Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 05:10 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,107,902 times

Advertisements

Seem terrifying to me...

China's Vast New Experiment in Social Ranking
Wired
By Mara Hvistendahl

...The Chinese government announced it was developing what it called a system of “social credit.” In 2014, the State Council, China’s governing cabinet, publicly called for the establishment of a nationwide tracking system to rate the reputations of individuals, businesses, and even government officials. The aim is for every Chinese citizen to be trailed by a file compiling data from public and private sources by 2020, and for those files to be searchable by fingerprints and other biometric characteristics.

https://www.wired.com/story/age-of-social-credit/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 09:58 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,014,360 times
It's in its basic stage but the U.S. already has a nationwide tracking system. We call it a Social Security number.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:54 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,446,553 times
You can bet they have other methods in place to track you as well...some that NO ONE is aware of too.

Im on the fence with SS numbers though, its says very clearly right on the card...NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFICATION, plus they are fairly easy to fake, plenty of people running around with fake SS numbers.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,522,177 times
I remember when stores used to ask for your SS number when you cashed a check. They really got upset when I refused. A manager was usually called over and I would tell them to take out theirs and read what it said regarding using it for ID. I never once ended up having to show it. On occasion I would leave with check in hand and merchandise on the counter. Their problem. Not mine.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:25 PM

6,561 posts, read 11,198,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Seem terrifying to me...

China's Vast New Experiment in Social Ranking
Wired
By Mara Hvistendahl

...The Chinese government announced it was developing what it called a system of “social credit.” In 2014, the State Council, China’s governing cabinet, publicly called for the establishment of a nationwide tracking system to rate the reputations of individuals, businesses, and even government officials. The aim is for every Chinese citizen to be trailed by a file compiling data from public and private sources by 2020, and for those files to be searchable by fingerprints and other biometric characteristics.

https://www.wired.com/story/age-of-social-credit/
As the article mentioned, this is really just the Chinese version of the FICO score. Something we've been using for decades. Of course, while they've become a more capitalistic economy, they are still ruled by a communist government, so the government is looking to use the same info to go further than just your "financial trustworthiness".

That said - it's fairly ironic how accurate the dystopian Sci-fi stories are getting more and more like reality. Especially the movies/books that talk about corporations basically running the world as opposed to government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
It's in its basic stage but the U.S. already has a nationwide tracking system. We call it a Social Security number.
This is one of my bigger pet peeves - how much the SSN is used for pretty much anything financial. The system was never intended for these purposes. But a lot of our critical infrastructure "latched on" to this ID system. Since it existed, and everyone has one, it was easy to use rather than develop something different. However, because it was never designed for this - there were never any controls to prevent the abuse of it.

There is zero reason why your healthcare provider should be asking for this - not to mention their inability to really protect that information. Yet, try getting care if you choose not to provide it... In most cases, they don't even know why they're collecting it - it's just "it's always been done" or "our parent company requires us to do it".

Old 01-01-2019, 02:27 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,522,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
As the article mentioned, this is really just the Chinese version of the FICO score. Something we've been using for decades. Of course, while they've become a more capitalistic economy, they are still ruled by a communist government, so the government is looking to use the same info to go further than just your "financial trustworthiness".

That said - it's fairly ironic how accurate the dystopian Sci-fi stories are getting more and more like reality. Especially the movies/books that talk about corporations basically running the world as opposed to government.

This is one of my bigger pet peeves - how much the SSN is used for pretty much anything financial. The system was never intended for these purposes. But a lot of our critical infrastructure "latched on" to this ID system. Since it existed, and everyone has one, it was easy to use rather than develop something different. However, because it was never designed for this - there were never any controls to prevent the abuse of it.

There is zero reason why your healthcare provider should be asking for this - not to mention their inability to really protect that information. Yet, try getting care if you choose not to provide it... In most cases, they don't even know why they're collecting it - it's just "it's always been done" or "our parent company requires us to do it".
I have never been required to give my physicians my SSN number. If I was asked I would refuse.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:06 AM

8,635 posts, read 4,457,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Various subsections of our civilization have their own "social ranking" systems. Like the "rep points" on this forum. The government has some similarity of that in use, but they don't allow it to be known. (Try to get into the office to talk to the Sec of Interior, if you have no credentials that make him want to see you.)

Quote:
I absolutely agree. This is both a product of our massive populations increases over the past 150 years, and the natural human tendency to move towards and oligarchical society.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:37 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,029,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I have never been required to give my physicians my SSN number. If I was asked I would refuse.
I have at some point. It’s buried in the plethora of new-patient or annual-update paperwork they cram onto a clipboard for you to fill out, prior to an appointment.

Even if not; they already have it. Have you ever looked at the “HIPAA Rights” statement you sign? You are not signing to give them consent to access or provide anything; you sign to state that you’ve been notified that they will access everything. Consent or not. https://www.healthit.gov/topic/inter...s-data-sharing

My opinion is that it is not as benign as “necessary for streamlining”, as there are serious implications for potential compulsory public health measures.

Employment Managed Health Care plan? Need SSN. Medicaid/Medicare? Need SSN. Indigent programs? Need SSN. That’s why cash paying private citizens freak them out; they are off the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Various subsections of our civilization have their own "social ranking" systems. Like the "rep points" on this forum.
I feel like large message boards, social media groups & their members actually are already utilized in studies regarding topics like “credibility”, “reputation” & “influence”. In fact, I know they are. Isn’t that what the “social listening” programs & services are for?

Pharma is a big consumer of those programs & so are “departments of”, such as the CDC. They would be stupid not to.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:08 PM

8,635 posts, read 4,457,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

I feel like large message boards, social media groups & their members actually are already utilized in studies regarding topics like “credibility”, “reputation” & “influence”. In fact, I know they are. Isn’t that what the “social listening” programs & services are for?

Pharma is a big consumer of those programs & so are “departments of”, such as the CDC. They would be stupid not to.
That is a part of it.

Social Network Analysis is a bigger part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet