Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 09:34 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I thought I was being fairly frugal, but when I added everything up just now, I see that I'm spending $88 a month. This does include keeping a basic landline connection without a long distance calling plan; I use my mobile phone for that.
It is extremely difficult to stay under $100 a month. And I believe that this is by design. Even if you are getting a great deal on cellular chances are you have tight restrictions on running a hotspot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 11:35 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Default AT&T offer

https://www.directvnow.com/unlimited...0UNL7QE#slide1

AT&T has now included HBO for $70/month.

I think they are trying to become a game changer.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
https://www.directvnow.com/unlimited...0UNL7QE#slide1

AT&T has now included HBO for $70/month.

I think they are trying to become a game changer.
That's a good point. I still think that AT&T's unlimited plan might appeal to those that do not mind post paid and don't have internet. That is where you are going to see the growth at.

You're still looking at $70 a month, for what is basically a 22 GB plan, vs home internet which, for most people is without limits because they will never approach 1 TB, unless they're gaming or running a server, file transfers, etc. Just a better situation in terms of bandwidth.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:05 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
And all three of those plans have deprioritization at 22 GB, so while they are unlimited, you will eventually be slowed (even if it is temporary).

The thing with deprioritization, is that you may never see it. It's only if you are on a congested tower. I know of quite a few people that put over a hundred GB per month through these plans without ever seeing a slow down (more on the AT&T plans than with Verizon though).

Old 06-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The thing with deprioritization, is that you may never see it. It's only if you are on a congested tower. I know of quite a few people that put over a hundred GB per month through these plans without ever seeing a slow down (more on the AT&T plans than with Verizon though).
I don't doubt what the OP is saying I just can't advocate wireless like that because of reduced bandwidth.

Maybe in rural situations where it is cost prohibitive to lay down the infrastructure. But in urban areas, not so much.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:01 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
You're still looking at $70 a month, for what is basically a 22 GB plan, vs home internet which, for most people is without limits because they will never approach 1 TB, unless they're gaming or running a server, file transfers, etc. Just a better situation in terms of bandwidth.
If you really have no money you could get a $20 unlimited talk and text cellular plan from Walmart, watch antenna television, and have no internet at all except when you go to the library.

I realize that the 22 GB deprioritization limit and the slower speeds of cellular versus coaxial are not ideal, but all I am saying is that AT&T has set a new bar of $70/month for services that a normal single well educated person needs to be an informed functional person.

Now AT&T is including HBO Now in addition to Direct TV Now for the same $70 (still $95 for first three months).

We are only a few years away from fifth generation cellular. This kind of deal may become the norm for most young people.

The domestic movie boxoffice seems to have topped out in 2002 at 1,575.7 million tickets with Spider-Man as the most popular film. Movies sold only 1,268.2 million tickets in 2014 as the R-rated American Sniper was the first time the box office was led by a film aimed at adults. Teenagers have kept the movie industry going for decades since big screen High Definition televisions have seduced most adults from going to the theater except in rare instances.

Teens need to get out of the house. But now they can easily stream movies in a parked car. We might see the domestic box office drop below a billion tickets for the first time in half a century.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
If you really have no money you could get a $20 unlimited talk and text cellular plan from Walmart, watch antenna television, and have no internet at all except when you go to the library.

I realize that the 22 GB deprioritization limit and the slower speeds of cellular versus coaxial are not ideal, but all I am saying is that AT&T has set a new bar of $70/month for services that a normal single well educated person needs to be an informed functional person.

Now AT&T is including HBO Now in addition to Direct TV Now for the same $70 (still $95 for first three months).

We are only a few years away from fifth generation cellular. This kind of deal may become the norm for most young people.

The domestic movie boxoffice seems to have topped out in 2002 at 1,575.7 million tickets with Spider-Man as the most popular film. Movies sold only 1,268.2 million tickets in 2014 as the R-rated American Sniper was the first time the box office was led by a film aimed at adults. Teenagers have kept the movie industry going for decades since big screen High Definition televisions have seduced most adults from going to the theater except in rare instances.

Teens need to get out of the house. But now they can easily stream movies in a parked car. We might see the domestic box office drop below a billion tickets for the first time in half a century.
I respect your enthusiasm for their offering I'm just saying that it may not work for everyone. Cellular simply is not at the level where it can replace WiFi.

But I do like the fact that you mentioned 5G. I think the implementation is some years down the line before it will fully be realized. Most people don't realize that 5G can replace wired communications across the board for consumers. But it isn't going to be rolled out in the way that people think it that it will (or are hopeful that it will). 5G could replace cable television and satellite, in cities, not just give us faster cellular speeds, or higher data limits.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I respect your enthusiasm for their offering I'm just saying that it may not work for everyone. Cellular simply is not at the level where it can replace WiFi.
With the right equipment and expectations it absolutely can.

We live in our RV, and travel full time. We've used Verizon exclusively for our data connection in our RV for almost 3 years. I'm in various support / interest groups with hundreds of others like us that do exactly the same thing week in and week out, and almost all of us are using wireless from Verizon or AT&T as our primary connection (many carry both carriers, or carry T-Mobile as a backup).

I'm a software developer, and spend many hours a week connected to remote equipment. I also manage to keep 2 Macs, 9 Windows installations, and 10 Android and iOS devices fully updated without issue (along with development environments for three languages). We also do almost 100 percent of our media consumption via Hulu, Showtime, Netflix, Amazon, and HBO streaming subscriptions (and occasionally rent from Vudu).

We routinely use 250+ GB per month over our 4 Verizon lines, and know many who do more than that.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
With the right equipment and expectations it absolutely can.

We live in our RV, and travel full time. We've used Verizon exclusively for our data connection in our RV for almost 3 years. I'm in various support / interest groups with hundreds of others like us that do exactly the same thing week in and week out, and almost all of us are using wireless from Verizon or AT&T as our primary connection (many carry both carriers, or carry T-Mobile as a backup).

I'm a software developer, and spend many hours a week connected to remote equipment. I also manage to keep 2 Macs, 9 Windows installations, and 10 Android and iOS devices fully updated without issue (along with development environments for three languages). We also do almost 100 percent of our media consumption via Hulu, Showtime, Netflix, Amazon, and HBO streaming subscriptions (and occasionally rent from Vudu).

We routinely use 250+ GB per month over our 4 Verizon lines, and know many who do more than that.
I used to do 125 GB per month throttled on GoPhone back in the day. Those were good times.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I used to do 125 GB per month throttled on GoPhone back in the day. Those were good times.
Our plan is still the old grandfathered unlimited data plan. It's not cheap, but we're rocking a 60/12 connection this week in ID. Of course that's with rooftop MIMO antennas connected to the jetpack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet