Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 07:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I did find one a couple of months ago and removed it, and changed passwords. I did that in the phpmyadmin controls ....

You should never directly work with a database unless you are certain about what you are doing. In web applications like Worpress the data in one table is often interlinked with data from another table. For example that user you deleted may have references in a groups table or whatever WordPress may call it. You should always use the tools provided by the application as it will handle updating all the tables that need to be updated other wise there may be unforeseen consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 06:33 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You should never directly work with a database unless you are certain about what you are doing. In web applications like Worpress the data in one table is often interlinked with data from another table. For example that user you deleted may have references in a groups table or whatever WordPress may call it. You should always use the tools provided by the application as it will handle updating all the tables that need to be updated other wise there may be unforeseen consequences.
Agreed, but I had to do it then because they locked me out. It was the only way to get in and start the cleanup process which, again, I didn’t complete like I should have. This time I was my host who suspended my domain. I haven’t been in to the word press administrator account yet, but that’s on the agenda for today.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:51 AM

You don't need the host to access it as long as you acces to the files and the database. install XAMPP. Pick version with same php version and database version as your host.

https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html

You should install to C:\XAMPP , there will folder in there htdocs which is same thing as public_html. phpmyadimin can be accessed from here: http://localhost/phpmyadmin/

Open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and add this line changing yourdomain:

127.0.0.1 yourdomain.com

Save the file and in your browser go to your domain, it may not load the files from local version. If so hold ctrl and hit F5 which should clear out the cached DNS entries.

You can work on it locally from there. Upload the files to the server and repopulate the database. Once you are done comment out the line in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts so you can view the live version in the browser. Once again you may have hit ctrl f5 to clear out cached DNS entries.

#127.0.0.1 yourdomain.com

Next time you want to edit locally just uncomment it.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

Assuming you have backups of nothing first backup the database. Copy the entire contents of the public_html directory to your computer and then delete everything in the public_html directory. Upload fresh copy of Wordress, be sure to follow any directions from the install instructions about file/folder permissions. From the files you downloaded you want to upload only the necessary files such as images you may have uploaded.

Whenever I try to copy the contents using the bluehost file manager, it won't let me do it. I have download one file at a time. There has to be an easier way that I have yet to find.

Edit: I did find a way to make a tar file backup. Is that good enough?

Last edited by dkf747; 06-02-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 09:24 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Whenever I try to copy the contents using the bluehost file manager, it won't let me do it. I have download one file at a time. There has to be an easier way that I have yet to find.
Try compressing them first.

https://my.bluehost.com/hosting/help/2223

Old 06-02-2018, 01:38 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Use good, long passwords.
2. Don't use WordPress.
What do you recommend, instead of Wordpress?

Old 06-02-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Whenever I try to copy the contents using the bluehost file manager,

The file managers in hosting control panels are useless except for quick delete or something, you need to use FTP client.:

https://winscp.net/eng/download.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman
Upload fresh copy of Wordress, be sure to follow any directions from the install instructions about file/folder permissions.
Just to clarify something here, you are not going to go through the install process except for setting the file/folder permissions. Also I cannot reiterate how important it is to make sure you backup the database first. With a copy of the files and backup of the database you can always go back to square one.

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-02-2018 at 04:59 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 05:52 PM

I think the compression method I mentioned should work given the Bluehost doc I attached, but if you’re going to download an FTP client, one I really like is Filezilla.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I think the compression method I mentioned should work given the Bluehost doc I attached, but if you’re going to download an FTP client, one I really like is Filezilla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Try compressing them first.

https://my.bluehost.com/hosting/help/2223

I'm finding out right now ifi it works. Will I be able to unzip them on my external hard drive so I can go through them there?

Old 06-02-2018, 08:06 PM

Yes. Right click on it and you should see an unzip or decompress option, not sure what OS you’re using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet