Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,616 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.....just as of late.

I am used to ads at the beginning when watching YouTube videos on my SmartTV.....no big deal.

But just recently, I'll be watching a long video (10 minutes or more) and their will be a VERY abrupt blackening of the screen, then suddenly an ad starts running. If you're really into what you're watching, it's very jarring. It wouldn't be so bad if it was at a natural break....but it can come mid-sentence of someone speaking.

Is this something new from YouTube that we are going to have to put up with? Or is it just the way some people have downloaded the particular videos I've been watching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:06 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
And site owners wonder why millions of people have an ad block program on their computer.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:42 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
This has been going on for a while. I've had experience with youtube ads appearing as often as every three minutes. The other day I was watching Fox News' ''Live Streaming 3.'' The ads were constant with no breaks. It was obvious that Fox was the target. This didn't happen again so Fox apparently had a chat with Google. I'm sure that they pay Google for this service.

As an aside, I must mention that Google charges for first page search positions. For example, psychic services may pay up to sixty dollars per click. I am not exaggerating.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:22 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Might be worthy to convert the videos to different formats and watch them OFF OF YOUTUBE.....

Old 06-01-2016, 04:25 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
And site owners wonder why millions of people have an ad block program on their computer.
Too bad there isn't one for TV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This has been going on for a while. I've had experience with youtube ads appearing as often as every three minutes. The other day I was watching Fox News' ''Live Streaming 3.'' The ads were constant with no breaks. It was obvious that Fox was the target. This didn't happen again so Fox apparently had a chat with Google. I'm sure that they pay Google for this service.
I didn't know any of the cable networks streamed live on YouTube. I'll have to check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Might be worthy to convert the videos to different formats and watch them OFF OF YOUTUBE.....
On a computer, maybe. But not possible on a TV.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:28 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Yes, I've noticed this as well. Seems to be on those videos that are at least 15 minutes or longer. The shorter videos, like music videos, usually just has them played at the beginning. Wished there was some sort of ad blocker for smart TV's, set top boxes, and gaming consoles.

If you have a computer that can be hooked up via an HDMI to your TV, you could get around the ADs by playing You Tube through your computer. You might also be able to play some of those You Tube links through the VLC player, which might yank the ads as well.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:35 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
You want to watch free videos, watch some ads. I really don't understand why people do NOT get this.
If we all started blocking ads, guess what? YouTube will no longer be free. Vimeo, not free.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:45 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You want to watch free videos, watch some ads. I really don't understand why people do NOT get this.
If we all started blocking ads, guess what? YouTube will no longer be free. Vimeo, not free.
OK. We'll let you keep watching all the ads you want so that YouTube will stay free for the rest of us!

Old 06-01-2016, 10:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
OK. We'll let you keep watching all the ads you want so that YouTube will stay free for the rest of us!
As the ad revenue declines because of adblock more sites are going to force them on you. It's not a matter if they can, it's a matter of do they want too.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
If you're very active on YouTube... get YouTube Red. It's so worth it... for the cost of one meal at a cheap restaurant, no ads... ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet