Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 AM

115 posts, read 366,371 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what size a photo should be when uploaded from a digital camera for optimum viewing on my computer (22" Wide Screen) and to be uploaded onto a forum or emailed? I use IrfanView to resize photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Hollow View Post
Can anyone tell me what size a photo should be when uploaded from a digital camera for optimum viewing on my computer (22" Wide Screen) and to be uploaded onto a forum or emailed? I use IrfanView to resize photos.
What screen resolution is your desktop? Image resolution is typically given in pixels horizontally and vertically (e.g., 1024x768), but desktops can range from 640x480 all the way to 2048x1536 or even higher.

Even a lowly 3.3 megapixel camera like my old Casio QV3000EX is capable of taking pictures which are 2048x1526. The difference is in the details as you zoom in further, though. I tend to send photos which are smaller in size just to save space, and usually 800x600 is fine for informal snapshots. Not for wallpaper, though. That depends on you and your screen.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
What screen resolution is your desktop? Image resolution is typically given in pixels horizontally and vertically (e.g., 1024x768), but desktops can range from 640x480 all the way to 2048x1536 or even higher.

Even a lowly 3.3 megapixel camera like my old Casio QV3000EX is capable of taking pictures which are 2048x1526. The difference is in the details as you zoom in further, though. I tend to send photos which are smaller in size just to save space, and usually 800x600 is fine for informal snapshots. Not for wallpaper, though. That depends on you and your screen.
I'm not sure how to tell what my resolution is? This little Samsung is 8.1 mp. though! The close up photos I take for eBay come out blury, but the greater distance photos come out great! I've never had these types of problems with an SLR camera. When I go into Irfan View and resize the photos to 50% of the original size, close out and re-enter, the photos are back to super size again. From the camera, I resize them to 800x600 and they stay put. I don't have to resize them again and again. What's the problem?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how to tell what my resolution is?
If you're using Windows, right-clock anywhere on your desktop and select properties from the menu, then select the Settings tab. That might tell you, but it may vary depending on the version of Windows and the video card you have. I only run Win95 OSR2, Win 2000, and Win XP Pro here (no Vista).

Quote:
This little Samsung is 8.1 mp. though! The close up photos I take for eBay come out blury, but the greater distance photos come out great! I've never had these types of problems with an SLR camera. When I go into Irfan View and resize the photos to 50% of the original size, close out and re-enter, the photos are back to super size again. From the camera, I resize them to 800x600 and they stay put. I don't have to resize them again and again. What's the problem?
How precisely are you "resizing" the photos in IrfanView? Using the Image menu and then Resize/Resample should allow you to permanently resize images (be careful, though, since you might overwrite your originals), but also remember to save the end results. This is in IrfanView 3.99.

The Image Information icon (red circle around a blue lower-case i) should tell you the actual resolution of the image you're looking at and not the displayed size.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
If you're using Windows, right-clock anywhere on your desktop and select properties from the menu, then select the Settings tab. That might tell you, but it may vary depending on the version of Windows and the video card you have. I only run Win95 OSR2, Win 2000, and Win XP Pro here (no Vista).

How precisely are you "resizing" the photos in IrfanView? Using the Image menu and then Resize/Resample should allow you to permanently resize images (be careful, though, since you might overwrite your originals), but also remember to save the end results. This is in IrfanView 3.99.

The Image Information icon (red circle around a blue lower-case i) should tell you the actual resolution of the image you're looking at and not the displayed size.
I'm running Windows 2000 Pro. The settings say 1024 by 768 for my monitor. Where do I find the Image Information Icon? Also, the photo extension in IrfanView (jpg) doesn't seem to fit well with Photobucket, although every change I make still generates an "Invalid file type Error" in Photobucket.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,570 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how to tell what my resolution is? This little Samsung is 8.1 mp. though! The close up photos I take for eBay come out blury, but the greater distance photos come out great! I've never had these types of problems with an SLR camera. When I go into Irfan View and resize the photos to 50% of the original size, close out and re-enter, the photos are back to super size again. From the camera, I resize them to 800x600 and they stay put. I don't have to resize them again and again. What's the problem?
Most point and shoot cameras have a minimum distance to subject. Normally around 3 feet. Try backing away and then zoom in a bit. My camera lets me press the shutter half way to pre focus and then complete the press to take the photo, works well for action shots, and helps set the camera so you don't have to hold so still so long.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,570 times
Quote:
I'm running Windows 2000 Pro. The settings say 1024 by 768 for my monitor. Where do I find the Image Information Icon? Also, the photo extension in IrfanView (jpg) doesn't seem to fit well with Photobucket, although every change I make still generates an "Invalid file type Error" in Photobucket.
Invalid file type normally means what you save the photo as is not an accepted type, I would suspect your software is changing the (jpg) to something else. Maybe you have a saveas command and can specify the file type there and try that. Most the photos I take are larger than the standard for photobucked or imageshack. The resize them for easier viewing but the original is still available.

Hoe this helps.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Invalid file type normally means what you save the photo as is not an accepted type, I would suspect your software is changing the (jpg) to something else. Maybe you have a saveas command and can specify the file type there and try that. Most the photos I take are larger than the standard for photobucked or imageshack. The resize them for easier viewing but the original is still available.

Hoe this helps.
Thanks once again! I will play with it some more today and try to resolve this! After spending all day yesterday on just this one issue, I'm nearly spent but will fight through it today with hopes of success. Thanks also for the camera tip. I've not used a point and shoot since the 60's and felt like a complete idiot when faced with such a minor inconvience. I'll never give up my SLR camera totally for digital!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post

Hoe this helps.
The short of it is I've figured it out after two days. The photo had to be copied and saved and then resized again. Then I renamed it with the same extension (jpg) and photobucket uploaded it without a hitch. Don't ask me??

Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I'm running Windows 2000 Pro. The settings say 1024 by 768 for my monitor. Where do I find the Image Information Icon?
Sorry... On the IrfanView toolbar:

Quote:
Also, the photo extension in IrfanView (jpg) doesn't seem to fit well with Photobucket, although every change I make still generates an "Invalid file type Error" in Photobucket.
Unfortunately, I know nothing at all about PhotoBucket or the requirements or assumptions it makes about image files.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet