U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 02:41 PM

9,233 posts, read 19,288,746 times

Advertisements

I figured there would already be threads on this, but I did a search, and zero...

I HATE when people share articles on social media that look interesting at first glance, but then to read the whole article, you must click "next" multiple times. Too many sites break up their articles into multiple pages, just to get more "clicks" so, I guess, they can show that to advertisers, who will pay more. So they might say "hey, this article we posted got 20,000 clicks" but what they don't say is that readers had to click 20 times to see the whole article, so it may have only been 1,000 people.

It's so annoying, and everyone I talk to seems to find it annoying. And it seems tons of people online also hate it (just google something like "excessive pagination" or "hate pagination" and you'll see.

I'm not talking about a very long article of several thousand words, that might be broken up into 2-3 pages. But those articles that force you to view a "slideshow" to read the article in tiny little bits by clicking again and again and again.

Many of these "articles" are really lists: "the top 15 foods that will kill you" or "18 things introverts need in relationships" or "the 20 cutest puppy photos you'll ever see" or "the 12 sure signs that your spouse is cheating on you." Most of us, even if the title interests us, never get past the 3rd click, because it's just too much of a pain in the a$$. But some of these articles are not even lists that someone MIGHT be able to claim belong in a slideshow (I still would disagree with them). Today a Facebook friend shared an article about a terrible obituary someone published in a newspaper about a 95 year old woman who died. I am not exaggerating: You got a sentence, then you had to click "next." Then one more sentence, then you had to click. Then one more sentence, then you had to click. I gave up and posted a nasty comment to my "friend." Sure, I kind of wanted to read the awful obituary someone write about their grandmother and see why is was so awful. But I didn't care enough to do all that clicking.

I'm reading (on un-paginated online articles about excessive pagination) that web designers do this sop a site gets more clicks, like I said above, and because each new page you open can have a bunch more ads on it, and therefore generate more income. But they CLAIM that the reason they do it is because people don't want to scroll so much, and because people get intimidated by a long article.

Really? Scrolling is quite easy, both on my computer and on my phone. I am not a techy, but I also feel like every time I open a new page, it's sucking energy or data usage or something, that is not used up if you just stay on one page and scroll. But clicking on "next" really just causes delays in reading something. You click "next," then you have to wait for the page to open. If it has ads, it takes longer to open. If I'm at work, the ads that make a page take long to open cause my computer to freeze and an alert to come up about a "long-running script" (whatever that is). But if I'm on one page, and I scroll down, even if it's War and Peace, I'm gonna get through it much quicker that with all that clicking.

And I really have no problem with looking at a long article and feeling like I can't finish it. If it's all on one page, I'm much more likely to read the whole thing than if it's broken down into 23 pages. And for something like "the 25 foods that are sure to give you cancer immediately," most of that big intimidating article will be pictures of foods.

I don't care how important the topic of the article is, I'm not clicking through 20 pages. For example, I am deeply committed to the US Constitution and concerned about how it's being progressively eroded, but I'm not clicking to the 20th page of "the 20 biggest ways the executive branch has violated your constitutional rights. I care a lot about community safety, but I'm not clicking to the 20th page of "the 20 most dangerous child sex predators on your zip code."

Do you hate this too? Please share your pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 05:57 PM

18,511 posts, read 55,427,357 times
Here ya go:

Slideshow-Deslidefier

I use it on my tablet all the time. MSN is bad with slideshows.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:28 AM

34,277 posts, read 59,597,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

Do you hate this too? Please share your pain.
Actually, I "hate" child abusers and men who hit women.

All you are seeing is ad campaigns posted by people who do not value their content.
I skip over those sites as much as possible.
If it is good content, valued by the presenter, you won't see sliders.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:50 AM

13,312 posts, read 20,359,563 times
We have had threads on this before. I agree with everything said in the OP. Articles use to have a "see whole article on one page" link, though I don't remember seeing such a link in a while. Someone posted an idea that used to work once. No idea if it still does. The idea was to click the ring button or link, which sometimes gives you the whole article on one page. I haven't tried it in a while, but will the next time it happens (probably later today).

Old 06-23-2016, 08:39 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Yes, there was a thread about this.
But I agree and I simply speak with my clicks. Anytime I see that type of site, I close it and 'click' away.
It doesn't annoy me in the tiniest bit. I just don't patronize those sites. No article is that can't-live-without important.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:15 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,670,740 times
I usually don't make it past the first couple of clicks either. In addition to the slideshows, the other one that gets me is when you go to a web site to download something. There are usually like 5 other products with "Download here," and the one you want is not very obvious. But, yes, the slideshow types are definitely a 'pita.'

Old 06-23-2016, 09:36 AM

Well, if there is a thread on this, they didn't use "pagination" in the title, because I search thoroughly.

I sometimes see the option to view an article as one page, but that's on my actual computer. I never see that on my phone, on which I read a lot of news articles as well as just articles of interest.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:04 PM

18,511 posts, read 55,427,357 times
MSN had one this morning on the shelf life of foods. The information was so wrong and crazy that even though I had gone to the effort of de-sliding it, I backed out after the first couple of blurbs. I agree that the titles of many of these are better than the content.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:00 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
I wasn't chastising you. This is fine.

Pagination isn't really the right word to use. What you are talking about is probably a close opposite to pagination.
I used "Slide" and found it.

Disabling slideshows on webpages

Old 06-23-2016, 02:02 PM

It's not the opposite, or close to it. It looks like slideshows are just one form of pagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or