Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:05 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I bet your old emails are toast. I suggest in the future do not use web mail. Even with Gmail I have mine set for local copies. — I have no other suggestions, I doubt you'll get your old email back, join the many ranks of people who have gripes against Spectrum. I wish their streaming app wasn't so flaky.

On another forum, someone was talking about using the old, simpler technology. Now, here, some are talking about losing old "important" emails if you leave Spectrum or Comcast or ???. I assume this means you are saving some very important letters with Spectrum, etc.?

So, the simpler way? I don't do it for the above reasons but I never send important letters that I want saved or want good evidence of having sent them via internet. I type the letter the old-fashioned way and print out an extra copy for my files. My own files, not Spectrum's or anyone else's.

Yes, I know the "go paperless" motto but some things are more important. One is a letter I plan to write to Spectrum. Story up-coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 09:16 AM

I opened City Data on purpose to ask about something and found the perfect thread for it. I have seen no one say this has happened to them. It makes me wonder if there is something else going on. I know I did not imagine it. It happened.

Last week, I called Spectrum to ask for an explanation of something on my statement. Of course, I got the trusty robot. I asked to speak with an agent. Robot informed me that it could transfer me but I should know that it would cost me $5 plus for time used. What???? Robot then asked if I wanted to do this. I said "no". Two more times it asked the same and two more times I said "no". The third time, I got dead silence for quite a while. Then came intermittent music and ads. Robot had apparently transferred me anyway and I was on hold. I immediately hung up. Now I wait to see what next month's statement will show.

Has anyone else been told they have to pay to speak with customer service? Are we really going to be charged to call Spectrum (and maybe other ISPs) now? Heaven help us when businesses start charging us to telephone them. You call intending to buy something. Robot says $5 please. You hang up. Business lost.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:52 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I opened City Data on purpose to ask about something and found the perfect thread for it. I have seen no one say this has happened to them. It makes me wonder if there is something else going on. I know I did not imagine it. It happened.

Last week, I called Spectrum to ask for an explanation of something on my statement. Of course, I got the trusty robot. I asked to speak with an agent. Robot informed me that it could transfer me but I should know that it would cost me $5 plus for time used. What???? Robot then asked if I wanted to do this. I said "no". Two more times it asked the same and two more times I said "no". The third time, I got dead silence for quite a while. Then came intermittent music and ads. Robot had apparently transferred me anyway and I was on hold. I immediately hung up. Now I wait to see what next month's statement will show.

Has anyone else been told they have to pay to speak with customer service? Are we really going to be charged to call Spectrum (and maybe other ISPs) now? Heaven help us when businesses start charging us to telephone them. You call intending to buy something. Robot says $5 please. You hang up. Business lost.
According to this, there is no fee to ask about the bill
Does Charter Charge $5 to Talk to a Human Rep? Only When You Want to Pay Them ·

Old 12-06-2018, 03:21 PM

• If you are calling to discuss your bill, request credit, or ask a question about the bill, there is no fee.
  • If you want to make a payment on your account online, there is no charge for that service.
  • If you want to make a payment by phone, the automated attendant is capable of taking your payment details over the phone and complete a payment request at no charge.
  • If you want to make a payment by phone and don’t want to use the automated call attendant, a $5 fee will generally apply. Ask if they will waive it if you have problems with the automated attendant.
So they do have a fee under one condition. And they've had it since 2016? Strange. I have called them several times over the ten years I've been here and this is the first time that robot has said such a thing. Also, I wrote them a note about this and never got a reply. Not yet anyway. I use Auto Pay but, of course, the robot would not have known this. I did say I had a question about my bill.

I wonder if other ISPs are doing this. Oh well. nothing I can do. I shall be hesitant to call them any more.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:44 AM

325 posts, read 163,448 times
i have never been charged a 5.00 fee because i called customer service and my service was so bad i was calling 4 times a day and was never charged 5.00!!! if they started that then i would give em the two middle fingers and tell em to come and get there **** wich i did wind up doing

Old 12-07-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
i have never been charged a 5.00 fee because i called customer service and my service was so bad i was calling 4 times a day and was never charged 5.00!!! if they started that then i would give em the two middle fingers and tell em to come and get there **** wich i did wind up doing

It all sounds very crazy mixed up to me. Did they ever publicly notify us that they were doing this? We have to learn it from a robot at the moment of need? I have said it often. Cities and counties made a big mistake when they picked one or two ISPs for their areas and banned all the others. I can see their reason but it left us with no freedom of choice. And did the cities/counties retain any legal control? Probably didn't want any.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If you still have access to the TW/spectrum email, set it up on an email client such as MS Outlook. Setup a gmail account or similar and add it to same client. Then, you can just simply copy (or move) emails from one account to the other.

There are free alternatives to Outlook such as Thunderbird. I know this works in Outlook, as I've done this before.
I use Thunderbird and it is pretty seamless after you tie it to any web mail account(s). I like having the emails on my computer and being able to save/use them just as I would any doc.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 PM

220 posts, read 133,560 times
Angry Spectrum Sucks

I just got off the phone with them and they can't help me nor can I help them. They changed the whole email crap and I can't get to the old email format. That means I can't get to other emails with my password since I don't know them. I am just venting cause I am mad!

Old 06-13-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
I just got off the phone with them and they can't help me nor can I help them. They changed the whole email crap and I can't get to the old email format. That means I can't get to other emails with my password since I don't know them. I am just venting cause I am mad!

Did this just happen? I ask because for the past few days I have been getting very little email. Then suddenly today I have almost 100 letters in my Inbox. They go back several days.

As for them not being able to help, that is a common response from them. Wonder if it depends on who answers. Sometimes I get great help. Other times, zilch.

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:18 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Fascinating. Hard to believe. Do they charge for it?
This is not hard to believe. Spectrum gives you like 5GB for free for your email. This is nothing. Costs them literally nothing. So when you cancel Spectrum that flat out WANT you to keep your email with them. Every single time you go to their web mail portal, what do you see? SEPCTRUM ADS. Ads that also cost them nothing. The hope is that you'll someday come back.
I canceled my ATT service 15 years ago and still have that old email address. Buddy of mine has an old Roadrunner account... he dropped that service 15 years ago also. He loves the @Roadrunner.com extension so he keeps it and has been using it as his primary ever since.

They will not cancel your account.
They will not shut it down.
They have no incentive to do so and lose that slim chance to advertise to you and get you back.
I can flat out promise you that.
It would be really dumb for them to give up that free advertising channel.

Having said all that, my primary is Gmail. I use that old one as my spam account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet