Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:47 AM

16,482 posts, read 19,517,698 times

Advertisements

In my experience, these consumer level mesh systems work perfectly as advertised. They don't wait for your signal to get low, they automatically grab the strongest signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 10:24 PM

16,310 posts, read 8,398,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I agree that 2200 square feet does not sound that large. Is it 50' by 44' ?
I prefer a low tech solution, as a wifi net which can cost hundreds of dollars.

My home is 56' by 73' and the walls are lathe and plaster (construction from the late 1920's). So even the most powerful router won't cover the entire home.

I run a Cat5e cable from the modem to the router & WiFi access point on one end of the home. It is connected to three television cable set top boxes (I found out that the cable boxes really work best if connected to one router). The remaining port has a Cat5e cable that runs to the other end of the house and a $20 switch.

From the switch, I have more devices plugged in (two computers, one Roku, and a second wireless access point).

I use the same network name and passwords on both routers. If I carry a phone or a tablet from one end of the house to the other, I must turn off the WiFi and then turn it back on again. That makes the phone switch from one router to the other.

You might ask yourself if you really need wifi at both ends of the home. If not then just a switch might do the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Instead of having the existing router at one end of the condo, can you relocate it to a more central location, and then run an Ethernet cable between it and the existing modem ?
Unfortunately, my condo only has certain walls that most of the utilities run through. Since it is two stories that are staggered apart and was pre-wired, it is not possible to set up the router away from the modem. Even if I could, it would then have to be downstairs, with the upstairs suffering as a result.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:35 PM

16,310 posts, read 8,398,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aherman74 View Post
The R7800 is a beast with 1 watt of transmit power, so you could make the most of it with a Wi-Fi-over-coax setup. The Coaxifi project on Kickstarter has a low-loss Wi-Fi splitter that sends Wi-Fi signals in every band over your condo's coaxial cabling. You'd just thread their kit on an R7800 antenna connector, put their high-gain antennas on the unused cable outlets, and then the signals essentially walk through the walls of your house. The advantage over "Wi-Fi over Wi-Fi" meshes and extenders is that there's no ping delay due to routing between access points, no loss in bandwidth due to channel congestion between APs, and no hidden node interference caused by APs. You also don't need to rewire your house like you would with Cat5e-fed UniFi units. Should eat through concrete fairly well.
It sounds interesting. However, I have all three bedrooms downstairs, and each uses the coax cable to receive the Comcast cable to the TV's.
Could it still work?

Old 06-13-2017, 12:44 PM

18 posts, read 15,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It sounds interesting. However, I have all three bedrooms downstairs, and each uses the coax cable to receive the Comcast cable to the TV's.
Could it still work?
From what I read, the versions they currently offer are probably not the best setup if you have TVs on each outlet, although having 1 outlet with TV or 1 outlet with a modem is fine. Coaxifi should be perfect for cord cutters and people with DSL or fiber though.

For more money, there are some other Wi-Fi over coax options that work with up to 16 modems/TV receivers via MoCA. Actiontec has the WCB3000NK01 set ($149), and Teleste has the EOC-04 set (GBP 114 = USD $145). Interestingly, Teleste says the adapters deliver a "minimum" of 400 Mbps, as opposed to a maximum - not sure if that's a typo. Then there are Wi-Fi to Ethernet adapters that one imagines could be book-ended with Actiontec or Yitong MoCA adapters over coax, but that sounds like a lot of equipment. MoCA and powerline adapters can be fussy about their voltages as well, which is a drawback versus a purely passive system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet