U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM

806 posts, read 1,829,053 times
Default Ebay - how long is too long?

Bought an item on Ebay for the first time. How long should I expect to wait before the item is shipped? Paypal payment was sent right after I won the auction. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 04:18 PM

6,925 posts, read 8,598,835 times
I have found lately that very few sellers will notify you when they ship, if your item hasn't arrived in 7 days or so then I would contact them. I bought 4 items in the last 2 months and got no ship notification.

Last edited by NHDave; 05-07-2008 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,479 posts, read 20,806,948 times
I usually ship the next business day when I make a sale. Some sellers do all of their shipping once a week, probably because they are a long way from the post office or UPS Store. Those that don't ship right away should state that in their listings, but not all of them do.

Being a patient person, I would wait a week before prodding the seller through eBay's question feature, but you would be within your rights to ask after 2-3 days.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 PM

19,386 posts, read 30,242,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Bought an item on Ebay for the first time. How long should I expect to wait before the item is shipped? Paypal payment was sent right after I won the auction. TIA.
I pay immediately, sometimes within seconds of auction ending.
No games. No fooling around.
I expect shipment to be made within 72 hours.

If I do not have notification of shipment within 48 to 72 hours, I send a message asking, "Has my item shipped? When can I expect to receive it?"

A week to ship is too long.
Sellers know they will be shipping it when they put it up for sale, and they determine when their auction ends.
That is enough notice for them to be ready to ship except for adding the address.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:25 AM

35,342 posts, read 42,215,632 times
If I have not received an item in 5 days, I start worrying and send an email. If I don't get a reply back w/in 24 hours, I send another email and then consider notifying PayPal.

I have been buying on Ebay since the late 90s, and have only gotten into a dispute w/ unshipped goods on one occasion. People may be slow but 99.9% are not in the business to rip us off. However, things do get lost and I have had to track packages that were delivered to the wrong address, so I worry and start checking on things at 5 days.

And I agree - I am rarely getting notification from sellers about shipping these days.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,345,889 times
I've sold a few items using Paypal but not on Ebay and until I did this, I had NO IDEA how long it took for Paypal to verify and send the funds! The purchaser paid by check through Paypal and it took a total of 8 business days for me to actually get the money. Paypal recommended that I NOT send the item until the funds transfer was entirely complete and, since it was a rather expensive item, I thought that was wise. I kept in touch with the purchaser via email, though, and explained the situation.

This may be why some sellers don't ship as fast as others. You may pay "instantly" via Paypal but the seller doesn't necessarily get the money fast!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 PM

7,574 posts, read 7,029,914 times
When you pay through Paypal, it will let you and the seller know if the payment is an instant transfer or a pending check, along with the date of clearance. If it is pending, I let the buyer know that the item will be shipped the day of clearance, and if an instant transfer, immediately. I also print up my shipping labels through Ebay and this sends a notification to the buyer that the shipping label has been processed, along with a tracking #.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:57 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,938,639 times
Most sellers will ship asap if item is paid for with money order or bank cashiers check or electronic fund transfer through paypal. If a personal check is used almost all sellers wait 8 to 10 days for the check to clear.
I have sold several items on ebay and always try to ship within 48 hours or less. I always notify the buyer when the item is shipped. I stopped accepting personal checks due to problems with them in the past and I inform bidders they will not be accepted.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:16 PM

35,342 posts, read 42,215,632 times
Muffinman - have you gotten your shipment or more info about it? Just wondering how things turned out . . .

Old 05-10-2008, 01:46 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,071,398 times
I have gotten most of my items within 3-5 days, and I have always received a shipping notification by e-mail. The longest one took 7 days but that was an exception. I pay through Paypal linked to a CC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet