Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:39 AM

673 posts, read 2,716,390 times

Advertisements

My main web host is shutting down. I'd appreciate any recommendations. My main criteria are customer service, minimal down-time, decent load time, a control panel, years of existence - and, of course, price. The sites are relatively small and require relatively low bandwidth.

I tried hosting one of my sites with HostMonster after reading a number of comparison articles. But the template that I use on other sites loads very slowly on HostMonster - a few elements at a time. It comes across looking cheap.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 11:12 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
1&1 internet hosting is pretty reasonable and is rated pretty good.

1&1 Internet Inc. - Web Hosting Services and Domain Name Registration

Old 01-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
HostPC is running a 2-for-1 special until the end of the month. They're a well-regarded host used by a lot of bargain-hunters.

HostPC Cabin Fever Sale! - HostPC / Yareo Community Support Forums (http://hostpc.com/community/showthread.php?t=3613 - broken link)

Old 01-26-2008, 06:47 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
I have used eUK host since 2000 and have roughly 10 sites with them at the moment. They host both in the UK and the USA and are pretty cheap. Though their services arent "cheap" if you know what I mean. They have a great support forum and free Skype and Chat support. All problems are usually fixed within 6 hours are so, and 99% of the time less than 24hrs.
UK Web Hosting - Cheap Windows Linux cPanel Shared Reseller Web Hosting in UK is their website addy. If you have any q's feel free to ask me.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:18 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,390 times
What specs do you need to create a quote? And what's the best method / software to transfer web files (while maintaining folder structure)? Thanks.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:00 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
If you have CPanel you should be able to just backup everything via that, including databases.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,697 times
Default ICDSoft

I use ICDSoft.com - The Ultimate in Web Hosting

I was using 1and1 for a while and am glad I left them - google them and see whats going on with them before you sign up. I love ICDSoft and would recommend them to anybody I know looking for web hosting stuff.

Message me if you got any questions.

Regards,
D.

===============

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
My main web host is shutting down. I'd appreciate any recommendations. My main criteria are customer service, minimal down-time, decent load time, a control panel, years of existence - and, of course, price. The sites are relatively small and require relatively low bandwidth.

I tried hosting one of my sites with HostMonster after reading a number of comparison articles. But the template that I use on other sites loads very slowly on HostMonster - a few elements at a time. It comes across looking cheap.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:17 AM

10 posts, read 51,790 times
if yiou are looking for a reliable hosting company i think Blue Host is perfect ..i use it from 2-3 years ago and i never had a complaiment abut it ...best of luck

Old 09-06-2008, 11:47 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
HostGator

I run my own colocated server but was considering switching my sites over to a commercial web host to save a few bucks. I gave HostGator a test drive a month or so ago to check them out - they get pretty glowing reviews on the tech forums I frequent.

They have very good pricing and their packages are pretty feature rich - I'd recommend them.

I ended up keeping my own server, though. I'm used to having full control over the machine and being able to install / tweak whatever I want, and you just don't get that in a shared hosting environment, and going to a virtual server package wasn't worth the money for me.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Between myself and clients I use mostly Bluehost and Gate.com. Both are quick, reliable and not overly expensive. They answer the phone in a reasonable length of time when you call.

Register.com also does hosting in addition to domain leasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet