Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 04:25 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Thanks, yes, I have. That's the first thing I tried. It's very strange! I'd hate to lose the ability to comment.
I lost it...what a pain. Now I use DM....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 04:46 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
No. It just happened after I got a 'reprimand' from a moderator (1 point) and I was knocked off for a day.

Should I contact that mod and tell him/her about the problem?
I think you should try a different web browser so you can figure out if it's a browser problem or a problem with your city-data account.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:32 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I think you should try a different web browser so you can figure out if it's a browser problem or a problem with your city-data account.
I'm using Internet Explorer 11. I really don't want to switch to Google Chrome.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:35 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
It doesn't work on GC....for me.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:38 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
OK, that's fine. It's basic website troubleshooting though. I don't have any other suggestions, this has never happened to me.

I use about 5 different browsers regularly.. it's really not a big deal to download and install an extra browser.
I'm quite fond of Opera and Vivaldi, but I also use Chrome and Firefox regularly, and even Microsoft Edge from time to time. Microsoft really wants you using Edge not Explorer, by the way, they've retired Explorer.
I'm not saying everybody needs to use 5 browsers, but everybody should have at least 2. Browsers can be quirky, and not every website works every time on every browser.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:09 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Also, have you just logged out of City-Data and then logged back in since getting the infraction, which I'm guessing is now in the past?
I wonder if this would fix it.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:05 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,330 times
This has nothing to do with the forum, so logging in and out won't help. I'm not an expert but it sounds like a problem with a pop-up. Do you get any pop-up windows here or on other websites? Does it work?

Perhaps you'd be better off asking this question on the Internet forum - someone might be able to point you to the browser or internet settings responsible. Might have something to do with scripts.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:57 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Microsoft released a number of updates this month impacting lots of areas, including IE 11. They probably broke something and, as Marka suggested, it likely involves the handling of scripts. Script issues seem to be plaguing most developers these days, but most issues are less serious than what you're describing.

In all likelihood, your only option is going to be moving to another browser. IE 11 is obsolete and inferior, anyway. If you're running Windows 10, give Edge a try and see if that solves your problem. Otherwise, I would recommend Firefox, warts and all. It also has minor issues with the CD reputation function, as does Chrome. But at least you'll have your comment window. It's a quick and easy download and installation.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:09 AM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I lost it...what a pain. Now I use DM....
This might work for both of you. On my phone it won't let me leave a message. I found I could click (on the scales at right) right click I mean, on open in New tab. It let me write my message, hit send and it is sent.

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2018, 05:12 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Using two browsers - Google Chrome and Opera regularly on three different devices and not having problems with reps, except the phone, but that's normal.
IE is obsolete, and I wouldn't use it, OP.
I think the problem is with your computer. Please do The Works and report back.

I am moving this thread to Internet Forum because it has nothing to do with City-Data malfunction.
If you don't know The Works, people on this forum will gladly walk you through the steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet