U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2016, 10:57 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,702,654 times

Advertisements

This site claims to have a map of locations. No reason to doubt it. What I find interesting is where they are. Some places, like Boston metro, have 6. Others like Chicago have 45. Baltimore has 16, DC 5. Atlanta,58, twice as many as LA at 29.

Very curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 11:52 PM

1,758 posts, read 661,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
This site claims to have a map of locations. No reason to doubt it. What I find interesting is where they are. Some places, like Boston metro, have 6. Others like Chicago have 45. Baltimore has 16, DC 5. Atlanta,58, twice as many as LA at 29.

Very curious...
I'd like to read about it. Which site, please?

Old 01-01-2017, 12:27 AM

4,378 posts, read 4,061,306 times
What are yall doin on the deep web...?

Old 01-01-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
What are yall doin on the deep web...?
Is it only deep web that accepts Bitcoin? I don't know much about it, so yeah, I'd like to read about it.

My interest began with that guy a couple of years ago (I think it was in Europe) who tossed his computer with $1M in Bitcoin on his hard drive & then began a frantic search of local dumps to find it. I'll have to search for it to see if he ever came across it... it almost sounds like a hoax... maybe it was. But, I do recall it triggered an influx of people into the dump to see if they could find it first.

ETA: Well, apparently, it's true...

https://coinatmradar.com/country/226...united-states/

And, apparently, it's not so dark web...

http://www.coindesk.com/information/...with-bitcoins/

Old 01-01-2017, 07:11 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,702,654 times
Sorry I forgoit to post the link. The ones above are the one I used. I came across the topic in an article about cryptoware, in case you're wondering. One interesting detail is high commission rates at the atms, 7-15%.

There was a push a few years ago where legit business began accepting bitcoin, but that effort seems to have lost steam.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Is it only deep web that accepts Bitcoin? I don't know much about it, so yeah, I'd like to read about it.

My interest began with that guy a couple of years ago (I think it was in Europe) who tossed his computer with $1M in Bitcoin on his hard drive & then began a frantic search of local dumps to find it. I'll have to search for it to see if he ever came across it... it almost sounds like a hoax... maybe it was. But, I do recall it triggered an influx of people into the dump to see if they could find it first.

What can you buy with bitcoins?
It was a joke because it seems to be the main currency there, and bitcoins seemed to have fallen out of favor in the real world and the surfsce web.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I came across the topic in an article about cryptoware, in case you're wondering.
No worries. I read about things I'm not necessarily into, but something about the article or book peaks my interest. Awhile ago, I read a book about Joe DiMaggio. The author claimed him to be the first free agent. Even though I don't particularly like baseball, it was a very interesting read on the life of a great athlete.

I've read 2 books about Lance Armstrong, too, before he got caught. Still not going to enter bike races, but I loved learning about them.

I can't wrap my head around how you're not losing value by investing in Bitcoin, like in having old war bonds... but, I'm trying to learn. Good subject.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:55 PM

394 posts, read 610,136 times
Default Bitcoin ATM found in Seat Pleasant, Maryland!

I found this machine in Seat Pleasant, Maryland

6400 Central Ave, Seat Pleasant, MD 20743

https://goo.gl/maps/xUD7WgDhVzR2
Attached Thumbnails
Bitcoin ATM locations-bitcoincentralexxon.jpg  

Old 01-09-2017, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post

What can you buy with bitcoins?
The world gov'ts can't mandate or tax Bitcoins, and transfers are anonymous, so it scared them into using scare tactics to get people to stoo using them, despite all transactions being strictly anonymous- which means they can't do jackspit anyway. I'm not sure who still uses them, but to get them you hafta launder them with a program, and you get a key of sorts. One bitcoin is equal to $720 US dollars...I'd be in that dump too. It is the only currency used on the Darknet, so that's why I made that joke. I'd like to get a Bitcoin account, myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet