Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 11:02 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times

Advertisements

I have a 200 G bandwidth cap. Is there any way to lower the resolution on Roku to save data? I've done the secret menu thingy, and set it at 1.5 mbps, but it still streams at 720. Any way to get it to play at 480 like you can with youtube? I have the Roku Express, but I don't use it much because it sucks up so much data. Also, can you lower the resolution on youtube tv the same as you can on regular youtube? I have regular youtube set at 480, but I read somewhere that you can't lower the resolution on the youtube tv subscription service.

Here's what I already tried with Roku:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 03:20 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
The satellite service I use does the downconversion automatically. I don't think the old Roku hacks to reduce bandwidth work anymore.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I have a 200 G bandwidth cap. Is there any way to lower the resolution on Roku to save data? I've done the secret menu thingy, and set it at 1.5 mbps, but it still streams at 720.

The only thing that is relative to the bandwidth usage is 1.5Mbps, it's the same data rate at 720 or 480. Unless the video quality is suffering at 720 it's non issue at least as far as the data rate is concerned.

With video as you lower the data rate at some point the quality of the video is going to be noticeably reduced with macoblocking and other issues. Especially during fast action/blinking lights etc. That is where you would reduce the resolution, the detail of the video is reduced but the quality issues related mostly to macroblocking are gone.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:06 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times
Thanks for the info coalman. I didn't know that 1.5 mbps was the same rate at 720 and 480. Today I talked to my internet provider (I have to use a local WISP as I live out in the country back in on a dirt road). He told me since I've been a long time customer, that I could use up to 400G with no cost increase or throttling, so I can do a fair amount of streaming with that much data allowance.

I can't get over the air reception either, dangit. Antenna Web said forget it sistah when I plugged in my address. I'm in a valley next to high mountains. So I pay Directv $150/mo for a bunch of channels I never watch. Ugh

Youtube Tv looks like a decent subscription service so I might give it a try.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info coalman. I didn't know that 1.5 mbps......

There is two different units of measurement here, bits and bytes. Data rates are typically given using bits, e.g. 1.5Mbps. You can tell it's bits because of the small b. If they are using bytes the b is capitalized and it would be MBps or sometimes it might be displayed as MB/s, a browser typically uses this.

Roughly speaking you are going to use less than 1 GB per hour at 1.5Gbps. with 400 GB cap that is 400 hours of viewing. That is really rough estimate and overestimated.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-25-2019 at 04:18 AM..

Old 05-25-2019, 06:47 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info coalman. I didn't know that 1.5 mbps was the same rate at 720 and 480. Today I talked to my internet provider (I have to use a local WISP as I live out in the country back in on a dirt road). He told me since I've been a long time customer, that I could use up to 400G with no cost increase or throttling, so I can do a fair amount of streaming with that much data allowance.

I can't get over the air reception either, dangit. Antenna Web said forget it sistah when I plugged in my address. I'm in a valley next to high mountains. So I pay Directv $150/mo for a bunch of channels I never watch. Ugh

Youtube Tv looks like a decent subscription service so I might give it a try.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:26 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
You control bandwidth through the apps (if they have it, not the Roku). For instance:

NetFlix (log into online account): Account, My Profile, Playback Settings. Select:

Auto
Low: 0.3 GB/hr
Med: 0.7 GB/hr
High: 3 GB/hr for HD, 7 GB/hr for UHD

Sling: Settings, Connection. Select:

Best Quality: No Limit
High Quality: 2.8 Mb/s
Med Quality: 1.2 MB/s
Low Quality: 0.8 MB/s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet