Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 08:37 AM

200 posts, read 182,805 times

Advertisements

Looking to add internet to our tv service. Looking to watch on demand movies, use our computers and phones. Used to have Comcast now looking into Viasat. Already stymied, what is the difference btwn Comcast's 150 mgb vs Viasat 12 gb with a 25 boost?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:05 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Well first of all, make sure you understand the difference between data caps and download/upload speeds. They are not one in the same. The 12GB that Viasat is referring to is the data cap limit you can use per month. The 150 mbps of Comcast is the speed at which you can download files. Again, not one in the same.

With Viasat, you get download speeds up to 12mbps, with Comcast, 150 mbps. That's a huge difference. Plus, a very strict 12 gb data cap with Viasat - which means you have to really pay attention to your video streaming. With Comcast, there really isn't such a data limit. There is, but accounts for a lot of heavy video streaming, so you almost never go over that limit unless your streaming HD video 24/7.

Now, with Viasat, if you go over that 12GB allowance, they aren't going to charge you more, they'll just throttle your speed. Comcast might do the same, but they won't necessarily come out and say they will, and again, they don't have as strict of a data cap.

You're better off with Comcast in my opinion. Plus, I'm not sure if satellite internet has fixed the latency issue that they have always been known to have.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Agree completely with skinsguy37 .... these two services are not even remotely the same.

Viasat (or any satellite service) would be an absolute last resort when nothing else was available to me. You'll use up that 12 GB very quickly with streaming, and the latency will prevent using lots of different services, like video messaging, VOIP, games, etc.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:02 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Agree completely with skinsguy37 .... these two services are not even remotely the same.

Viasat (or any satellite service) would be an absolute last resort when nothing else was available to me. You'll use up that 12 GB very quickly with streaming, and the latency will prevent using lots of different services, like video messaging, VOIP, games, etc.
No. Viasat is the mother company for Exede. I use the Exede VOIP almost exclusively - NO landline, absolute minimal cellphone coverage here. There is a tiny amount of latency that takes getting used to, and there can be connection issues during heavy storms and when they are messing with the satellite (possibly heavy military traffic or system fixes, dunno, don't care). I've used Google hangouts and other video chats with no problems. Games are different. There are some games that work and some that don't (there is a guy on YouTube that shows the results).

The data cap is an issue, especially now that websites are data intensive. I've got a classic plan and do my heavy data stuff in the free zone between midnight and five am. There is an "upgrade" that eliminates that and does a throttle to 5mb/s, but I prefer what I have for now.

Current rating:

I've heard horror stories about customer service at comcast, but I have found Exede customer service to be fine. (It is about my only option, so I'm glad.)

Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
Comcast's 150 mgb vs Viasat 12 gb with a 25 boost?.
Just so it's clear

Mbps = is used for data transfer speed.
GB = is going to be used for bandwidth caps.

For example a video that is 2Mbps might be equivalent to a very high quality DVD, if it's an hour long it's going to be about a 1.5 GB file size.

The boost is referencing a very fast initial speed, if you are surfing the web for example where there is lot of small files it will be like a 25Mbps connection. If it's large file that may only last for a few seconds and will slow to 12Mbps.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:34 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
No. Viasat is the mother company for Exede. I use the Exede VOIP almost exclusively - NO landline, absolute minimal cellphone coverage here. There is a tiny amount of latency that takes getting used to, and there can be connection issues during heavy storms and when they are messing with the satellite (possibly heavy military traffic or system fixes, dunno, don't care). I've used Google hangouts and other video chats with no problems. Games are different. There are some games that work and some that don't (there is a guy on YouTube that shows the results).

The data cap is an issue, especially now that websites are data intensive. I've got a classic plan and do my heavy data stuff in the free zone between midnight and five am. There is an "upgrade" that eliminates that and does a throttle to 5mb/s, but I prefer what I have for now.

Current rating:

I've heard horror stories about customer service at comcast, but I have found Exede customer service to be fine. (It is about my only option, so I'm glad.)
Comcast's customer service can be pretty atrocious, as well as TWC. The service itself is pretty solid though. When I lived in VA, I never really had a problem with it at all. Of course, I carried over my plan from Adelphia Cable, so I never changed anything. With TWC, I've had to replace modems a few times. That seems to be their biggest thing - crappy, cheap, equipment.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
I'd have to concur with skinsguys, dealing with people on the phone is PITA with Comcast. Their billing procedures are less than spectacular but I think that is the norm across the industry and done on purpose.

The service itself with Comcast is stellar in my area, it might go out once a year I'm aware of but it's almost always back on. Speeds are consistently higher than advertised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet