Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 04:10 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Again if Comcast wanted to do that under NN they could, they would be precluded from offering any special access to it. e.g. If there was a data cap in place it would have to fall under it like any other third party service.
What is the meaning of this statement from the article: Comcast also agreed to adhere to some net neutrality principles independent of the FCC's net neutrality rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 05:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
What is the meaning of this statement from the article: Comcast also agreed to adhere to some net neutrality principles independent of the FCC's net neutrality rules.
At the time the rules were not codified. What that means is whether a customer is accessing hulu, Comcast video services, Netflix, Sling TV, Amazon Prime, Fox News Videos, CNN news, Youtube or any other video service the customer is going to get equal access to them.

If for example there is data cap they will fall under the data cap and the speed of your connection to those services will all be given equal priority based on what you are paying for.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:44 AM

1,487 posts, read 781,364 times
Default Will it be called Net Partiality when Net Neutrality is abolished?

I read every post and I didn't see anybody make reference to the "innovation" that is being stonewalled by Net Neutrality, and all the jobs which will need filling when it is abolished. Those were the first topics of persuasion Trump alluded to on my favorite morning radio show last week .
Wasn't there also some talk of increased variety for the consumer? What is the real reason he wants this abolished? Is it for his own personal gain, or for the benefit of the country?
Will my unlimited talk text & web plan increase for my android?

Old 12-22-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
I read every post and I didn't see anybody make reference to the "innovation" that is being stonewalled by Net Neutrality,
Turning your modem into the equivalent of the modern day TV cable box is not an innovation. The internet operating under NN for the last 20+ years, open standards like HTML, open source software like the software on the backend of this server and the ability of anyone to leverage that to create services that any consumer could access is what has left it wide open for innovation.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:53 AM

Having used computers for forty years, I remember the 3M computer concept.

The goal of 3M was first proposed in the early 1980s by Raj Reddy and his colleagues at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) as a minimum specification for academic/technical workstations:
at least a megabyte of memory,
a megapixel display and
a million instructions per second (MIPS) processing power.

It was also often said that it should cost no more than a "megapenny" ($10,000).

At that time a typical desktop computer such as an early IBM Personal Computer might have
1/8 of a megabyte of memory (128K),
1/4 of a million pixels (640x400 monochrome display), and
run at 0.33 million instructions per second (5Mhz 8088).

Quote:
Turning your modem into the equivalent of the modern day TV cable box is not an innovation.
I still remember someone saying to me that in the future it would be unsophisticated users who would require the most computing power.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:

At that time a typical desktop computer such as an early IBM Personal Computer might have
1/8 of a megabyte of memory (128K),
1/4 of a million pixels (640x400 monochrome display), and
run at 0.33 million instructions per second (5Mhz 8088).
I had a C64 in the early 80's, the RAM was 64K. Not sure about the processing power. Not sure what is was capable of displaying but you used a regular TV. It did have color and sound though. The file size for my C64 wallpaper on my win machine currently occupies almost 64K.

Quote:
I still remember someone saying to me that in the future it would be unsophisticated users who would require the most computing power.
There is famous quote from Bill Gates something, something along the lines of along the lines of "640K of memory is more than ever will ever need".

Old 12-23-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
There is famous quote from Bill Gates something, something along the lines of along the lines of "640K of memory is more than ever will ever need".
I do like your quote: Turning your modem into the equivalent of the modern day TV cable box is not an innovation.

Should I credit you, or did you read that?

Forty years ago when I was working on computers I said to myself that someday people will use these things to watch episodes of Beverly Hillbillies from start to finish.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Should I credit you, or did you read that?
I didn't read it anywhere I'm aware of but I'm sure many people have made the same or similar statement. No credit required.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:58 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
There's actually no source for that quote and Gates himself denies saying it.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:04 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
"While I have no problem with net neutrality as a principle or concept, I have serious concerns about Net Neutrality as legislation or public policy." ....

An oldie but still relevant, before the NN laws of 2015 were passed:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshste.../#50bbca6f70d5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet