Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:02 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,667,883 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

this is a bit of a newbie question regarding cellular networks & Wi-Fi networks. I am looking at mobile hotspots that I can take on the road with me. In reading reviews, one particular hotspot that gets good reviews is the Verizon Jetpack AC791L, which is advertised as a 4G LTE (the latest cellular/mobile network standard) hotspot that is the 1st hotspot to be compatible with 802.11ac (the latest Wi-Fi technology standard).

The question that I have here is whether or not there is really any point in a mobile hotspot being 802.11ac compatible? My thought is that, being a mobile hotspot, it will automatically be connected to a mobile network (Verizon's cellular network), with 4G LTE being the latest and greatest network standard there. So, where does the 802.11ac part even come in? Maybe my understanding of the Cellular & Wi-Fi standards are pretty limited but 802.11ac is a Wi-Fi technology, not a cellular technology.

So, I would think the only time 802.11ac would even come into play when I am on the road would be if I were at a store or coffee shop that had a Wi-Fi network that had 802.11ac. Technically, then I could connect my hotspot to their 802.11ac Wi-Fi network. Of course, my thought on that is if I were in a coffee shop that had 802.11ac Wi-Fi available, then I would just connect my laptop or tablet directly to their 802.11ac Wi-Fi network, rather than connecting my Verizon hotspot to their 802.11ac Wi-Fi network and then connecting my laptop or tablet to my hotspot. So, I am kind of wondering if 802.11ac compatibility is sort of useless in a mobile hotspot or am I missing something?

I would love the idea of being able to access 802.11ac on the road, as I have been told that it is faster than a 4G LTE network but I sort of think it is an apples-to-oranges comparison, in that the mobile hotspot will use the best available cellular connection (4G LTE in the vast majority of the U.S.) unless the user specifically puts it into Wi-Fi mode and connects to a modem/router that has an 802.11ac connection or a 802.11n connection.

This is my understanding of the two network technologies:

Cellular/mobile network timeline:

AMPS (1G)
GSM (2G)
GPRS (2G)
EDGE (2G)
UMTS (3G)
WiMAX (4G)
LTE (4G)

Wi-Fi/WLAN timeline:

802.11-1997
802.11a
802.11b
802.11g
802.11n
802.11ac

Here is a review of the Verizon Jetpack AC791L:
The Best Wi-Fi Hotspot | The Wirecutter

Am I missing something due to limited understanding of the two technologies or am I correct in thinking 802.11ac compatibility for this hotspot will be kind of useless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 06:41 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,631,289 times
The WiFi part of that isn't to connect up to a network, but for your equipment to connect to the AC791L.

The AC791L (like most jetpacks) has the ability to connect multiple phones, laptops, tablets, etc (15 IIRC on the 791) via WiFi, or one device via the USB port.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:24 AM

16,451 posts, read 19,469,725 times
What he said. To expound a bit, it basically means any wireless networking equipment (laptop, tablet, phone) will be able to use your hotspot to get on the internet because AC is the latest standard and it supports all the older standards.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,520,468 times
as far as speed: lets say your wifi hotpot is connected to lte (50 mbps ?) and all of your devices are using 802.11ac (100 mbps ?) that means your internet speed will be maxed at 50 mbps.

its like a ferrari stuck behind a dump truck.

seems like it would be just easier to use the wifi hotspot functionality on your cellular-fone ?

Old 07-28-2016, 04:08 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,392,734 times
^^ Many cellular companies frown on tethering from your cell phone. If they find out about it they can and very often do kick you off of their service. You usually have to purchase a dedicated hotspot for that purpose. This is so they can cap your data and charge you accordingly. There may be exceptions to this. If you can live with the limits and use it for something like checking email and other low bandwidth tasks then it should be fine. This is unless you don't mind spending a fortune. I just saw an ad for a Straight Talk hotspot. They use AT&T towers and have good coverage. This is a refurb but I'm sure you can get it new.

Refurb Straight Talk Mobile Hotspot, 1GB Data for $20 + pickup at Walmart - STUXU240CR.MB15

Cricket is another company which has good pricing and it appears they do allow tethering from your phone for an extra $10 a month.
https://www.cricketwireless.com/hotspot

Last edited by gguerra; 07-28-2016 at 04:27 PM..

Old 07-29-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^ Many cellular companies frown on tethering from your cell phone. If they find out about it they can and very often do kick you off of their service.
Not one cellular company frowns on doing this legally. They sell it as a feature. It simply uses your data plan. Separate Hot Spots are going the way of the fax machine....

Old 07-29-2016, 09:58 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,392,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not one cellular company frowns on doing this legally. They sell it as a feature. It simply uses your data plan. Separate Hot Spots are going the way of the fax machine....
Duh. I know you can pay extra. I meant doing it without signing up for anything. As far as hot spots going the way of the fax machine, that may be true but they are still available and for not much money. You could tether from your phone for emergencies and for short periods without notifying your provider. You also don't want to drain the battery on your phone while using it as a hot spot.

Also, unless you have a large data plan, you will eat up your monthly allotment pretty quick for anything other than basic tasks. Forget streaming for long periods of time.

Anything is possible if you don't mind paying more money.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Duh. I know you can pay extra.
Duh? Really?

Quote:
I meant doing it without signing up for anything. As far as hot spots going the way of the fax machine, that may be true but they are still available and for not much money.
If you buy a VZW Hotspot that costs you more money every month. It's just like having a phone. You'd be much better off using your phone.

Quote:

Also, unless you have a large data plan, you will eat up your monthly allotment pretty quick for anything other than basic tasks. Forget streaming for long periods of time.
I would never use any type of HotSpot for streaming. Even with a good 4G connection, it's not great for streaming.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:23 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,631,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I would never use any type of HotSpot for streaming. Even with a good 4G connection, it's not great for streaming.

I disagree here. We use an AC791L as the primary connection in our RV, and we can stream from all the major services without any issues.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:04 AM

Yea, you're right about that. I have watched some stuff over 4G on my phone that was pretty damn watchable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet