U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 06:28 PM

6,196 posts, read 4,962,888 times

Advertisements

My first spam hit today. I have listed some land for sale on craigslist in a couple different states and 24 hours later I got em inquiry. I answer and not thinking about it. I told them to call and included my phone number. Well no call yet but I started getting abunch of ems all exactly the same but different em address all for gmail. Made me mad, and I reported it to the postmaster, told to immediatly delete listing and change my pass words, ect. Also told to use caller ID and when I was contacted to call the law. Okay, so this upsets me because I spend alot of time on the web now and this guy told me how URGENT it was to change passwords, ect. Well after it hit my email it was several hours till I changed it and now should I worry about personal info that may or may not have been hacked into??? Anyone have cyber info or has this happened to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 06:33 PM

22,559 posts, read 47,916,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
My first spam hit today. I have listed some land for sale on craigslist in a couple different states and 24 hours later I got em inquiry. I answer and not thinking about it. I told them to call and included my phone number. Well no call yet but I started getting abunch of ems all exactly the same but different em address all for gmail. Made me mad, and I reported it to the postmaster, told to immediatly delete listing and change my pass words, ect. Also told to use caller ID and when I was contacted to call the law. Okay, so this upsets me because I spend alot of time on the web now and this guy told me how URGENT it was to change passwords, ect. Well after it hit my email it was several hours till I changed it and now should I worry about personal info that may or may not have been hacked into??? Anyone have cyber info or has this happened to you?
If you have a spyware scanner, you should run it. And you should always have spyware and virus protection. Always.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:09 PM

2,536 posts, read 6,521,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
This is why I like my ISP provider,if I recieve spam I forward it as attachment to support,end of problem.It will go to ISP spam file and when I check spam just 2 clicks and all gone.I, as a rule do not receive but one or two a week.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:08 PM

5,843 posts, read 9,010,266 times
Sometimes when I run ads on CL I can thell that the reply is just too generic. And the replies that come in right away are more likely to be from a bot.

I would say the same for freecycle but I think there may be some people who just have a compulsion to answer every offer. Usually I offer 3 very different items at a time and if someone says they can use all of them I am suspicious.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:20 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,749,578 times
I don't understand the password connection to this problem. Maybe change your password for craigslist, but I don't think anyone has hacked into your computer. They are just sending bulk spam emails to you (sounds like). The people that do hack into websites can see exactly what you are typing, so changing your password won't help. (A supervisor at work learned how they do this at a meeting recently).

Old 05-25-2008, 09:21 PM

See that's the weird thing I DO have spyware and it is always on. And on my email it runs as soon as I sign on and sometimes it stalls everything which use to agg. me till now. I admit I am not the savvey when it comes to computers but I am learning, in my home the laptop is "moms toy" but my email is filtered and I don't understand how this has happened, it is to say the lease annoying!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 09:31 PM

NJ- the guy at the servers postmaster told me to change my password and delete my list on cl, he went in an looked at my account and then came right back and said it was urgent that I do these thing as soon as I hung with him. Maybe he was on a cyber high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet