Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 02:03 PM

340 posts, read 223,065 times

Advertisements

Greetings

I am trying to get the internet cable company to call me back regarding the cost of extending their existing network another mile or two where I am located.

Does anyone have any experience gathering costs and such from neighbors, or helping to fit the bill to help offset costs of construction?

Any shared stories regarding this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 02:58 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
I am not a fan of satellite television, but it sounds as if it would be a more reasonable alternative for you.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:07 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
I assume you want internet and not TV. I can only comment from a business perspective. They will want to charge you construction costs unless you can pool some people together and commit to a contract.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
It will be hard for them to do that. I know some people who try to get them to move it across the road to another pole and then another 100 yards to the house and cost was in the 20k range.. and needed permits from the city to get permission to cross the road. So yea to get them to that, not going to happen. It sucks but they wont do it. Like one poster said, not a fan of SAT tv or SAT internet.. would get a Tmobile hotspot if i was you..

Old 09-28-2017, 10:47 PM

Thanks guys. I used to have satellite tv, and it was a challenge sometimes. We've been spoiled for the past 10 years or so with fiber optic internet and tv.

i appreciate the suggestions, but I don't think t-mobile or hughsnet is going to meet our business needs, and my god, why does it cost so much for satellite data? Serious question if anyone can answer it. It would cost nearly 2k a month to use what my family uses now for under a hundred.

Looks like I won't be moving to the house after all, and will have to put it up for sale.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:50 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
There's another possibility. I don't know where you live but AT&T is now offering what they call Fixed Wireless. They are just getting started and it is only available in certain states. They use strategically placed towers and then antennas at your house or business. Their speed is 10mb down and 1.5 up at the moment.

https://www.att.com/internet/fixed-wireless.html

Old 09-29-2017, 08:12 AM

I was looking into the ATT fixed wireless the other day. It does seem promising compared to all the other alternatives, but it still seems pretty inferior to the cable route.

When I talked to the tech guy on the phone he said there was a tower in the area, but couldn't guarantee my location would be acceptable.

He said the best way to know would be to take an att based cell phone to the location, and see what kind of coverage it gets. But then I still wouldn't how well the fixed wireless system worked, as he did admit that data could be as slow as 9mpbs during traffic times, but could also be as high as 72 mbps.

I'm currently enjoying cable at 75 mbps, and while I don't know how low it gets during traffic times, we haven't had any problems with it whatsover, so I imagine the cable co. is able to keep the flow mostly elevated.

I would like to hear plenty of good reviews about the fixed wireless though, but as new as it is, that may be a while before it happens.

If you happen to know of any, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet