Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:48 PM

8,728 posts, read 4,515,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
About 15 years ago I think it was Norton with one of the first adblockers was blocking images on one of my sites . Why? They were in a folder called banners and they had nothing to do with advertising. Moving them out of the folder called banners unblocked them. The same thing applies today. Adblocker depends on consistency, they can easily block Google ads because they know the source. Direct ads on my site are not affected because it has no idea it's an ad and if they happen to figure it out I'll simply adjust.
Odd, that isn't how mine works. If I see a particularly annoying add, I simply tell the addblocker where on the page it is (basically, the same way you crop a picture), and never see it again. The only way you can defeat it would be to recode the add every time I click on your page. And then I just quit coming around. (PS, I see google ads all the time.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 06:11 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The only way you can defeat it would be to recode the add every time I click on your page.
This is where programming comes in....

Old 11-20-2017, 07:02 AM

16,503 posts, read 19,575,896 times
Good discussion. My take: Yes. Adbllockers need to go away. Period.
Frankly I am tired of the people whining about ads. Here's the thing: speak with your patronage. If there is a site with obtrusive ads, do you know what I do? STOP GOING THERE. Period. If you put ****ty ads on your website, I am NOT going to patronize you. Period. THAT'S how you punish a website. By NOT going there. PERIOD. Speak with your clicks.
And these children that just can NOT watch a Youtube video without an ad. OMG. Really? What do you think PAYS those content creators and keeps the lights on?
I actually saw someone complain about an ad in the middle of a 2 hour YouTube video. "It breaks the immersion"... omg. You're watching YouTube... on a laptop. How immersed can you be?

/Devils Advocate, mostly

Old 11-20-2017, 08:13 AM

15,409 posts, read 25,725,485 times
If sites put up reasonable ads, adblockers would not be needed. Since it sounds like that will never happen, users have to do something. It is that simple. Sites can program and design to get around blockers, and blockers can program and design to stop them. It's never going to end until sites rein in the obnoxious ads and allow only reasonable ones. If they did, I would gladly get rid of my adblocker.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:35 AM

8,728 posts, read 4,515,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If sites put up reasonable ads, adblockers would not be needed. Since it sounds like that will never happen, users have to do something. It is that simple. Sites can program and design to get around blockers, and blockers can program and design to stop them. It's never going to end until sites rein in the obnoxious ads and allow only reasonable ones. If they did, I would gladly get rid of my adblocker.
Same here.

It is about the equivalent of people burglarizing homes is why we have serious front door locks. And as long as they keep burglarizing homes, I will keep my front door locked. If they would quit burglarizing homes, I would quit bothering to lock my door.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:13 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,095,983 times
Some ads contain malware, though. Ad blockers are needed!

Old 11-20-2017, 03:07 PM

15,321 posts, read 8,926,726 times
Quote:
Exactly, I think people forget about the history of the internet. In the beginning there were no ads on the internet. Just millions of HTML webpages with absolutely no ads. The internet with no ads was perfect. Even the slowest computer could get information fast. Then AT&T decided to put their banner ad on each webpage. Other advertisers jumped in and did the same. It was mildly irritating for internet users, but not that big a deal. Then the advertisers all banded together and came up with a plan to put all their ads on each page. Each page with hundreds of Flash ads and just a little bit of content. Internet users were like WTF? Then they started Googling for "how to block ads", and they found an easy solution, and the internet was good again.

People need to stop crying for the billionaires who are getting their obnoxious ads blocked. The internet did just fine without ads in the beginning, and it can do just fine without ads again. Unfortunately I don't think the advertisers are going to give up that easy.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:34 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,769,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A. No one gets to tell me ho to run my site whether I agree or not.

B.No advertiser/site should be held ransom by some third party and they would be foolish to pay them this fee.

C. Most users will turn them off anyway so it's pointless exercise.

That's stupid, you can't pigeonhole a site layout and the suggestion they be on the top is about as lame as it gets. If you go to one of my sites the ads will appear below the fold or just above it depending on the content.
That's stupid, you can't force people to look at your site without regard to user preferences.

Also - as I said before - you'll get my adblocker when you peel it from my cold dead hands.

I strongly doubt there is ANYTHING on your site that I care about anyway. There are an awful lot of greedmeisters out there with moronic little websites that have absolutely nothing useful on them, or are full of lies and nonsense. These are invariable the ones who think the rest of us owe them a living.

We don't. Go ahead and try to block my adblocker - I'll just blacklist your site anyway.

I do feel sorry for newspapers. I would LOVE to subscribe to some of them - but I WANT PAPER COPIES and they only want to let me look at online content.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
If sites put up reasonable ads, adblockers would not be needed.
There is plenty of sites out there with a reasonable amount of ads, the problem is the adblocker blocking ads on those sites as well.

Quote:
It's never going to end until sites rein in the obnoxious ads and allow only reasonable ones.
Nearly all of the sites I see with an obnoxious amounts of ads are crap to begin with, e.g. click bait "See what these celebrities look like now".

Old 11-20-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Same here.

It is about the equivalent of people burglarizing homes is why we have serious front door locks.
You are the one coming in my front door as a guest and expect to be able to rearrange the furniture to your tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet