U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-01-2019, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Richmond Virginia
52 posts, read 34,672 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

I currently have an internet plan through a big name service provider where I am located. I'm not really happy with the speed I receive. Sometime it affects the quality of the picture on the HDTV which isn't a big deal because it only lasts a few seconds. However, when it comes to gaming it occurs quite frequently. I can't deal with the constant lag when playing on the PS4 network through my TV.

Can anyone give me a quick crash course in laymen's terms? Would it be more beneficial for me to buy my own router/modem or whatever I need to get in order to get better speed and have less of a ping time?

My current speed test on computer indicates a download speed of 200+ and an upload speed of 10+ Mbps.

On my PS4 console it indicates a download speed of 23 + and an upload speed of 4+ Mbps.

Also, how can these be so different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2019, 05:30 PM
 
7,368 posts, read 3,995,489 times
Reputation: 7003
I’m assuming this is a cable provider, right? Their modem wouldn’t likely be any slower than one you buy yourself. How many concurrent devices do you have and did you measure the computer and PS4 at around the same time? Are both wireless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2019, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
11,392 posts, read 17,922,671 times
Reputation: 29037
How far is the TV from the router? Are there walls and furniture in the way? I have significantly lower speeds in my living room than in the office where all the equipment is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2019, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Richmond Virginia
52 posts, read 34,672 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I’m assuming this is a cable provider, right? Their modem wouldn’t likely be any slower than one you buy yourself. How many concurrent devices do you have and did you measure the computer and PS4 at around the same time? Are both wireless?
We have a total of 5 wireless devices: 2 cell phones, one smart TV, one computer, and one PS4 system. Yes, measured within a minute or two. Everything is wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
How far is the TV from the router? Are there walls and furniture in the way? I have significantly lower speeds in my living room than in the office where all the equipment is.
The Smart TV is about 12 ft from the router located in bedroom 1. The PS4 is about 20 ft from the router located in bedroom 2. PS4 operates on a non-smart TV that doesn't connect to the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2019, 05:52 AM
 
1 posts, read 14 times
Reputation: 10
I don't know much about this. Sometimes i do face the same issue. You may refer router guide. It might help you in resolving your issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:20 PM
 
7,368 posts, read 3,995,489 times
Reputation: 7003
It’s possible - just possible - that you have wireless interference on the 2.4 band that’s causing slowdowns or conflicts.

A PS4 at 20 feet shouldn’t be slowed down. And should ideally be using the 5GHz band.

5 wireless devices is nothing to a router. At this moment I have 52 wired and wireless devices on my network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Richmond Virginia
52 posts, read 34,672 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It’s possible - just possible - that you have wireless interference on the 2.4 band that’s causing slowdowns or conflicts.

A PS4 at 20 feet shouldn’t be slowed down. And should ideally be using the 5GHz band.

5 wireless devices is nothing to a router. At this moment I have 52 wired and wireless devices on my network.
So do you have any suggestions? Or should I just move the PS4 to the same room as the router and plug it in with ethernet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:23 PM
 
7,368 posts, read 3,995,489 times
Reputation: 7003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnD View Post
So do you have any suggestions? Or should I just move the PS4 to the same room as the router and plug it in with ethernet?
Ethernet is always better, at least as a first step. Can you run a cable to it in its existing room as a test?

If you’re getting slowdowns while wired then it points to a problem with your provider - or possibly a modem/router problem. You should get full speed when connected via Ethernet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top