U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM

1,376 posts, read 5,135,630 times

Advertisements

looking for people with experience & knowledge of verizon Broadband serviceon a portable laptop. Is it time to drop my cable modem and go wirelees all the time ??

Data rates, drop outs etc... ?? BroadbandAccess service:

• Standard Type II card slot
Typically found on most Windows notebooks
• ExpressCard®/34 card slot
Found on some newer Windows and Mac notebooks
• Universal Serial Bus (USB)

All recommendations welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,031,555 times
Have the ExpressCard... and its a lifesaver.... although I'm not sure I'd replace a broadband modem (cable/FiOS what have ya) unless you have 'lite' surfing needs.

Bandwidth varies based on proximity to the tower. I've seen it as high as just over 1 mbps (at a dunkin donuts of all places). But its typically around half that. I usually use it at Airports while waiting for my flight.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM

5,112 posts, read 12,181,621 times
i have sprint based mobile broadband. its fine, but dsl/cable much better. just like cellhpones you'll get random reception problems for no reason at all

Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 PM

73 posts, read 213,005 times
I have had a PCMCIA wireless card from Verizon for 3 years. Average speed is about 700Kpbs depending on location (1x or EvDO) and network traffic.

It works well for getting work done but I would not necessarily use it as a replacement for home service.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:17 PM

779 posts, read 1,822,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1025 View Post
I have had a PCMCIA wireless card from Verizon for 3 years. Average speed is about 700Kpbs depending on location (1x or EvDO) and network traffic.

It works well for getting work done but I would not necessarily use it as a replacement for home service.
I second this. Public wireless broadband can"t replace the speed we get from cable;DSL; ISDN ( depends on provider) and or Fios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet