hour videos, although I haven't watched any two hour videos. Most of unskippable ads are about 15 seconds, and the rest can usually get skipped after 5 seconds. I would wager to say, at most, you'd be looking at 5 minutes of ads at the beginning. I mean, even you said it yourself, gives you time to go to the bathroom or play on your phone.

Quote:
Offensive? Sigh... Again you completely missed the point of my post. I am sorry it offended you. I was not bragging nor trying to offend. I shouldn't have brought it up because it was O-T and I won't discuss it any more because of that.
It was quite inappropriate, and your point was way off base. I contribute quite a bit to the economy. Just because I believe $10/month for YouTube Red is ridiculous does not mean I don't spend money. My wife and I, both, have new cars we're paying off, a house, school for our kid coming up this fall, and quite a lot of other things that are simply more important than paying money for YouTube. I understand that you may lead a more lucrative lifestyle, monetary wise, than me, and you have money to blow on whatever you want. I'm happy for you. I, obviously, don't make as much, but I am still quite blessed. And, honestly, any money I have extra, I would much rather spend it traveling and actually getting true culture that way.

Quote:
BTW, did you listen to that Volbeat track, or what?!?
Yes, I know who Volbeat is. I've listened to them in the past. They're not bad. I would much rather hear them on the radio than enter latest and "greatest" hip hop/pop star that is played every hour on the hour. A lot of what I look for is more of a traditional style of metal, more in the vein of classic Metallica, Megadeth, or Iron Maiden. Something with some vocal harmonies, not that stupid death growl junk. I also like a lot of melodic hard rock music, something like Journey but a bit harder. And then I'll have days where I'm completely into alternative rock and more of an alternative acoustic type of stuff. It's just whatever the mood hits me. I even love a lot of Christian contemporary music as well. I am almost never in the mood for country, gangsta rap or hip hop. Just not my cup of tea. Basically, if the artist knows how to write his/her own music, plays his/her own instruments, and the music has meaning to me, I can get into it. I think that is why I mentioned age. I feel like a lot of the music I still am attached to from my younger days has a lot of meaning to me other than nostalgia. I tend to like music/songs that speaks to me on a heart level, not so much of a "getting busy with some ho in th' club" type of music. Then again, I have days where I'm in a "screw that" mood and want to listen to something aggressive like old school metal. Point is, I'm always searching for new music as well. A lot of it is new music with familiar musical styles, but also music that has meaning to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 02:18 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
It was all because you didn't understand and didn't read through my post thoroughly to see my point.
No, I read your whole post. I just keyed in on that "why can't I stay true to myself"? Like listening to those old tunes made you...you. You can be you and find new stuff.

But you're right, you did go on to explain yourself well. I should have reread it at least.

Quote:
I don't really think YouTube has shown 15 minutes of video ads during two hour videos, although I haven't watched any two hour videos.
I was just using it as an example that they would have to really load up the front end if they got rid of the middle ones.

Quote:
It was quite inappropriate, and your point was way off base.
It was totally OT and I do apologize for it but...you DID take it the wrong way. It was not even remotely directed at you.

Quote:
I contribute quite a bit to the economy. Just because I believe $10/month for YouTube Red is ridiculous does not mean I don't spend money. My wife and I, both, have new cars we're paying off, a house, school for our kid coming up this fall, and quite a lot of other things that are simply more important than paying money for YouTube. I understand that you may lead a more lucrative lifestyle, monetary wise, than me, and you have money to blow on whatever you want. I'm happy for you. I, obviously, don't make as much, but I am still quite blessed. And, honestly, any money I have extra, I would much rather spend it traveling and actually getting true culture that way.
Yes, you totally took this the wrong way. That was totally in response to Jimdc58 who said:
"I don't understand people that pay for umpteen services AND have every cable channel available."

What's not to understand? I don't get that inability to understand that. $100 a month to one person might be more like $10 a month to another person depending on salaries.

Quote:
Yes, I know who Volbeat is. I've listened to them in the past. They're not bad. I would much rather hear them on the radio than enter latest and "greatest" hip hop/pop star that is played every hour on the hour. A lot of what I look for is more of a traditional style of metal, more in the vein of classic Metallica, Megadeth, or Iron Maiden. Something with some vocal harmonies, not that stupid death growl junk. I also like a lot of melodic hard rock music, something like Journey but a bit harder. And then I'll have days where I'm completely into alternative rock and more of an alternative acoustic type of stuff. It's just whatever the mood hits me. I even love a lot of Christian contemporary music as well. I am almost never in the mood for country, gangsta rap or hip hop. Just not my cup of tea. Basically, if the artist knows how to write his/her own music, plays his/her own instruments, and the music has meaning to me, I can get into it. I think that is why I mentioned age. I feel like a lot of the music I still am attached to from my younger days has a lot of meaning to me other than nostalgia. I tend to like music/songs that speaks to me on a heart level, not so much of a "getting busy with some ho in th' club" type of music. Then again, I have days where I'm in a "screw that" mood and want to listen to something aggressive like old school metal. Point is, I'm always searching for new music as well. A lot of it is new music with familiar musical styles, but also music that has meaning to me.
Excellent. I agree with much of that except I like some (old school) country.
and like 3 or 4 rap songs. lol

Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Maybe your internet sucks. I stream on my Roku TV, my Roku box, my phone and PC and have ZERO quality issues.
Most of the video I stream is coming over a 1Mbps connection, don't laugh. The quality is surprisingly good all the things considered. About DVD quality as long as there is no flickering lights, lots of explosions etc. I've seen issues with that on cable however that is 1080P.

Cable itself is not all that great because it is compressed a lot a too. Watch a football game broadcast over cable and OTA, the difference is substantial. Don't know how well cable would do head to head against streaming service providing 6Mbps+ but I wouldn't be surprised if it were similar.

Quote:
This wouldn't help my wife, though, as she listens mostly in her car. (Next you'll tell me they have an app?!?!)
Comcast has an app.... LOL, I don't know if it works with the Music Choice channels. They do not advertise the MC features on their site.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cloudtvr&hl=en

You can also simply login to their site with any computer.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:33 AM

I have Time Warner. They have a pretty good app.
But "Music Choice not available outside your WiFi network."

Old 06-17-2016, 10:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
I have Time Warner. They have a pretty good app.
But "Music Choice not available outside your WiFi network."
huh, works for me anywhere.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, you totally took this the wrong way. That was totally in response to Jimdc58 who said:
"I don't understand people that pay for umpteen services AND have every cable channel available."

What's not to understand? I don't get that inability to understand that. $100 a month to one person might be more like $10 a month to another person depending on salaries.
Honestly, the whole point wasn't about me not being able to afford it. I can afford it. It's simply me judging YouTube's original/exclusive content and seeing if that is enough to command a $10/month cost as compared to other video streaming services, and it's not there yet. Google knows this as well, which is why they're a little more aggressive with the ads. They're pushing the ad removal a little more, but in my opinion, ad removal, alone, is not worth $10/month - especially when you can remove the ads yourself, for free, legally.

It's also not a question of whether if one thinks he/she deserves ad free videos for free or not, it's simply the pricing structure doesn't equal what YouTube provides. In my opinion, there not ready to charge $10/month for their service. I could see, at most, $2.99/month for ad-free and "premium content". I consider this, there is a Roku channel that my wife loves, that provides Hallmark and Hallmark "like" movies for $1.99 a month. That was a no-brainer to subscribe to that channel, because my wife watches that channel every day. That is the one thing she missed when we cut the cord on satellite. That channel could easily be worth $4.99/month, and we'd still find a way to pay for it (although the channel isn't really my cup of tea,) but at $1.99, it's an awesome deal! Anyway, that's the way I see it. It is not a question of people's finances or what $10 means to one or another person, it's simply does the content demand such a monthly cost, and IMHO, it doesn't. At least not right now. Some early adopters will pay anything for it, which is fine. Some think $10/month of YT Red is reasonable. I have not qualms if one thinks that way, I just happen to disagree.

Quote:
Excellent. I agree with much of that except I like some (old school) country.
and like 3 or 4 rap songs. lol
Well, I will admit that I do like some country, like Garth Brooks or Restless Heart. Only "modern" country artist I do care to listen to is Carrie Underwood, but other than her, not a huge country fan. I'm about the same as you with rap. Outside of Run DMC and the Beasties, I don't listen to any hip hop or rap. Mostly a rock guy.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:36 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times
Quote:

While I'm posting, I'll touch on this. I hate comments like this. I bet you don't get why people buy brand new cars either, right? I'm going to go ahead and guess that I make a lot more money then you. Not being a jerk, just stating a fact, because I am able to pay for all this stuff (and a brand new car) because I make a lot of money and manage to save a lot, too. I have a lot of discretionary income. Don't assume everyone makes as much as you. I DON'T have better things to do with my money. So I stimulate the economy.
Uh....yes, you ARE being a jerk....and by reading the posts, I see I'm not the only one who took this comment that way. Of course, you already know that, or you wouldn't have prefaced your comment saying you're not.

I retired at 54....because I made my wad and didn't feel the need to compete with everyone else by spending my money needlessly, as you obviously do. I buy new cars, and live quite comfortably. I just am not a sucker to all of the companies that milk you on a monthly basis for every cable option, every phone option, etc. Corporate accountants LOVE suckers like you.

But please, by all means, feel free to stimulate the economy. I appreciate people like you keeping my stock values rising! Ha!!!!

Old 06-28-2016, 07:44 AM

Just needed to post this bit about YouTube Red. I noticed that when I clicked on the free trial pop-up on my iPad, it took me to a page where it told me the price for YT Red is $12.99/month. I was thinking it was $9.99/month. I googled this to find out that for iOS users, the price is more since Apple takes a bite (pun intended) of the share of the revenue when it's purchased through the iOS store. I don't know if taking out the subscription via the desktop would be a way to get around the increased cost or not, or if you simply want YouTube Red on the iPad or iPhone, you'll need to purchase it separately - would be interesting to have some clarity on that.

I also see where YouTube Kids does not work with YouTube Red, so ads will continue to be shown on that.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:05 AM

$3.00 more? Wow.
I'm sure you're right, that it would work at the cheaper price if you did it outside the App Store.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:05 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Just needed to post this bit about YouTube Red. I noticed that when I clicked on the free trial pop-up on my iPad, it took me to a page where it told me the price for YT Red is $12.99/month. I was thinking it was $9.99/month. I googled this to find out that for iOS users, the price is more since Apple takes a bite (pun intended) of the share of the revenue when it's purchased through the iOS store. I don't know if taking out the subscription via the desktop would be a way to get around the increased cost or not, or if you simply want YouTube Red on the iPad or iPhone, you'll need to purchase it separately - would be interesting to have some clarity on that.

I also see where YouTube Kids does not work with YouTube Red, so ads will continue to be shown on that.
Purchase it at a regular computer. This is a common issue among every subscription purchased through an iOS device.

I have an iPad and only pay the $9.99 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet