Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 05:39 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I feel the Cypherpunks who want to free humanity through encryption have the right idea, just hope something can be created before it is too late.
We actually have all the encryption we will ever need (algorithms and protocols, not applications) but if a camera photographs you getting out of your car, and your license plate a dozen times, it is pretty obvious who the picture is of, so that it can be added to their database. And now they are slowly mandating that all cars (in addition to your cell phone, in case you leave the cell phone behind) be 'on the Net' so that they will always know where you are and what you are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 06:23 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Your search terms, your email, your photos, your payments history, your connections on Facebook, LinkedIn, Ancestry, 23andMe, Twitter, etc., etc.
Keep e'm off base and guessing, that's what I say....

Throw in a couple of controversial searches and see if someone comes knocking at your door...

Additionally....

A few Real Estate sites in China and lessons in Mandarin on Youtube.
Search major purchase products completely opposite of anything you would be inclined to buy.
Job openings in Uganda and Gibraltar...

You get the idea....

Old 03-29-2019, 06:13 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,604,262 times
Here is an example of a company that sells your phone location data, combined with other information...

https://thasosgroup.com/

Now imagine what the NSA can do correlating everything together.

Before Snowden it was considered tin-foil hat crazy to think everything was being recorded and correlated, but it can’t be denied now.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:47 AM

The NSA isn't worried about where you are, or what you are doing,
unless you are one of the less than 1% that have given them
reason to be interested in you.

But, your insurance company, employer, and some drug gang that
has decided to either blackmail or kidnap you might be interested.
(Something like 6% of us are lucrative targets, if they can get the data.)

Old 03-30-2019, 12:34 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
We actually have all the encryption we will ever need (algorithms and protocols, not applications) but if a camera photographs you getting out of your car, and your license plate a dozen times, it is pretty obvious who the picture is of, so that it can be added to their database. And now they are slowly mandating that all cars (in addition to your cell phone, in case you leave the cell phone behind) be 'on the Net' so that they will always know where you are and what you are doing.
Who is "they"?

I do not doubt at all that the kind of surveillance discussed in this thread is being done, but statements like the above are pretty useless unless they have specifics. WHO are the "they" that "mandate" that "all cars ... be 'on the Net'" -- and what does that even mean? (And, of course, what is your source?)

Old 03-30-2019, 04:46 PM

LoL.

Quote:
...'on the Net'" -- and what does that even mean?...
(if you don't already know what it means,
you won't understand, no matter how I
explain it to you)

(look at my "status" line, under my name)

Last edited by TRex2; 03-30-2019 at 05:01 PM..

Old 03-31-2019, 05:24 AM

The facial data is also being used to teach AI software to generate realistic faces.

Can you recognize a generated face?

Which Face is Real?

(the generated faces generally look great, other clues in the generated photos give it away)

The there is also the concept of “deep fakes”, videos with one face replaced with another, generally talked about for generating fake news. Be careful googling this topic, many NSFW examples and malware sites.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/deep-fak...cy-and-privacy

An earlier post mentioned companies asking for voice samples. It only takes about a minute of talking for software to be able to realistically copy your voice.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-into-thinking

https://lyrebird.ai

Old 03-31-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
The NSA isn't worried about where you are, or what you are doing,
unless you are one of the less than 1% that have given them
reason to be interested in you.

But, your insurance company, employer, and some drug gang that
has decided to either blackmail or kidnap you might be interested.
(Something like 6% of us are lucrative targets, if they can get the data.)
It’s interesting that once you start recording everything (or at least all the metadata), it is still useful for an after-the-fact analysis. You don’t have to analyze everything in real time, when something does happen that makes you a person of interest, then you can go back in time and discover patterns, locations, connections, etc., and take that as many levels as you need.

Also as has been shown over and over, no one, not even the NSA, is immune from hacking or theft. All this data collection is just dangerous for everyone, it will be leaked eventually.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:57 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Trying again ...

I asked ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Who is "they"?

I do not doubt at all that the kind of surveillance discussed in this thread is being done, but statements like the above are pretty useless unless they have specifics. WHO are the "they" that "mandate" that "all cars ... be 'on the Net'" -- and what does that even mean? (And, of course, what is your source?)
So I was specifically asking what it means to say that "they" (?) "mandate" that cars be "on the 'Net." (My best guess from reading this thread is that, A picture of my car's plates is somewhere on the Internet, required (how?) by someone (who?)? But that wasn't too clear or enlightening, hence my questions.)

And TRex2 responded ...

Quote:
LoL.

(if you don't already know what it means,
you won't understand, no matter how I
explain it to you)

(look at my "status" line, under my name)
Um, your "status" line says "senior member" ... OK. (Mine said the same thing until I changed it to something a bit more creative ...)

My questions were serious so I'm not sure why you answered the way you did (which was no answer at all). So again, please: I do not doubt at all that the kind of surveillance discussed in this thread is being done, but statements like the above are pretty useless unless they have specifics. WHO are the "they" that "mandate" that "all cars ... be 'on the Net'" -- and what does that even mean? (And, of course, what is your source?)

Old 03-31-2019, 10:39 AM

I won't bother with the they, at this time,
but maybe there is a glimmer of hope
that the what might sink in.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2014/0..._payments.html

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ur-every-move/

And just a note that both of these articles are five years ago.

My "Status" line says:
"Concerned about those who take the Blue Pill"

Yours is turned off, so you might not see mine.
(Yours would say:
I swear my cats are smarter than many people
if it were on.)

Last edited by TRex2; 03-31-2019 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet