Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 10:33 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times

Advertisements

I got an email this morning from Amazon.com providing me with an access code to my account. This is the type of code used in two-factor authorization.

But the thing is... I didn't try to log into my account this morning. And I haven't set up two-factor authorization on the account.

If I didn't set that option up, I'm trying to figure out why I would get such a code sent to me. It would seem someone was able to get into my account.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 01:52 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Change your password and make sure you have 2 step verification. Make sure that the password is unique. That IS someone trying to get in.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Change your password and make sure you have 2 step verification. Make sure that the password is unique. That IS someone trying to get in.

Thanks. I ended up calling Amazon and they said the same thing. They also told me I should pay attention to my email to see if I see anything else strange. I changed my password I added the 2 step verification. I changed my password on my email as well.

I am feeling a bit suspicious about how someone got my email address (needed to log into amazon). I have various alias email addresses that all link to the same account. That particular address is only used for online shopping. I wonder if another site that I shopped at got hacked somehow.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:00 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I also got an email from Amazon with a sign-in code on 10/16. I, too, called Amazon and was told that someone had probably tried to log in to my account from a different device than the one I usually use. Since I have only a desktop computer (no iPad, laptop or smartphone), I guess anyone's trying to log in to my account from anywhere else would trigger such an email.

Afterward, I googled it and found that you may get the email with a sign-in code not only if someone tries to log in as you from a different device but also if you try to log in from a different browser.

Edited to add that I knew the email had actually come from Amazon because I was able to verify the email address and also because I checked out the header.

Last edited by TFW46; 10-20-2018 at 08:08 AM..

Old 10-20-2018, 11:28 AM

Thanks TFW -

I am feeling a bit skeptical about the on-line shopping I did recently, right before this happened. I bought things on-line at Target, Kohl's, and Old Navy. I'm wondering if that is how someone got my email address to try on Amazon.

There is no way to know, though but I feel better now that I have added two-factor authorization on my Amazon account.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:44 AM

Since this happened to both you and me, KittenSparkles, in the morning of the same day, I'm wondering if there was a hiccup on Amazon's part. Maybe Amazon sent sign-on code emails to lots of its account holders, for no reason.

I was somewhat concerned because the Amazon agent stated that someone must have had both my email address and my password -- and that the sign-on code email was sent only because that person was logging in with a different device that Amazon didnt recognize. But now I'm actually a bit more relaxed in thinking it may have been an Amazon hiccup.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Since this happened to both you and me, KittenSparkles, in the morning of the same day, I'm wondering if there was a hiccup on Amazon's part. Maybe Amazon sent sign-on code emails to lots of its account holders, for no reason.

I was somewhat concerned because the Amazon agent stated that someone must have had both my email address and my password -- and that the sign-on code email was sent only because that person was logging in with a different device that Amazon didnt recognize. But now I'm actually a bit more relaxed in thinking it may have been an Amazon hiccup.

Hopefully that is the case!

Old 10-20-2018, 08:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Maybe it was someone trying to phish your Amazon login, in the hope that you'd click the link the link in the email message and log in to their phishing site with your Amazon login.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Maybe it was someone trying to phish your Amazon login, in the hope that you'd click the link the link in the email message and log in to their phishing site with your Amazon login.
No. I'm very well aware of phishing emails. As I already posted, I verified that the email did come from Amazon. I also checked the header to make sure it wasnt from a scammer pretending to be Amazon. The email did not include a link on which to click. It had only the sign-on code to insert in the Amazon page that I already had open.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I have been getting Google emails stating that someone who knows my password has attempted to log in to my account. I tracked it and it's me. Duh Google.

This is how long my Google password is.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think it might be because I use different browsers on occasion, but I'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet