Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 07:40 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Advertisements

Wow, Paco, where do you live? Those prices are insane!
TV + Internet 100M + Voice = 99.00 here.
btw, "Voice" is such a racket....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 08:31 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Most people don't actually pay those prices, but those are the retail prices. They just keep raising them every year to get closer and closer to retail if people don't complain. Many people never call to ask for a lower rate.i

What we pay
$79.99 Package 50Mb/8Mb Internet Service, Signature Cable TV, Ultra Feature Package, Unlimited Nationwide Calling
$2.00 Cable Modem Rental
$12.00 Six Tuner 4K DVR
$10.00 Two additional TVs set top boxes
$60.68 Taxes, Surcharges & Fees

My brother pays $116/month to the same company for a 25Mb/4Mb Internet only package. He is more inclined to call only once every four years, so they keep raising the rates.

Quote:
It can be. Sometimes it is a reasonable surcharge.

QAM delivered television using CableCARD is increasingly becoming the most overpriced item at home.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 01-22-2019 at 08:54 AM..

Old 01-23-2019, 05:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Unless it’s free there are so many other cheap options. Ooma comes to mind.

Last edited by markjames68; 01-23-2019 at 05:56 AM..

Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
What we pay
$79.99 Package 50Mb/8Mb Internet Service, Signature Cable TV, Ultra Feature Package, Unlimited Nationwide Calling
Well that's not awful by any means.

Quote:

$2.00 Cable Modem Rental
Mine went from $5 a month to $11. That was the month I cut the cable.

Quote:
$10.00 Two additional TVs set top boxes
You should get a cheap Roku and get rid of at least one of those. I KNOW you've been wanting to. With a Roku you can download the Comcast XFinity app and access all your channels that way with no monthly fee. You can get one on Ebay for $25. It will pay for itself in 3 months.

And here's the kicker: it's actually pretty good. Well, I can speak directly for Comcast but I had Spectrum and the app on the Roku, not even kidding, imo WAS BETTER THEN THE CABLE BOX.

This no doubt would be a great way to introduce your parents to the Roku world.

Win win. DO IT.

Quote:

It can be. Sometimes it is a reasonable surcharge.
No. No it's not ever. You are paying for internet already. Why must you pay...to use that same internet for a phone call? It doesn't make ANY sense. "OK we are going to allow you to use the thing... that you pay for.... to use our special modem... that you also pay for.... to make a phone call".

Unless your 80 years old and refuse to get a cell phone, it makes no sense. And even then, as Mark said, there are dirt cheap options out there.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
That price is good for one more month, so we will see.

Quote:
I'm expecting a big jump in equipment lease rates. But at $2 you could rent forever.

Quote:
You should get a cheap Roku and get rid of at least one of those. I KNOW you've been wanting to. With a Roku you can download the Comcast XFinity app and access all your channels that way with no monthly fee. You can get one on Ebay for $25. It will pay for itself in 3 months.

And here's the kicker: it's actually pretty good. Well, I can speak directly for Comcast but I had Spectrum and the app on the Roku, not even kidding, imo WAS BETTER THEN THE CABLE BOX
I have two Rokus. COMCAST is 8 miles from me. I have a different company, RCN, but they take a lot of their pricing cues from COMCAST. Unfortuntely they don't have an app.

Quote:
No. No it's not ever. You are paying for internet already. Why must you pay...to use that same internet for a phone call? It doesn't make ANY sense. "OK we are going to allow you to use the thing... that you pay for.... to use our special modem... that you also pay for.... to make a phone call".

Unless your 80 years old and refuse to get a cell phone, it makes no sense. And even then, as Mark said, there are dirt cheap options out there.
My parents are in their 80's and they only use cell phones in case of an emergency. They won't carry them around the home. They have 18 handsets hooked up to the Cable Voip, and I canNOT guarantee that the commercial VOIP products will drive that many phones.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:27 AM

18. Whoa. How big is your house? No, Ooma won't support that many... or will but that will get expensive.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
18. Whoa. How big is your house? No, Ooma won't support that many... or will but that will get expensive.
If they’re analog handsets it’s just one adapter, no? That feeds the lines in the house.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:

And here's the kicker: it's actually pretty good. Well, I can speak directly for Comcast but I had Spectrum and the app on the Roku, not even kidding, imo WAS BETTER THEN THE CABLE BOX.

This no doubt would be a great way to introduce your parents to the Roku world.

Win win. DO IT.

One thing to keep in mind with Roku or other streaming video - unless explicitly stated, it counts towards a monthly bandwidth cap if one applies. While it’s usually 1TB, a stream usually varies from 1GB to 3GB an hour. Doubt it would create a problem in this case but FYI.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If they’re analog handsets it’s just one adapter, no? That feeds the lines in the house.

Before you could purchase your own phones, Bell would provide phones with actual gongs. There was enough current in the phone lines to ring 5 phones throughout the house. One Ring Equivalence Number is REN as an impedance of 7000Ω at 20Hz (type A ringer), or 8000Ω from 15 Hz to 68 Hz (type B ringer).

Incoming calls do not ring or ring very briefly: Ooma forums

In 1950 it would probably thought that more than 5 handsets in any home (including this one that is about 9000 square feet under roof).

A more practical solution might be to purchase a $249.65 : Eight Handset Connect to Cellâ„¢ Phone System with Cordless Headset. That would allow you to plug in the both the VOIP phone and the cellular phone when at home and answer it throughout the house. Although it only has 8 handsets instead of 18, in theory you could use the headset in the basement which would cover portions of the home that you are not normally walking in

The advantage of running your cell phone through this system, is that cell phones often don't work in a portion of the house with a weak signal. You could use the handset system with just cell phone even if you disconnect the VOIP phone.

====
In my case my mother is age 83 and she won't give up phones that are up to three decades old. It's easier just to pay the cable company about $14 a month.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:17 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I remember running into insufficient phone line current back in the 1980s. Some phones had parasite loads like lights and overwhelmed with the phone company supplied. The solution was a powered multitap splitter box that had a power supply (and amplifier circuit, IIRC) for about $90. I'm not sure those are even still available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet