Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:19 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,679 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am moving across country into an apartment (temporarily, until I find a house to buy). I currently have high-speed internet through AT & T (through a modem/through the phone line).
How do I get internet access when I move? I don't really want to hook up a new land-line phone account if I don't have to, since I only plan to be in the apartment a month or two. (I can use my cell phone for incoming and outgoing calls). But how will I access the internet with my laptop?
I am NOT computer/internet savvy (obviously ) and want to plan ahead, so that when I arrive in my new apartment, I can just plug in the laptop and connect. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 01:01 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,176 times
If you plan to have cable tv, you may get highspeed internet from them.

Your only other options is to check with you cell provider, maybe they have a celular modem you can get online with (note normally very expensive)

There is a small chance that if you move into an apartment someone near will have a wireless router hooked to their high speed interenet. If it is unsecured you may be able to piggy back in. If not and it is secured a little detective work and a knock or two on a door may lead you to a neighbor that for a small donation would allow you some acces for a month or two.

Last resort is try to find a hotspot, like at the library or university, some coffee shops etc.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,086 times
yeah, talk to your Cell provider. You can get their aircards, that run off their cell networks. That might be your best bet, because I think that they have plans where you just pay for the amount of bandwidth you use.

Other than that, cable TV/internet, or leeching off some other unsavvy person.

Hotspots are always good.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:55 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,679 times
Well, I guess I don't really have a cell provider....it's just one of those cheap Virgin "pay as you go" cell phones. And I'm moving to a really small, rural town, very unlikely to have any Internet cafes or anything. Any suggestions??

Old 04-04-2008, 06:20 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
Get a cell provider?

Seriously, there aren't any other options which will let you walk into the apartment for the first time and have service. Your options would be a cell provider that offers internet access (instant, but expensive, and may not be available in your area), cable (not instant, requires setup, probably a few days of wait), DSL (same issue), or satellite (same issue).

Old 04-05-2008, 04:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Here's something to think about if you're only going to be there a couple of months: When you get there, find out who in your immediate area has wi-fi and ask if you can sponge off of them for a couple of months for, say, $20 or $30 a month. Or maybe you'll be lucky enough to have a neighbor too dumb to encrypt his signal. My brother-in-law has been leaching off his neighbor for 2 years now.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:52 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Here's something to think about if you're only going to be there a couple of months: When you get there, find out who in your immediate area has wi-fi and ask if you can sponge off of them for a couple of months for, say, $20 or $30 a month. Or maybe you'll be lucky enough to have a neighbor too dumb to encrypt his signal. My brother-in-law has been leaching off his neighbor for 2 years now.
Its fairly effective, and its not illegal to borrow someone's unprotected broadcasted service.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Its fairly effective, and its not illegal to borrow someone's unprotected broadcasted service.
Sure is, someone in Florida actually got arrested for doing this about 3 years ago - theft of services, iirc.

USATODAY.com - Florida man charged with stealing Wi-Fi signal

Old 04-06-2008, 01:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Sort of. It depends on the jurisdiction, though I suspect that sooner or later federal law on wi-fi access will pre-empt state law because of FCC jurisdiction over wi-fi signals. In the meantime, the legal issues of accessing an open network are still far from settled. IMO it's stupid to make it illegal to access an open network, but judges have shown themselves to be exceptionally ignorant about tech issues. So it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sort of. It depends on the jurisdiction, though I suspect that sooner or later federal law on wi-fi access will pre-empt state law because of FCC jurisdiction over wi-fi signals. In the meantime, the legal issues of accessing an open network are still far from settled. IMO it's stupid to make it illegal to access an open network, but judges have shown themselves to be exceptionally ignorant about tech issues. So it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Doesn't mean I'd want to risk it...

Personally, I leave my network open. Its kind of the "neighborly" thing to do imho, if someone uses comcast and their connection goes down, they can feel free to mooch. I don't use all of my connection so often that it'd be a problem. And there is always the ability to cut anyone off who decides to abuse it.

My neighbor, when I first moved in, told me which network was his, so I could feel free to connect until I got mine up and running for just that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet