Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 05:22 PM

15,108 posts, read 27,560,213 times

Advertisements

I've had email from them since forever, LOL - makes me crazy now that they are pushing so much junk (I look at cookies and they add Yahoo, some video thing, etc.) - I just don't want to change my email. Why do companies push all kinds of advertising, etc.? I don't want to see a video of some weird thing start running just so I can get past it to sign in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 08:15 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,614,815 times
I’ve also used AOL e-mail forever. I signed on with them when they were Mac only and required your email to be your first name followed by a number @aol.com. I was the 13th person apparently with my first name to sign up. I haven’t noticed any change in advertising on my accounts. One of them gets more than another but that’s because one name gets used for on line shopping, forums, etc. and the other is only for family, friends and personal business.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 AM

43,030 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I've had email from them since forever, LOL - makes me crazy now that they are pushing so much junk (I look at cookies and they add Yahoo, some video thing, etc.) - I just don't want to change my email. Why do companies push all kinds of advertising, etc.? I don't want to see a video of some weird thing start running just so I can get past it to sign in.
Selling ads is how they pay the bills.

How much would you pay, or do you already pay, for ad-free email?

Old 05-16-2019, 09:40 AM

61,119 posts, read 85,934,275 times
OMG... AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo, ISP, Net Zero etc. are such mockable email addresses. Lol!
Nowadays, people are stereotyped by their email addresses...
Frequent spam from Hotmail, AOL and Yahoo! accounts doesn't boost credibility with these domains, either.
My oldest email from Gmail is from 2004. At that time I got the Gmail by... invitation, as a beta tester. Who remembers that??

Spoiler

Old 05-16-2019, 10:17 AM

4,815 posts, read 4,718,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Selling ads is how they pay the bills.

How much would you pay, or do you already pay, for ad-free email?

I use Thunderbird, a free email program, and see no ads (unless they are in an email).

Old 05-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I use Thunderbird, a free email program, and see no ads (unless they are in an email).
I use Thunderbird too but I assumed it was just an e-mail client. It downloads all my separate email accounts into itself and stores them locally on my computer. What does your email address say after the “@“ ?

Old 05-16-2019, 03:53 PM

15,108 posts, read 27,560,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I'm not familiar with that. I did also have a Verizon email but they discontinued email (even though that's who I have internet through).

Old 05-17-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm not familiar with that. I did also have a Verizon email but they discontinued email (even though that's who I have internet through).
I like it because it gives you the option of storing your emails on your own hard drive. If I wasn’t using it, I would have lost all my e-mail history on my old Verizon address when we switched services from Verizon to Xfinity. Thunderbird is from the Mozilla group (think FireFox) but I do not think it is a domain of its own, just a client but others may correct me if I’m wrong about that.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:41 AM

16,455 posts, read 19,476,825 times
Why do you need all your old email, hoarder?
Print what you need, trash the rest.
I run close to zero in my email.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Why do you need all your old email, hoarder?
Print what you need, trash the rest.
I run close to zero in my email.
Because I have a lot of old business transactions that I do not want to delete yet. Besides, terabyte drives are dirt cheap these days. I trash stuff daily in my current e-mail, little reason to save anything from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet