U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 AM

117 posts, read 32,196 times
Default My TinyXS Linux Distribution - 692MB on CDROM

Bittorrent download links:

TinyMe ISO CDROM image (200MB) --- torrent file ::: Peers
TinyXS ISO CDROM image (692MB) --- torrent file ::: Peers

Some of you Linux fans know that there are two main Linux Desktop Windows Managers (WM) and several other popular specialized WMs. Of the major WMs, KDE and Gnome are the best known and most full featured. OTOH, both KDE and GNOME are much larger and less efficient than more limited WMs like xFCE, Fluxbox, IceWM, etc.

While nothing will equal the bloated inefficiency of Windows, KDE and GNOME have grown more "MS Windows-like" and mini-bloat has taken its toll.

My favorite mainstream Linux Distribution is PCLinuxOS (originally based on Mandriva/Mandrake).

Naturally, I wanted to try a few PCLinuxOS variant remasters, including MiniMe (which I did not like much) and TinyMe (which I really like.)

The TinyMe 2008.0 FINAL ISO file was just released last month. The ISO file is under 200MB. The installed disk usage size is about 700MB. They pack an amazing amount of useful programs in that 200MB including Abiword word processing, Opera web browser, Transmission bittorrent program, a basic Winamp-clone music player, an Email program, CD/DVD burner software, a photo viewer, a PDF file viewer, a CD song ripper, and lots of other programs and utilities.

TinyMe uses the Openbox WM. It is much smaller than almost all other Linux WMs. On the downside, it is certainly not as full-featured and convenient as the others. Adding or changing Desktop links/icons requires patience - no such thing as "drag and drop" here.

Of course, for those casual PC users who just want a relatively fixed amount of good, useful software, this may work just fine. In fact, it may cause fewer problems. TinyMe is a very useful, good-looking Linux for "mod-it-then-set-it-and-forget it" usage.

Like PCLinuxOS, for somewhat more advanced Linux users, TinyMe has the ability to "remaster" itself to make a new Linux distribution, often with different goals than the original.

I made my own remaster which I designated as TinyXS Linux. My excess remaster includes a lot of additional software, more ease-of-use features and customization. Some of the more significant software added includes OpenOffice, Firefox 3 web browser with Google toolbar, Flash plugin, mplayer/smplayer plugin, Adobe Acrobat reader/plugin, Wine "windows emulator", Deluge bittorrent software, Pidgin Instant Messenger, HP print support

I am not qualified to make detailed or complicated changes in the way that PCLinuxOS was transformed into TinyMe. However, I am fairly comfortable with swapping out or adding various Linux software packages. Even so, I have done very little testing of much of the software added to my TinyXS Linux. I would hope that someone else better qualified "under-the-hood" could tweak my remaster and fix problems they may find.

Last edited by freeXSvegas; 07-02-2008 at 12:09 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 AM

When installed to a hard drive partition, the complete TinyXS package including all applications is less than 2.5GB on disk.

I installed TinyXS as a backup OS for a friend who had occasional Windows lockups. I created a 7GB partition on her PC's hard drive to hold the new TinyXS installation. Once installed, TinyXS runs much faster than Windows (any version), works well with older computers, and unlike Windows, you never really need to worry about viruses on your PC.

After adding Mozilla Thunderbird email software (an easy process using Synaptic package manager) to replace Microsoft's Outlook Express (a major virus magnet), she now prefers to use TinyXS instead of Windows for everything except some commercial programs like QuickBooks which don't run under Linux (even with the Wine "windows emulator"). When her PCs boots up, a simple startup menu allows her to choose to run TinyXS Linux or her used-to-be-normal MS Windows.

For direct download, go here: TinyXS Linux ISO file (broken link)

For bittorrent download (preferred): TinyXS torrent file

Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 AM

3,761 posts, read 5,367,786 times
I have two partitions, one with Windows and the other with Linux (Ubuntu). Would you recommend TinyXS as opposed to Ubuntu?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I have two partitions, one with Windows and the other with Linux (Ubuntu). Would you recommend TinyXS as opposed to Ubuntu?
It depends upon your Linux goals, level of comfort/experience with Linux, and satisfaction with Ubuntu. For a full-featured Linux, my preference is for PCLinuxOS (PCLOS) instead of Ubuntu.

TinyMe/TinyXS are based on PCLinuxOS minus the KDE windows manager and many application programs. The goals for TinyMe were speed, very small size, and ability to work very well on older computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDulcimer (TinyMe developer)

TinyMe is not intended for the typical Windows user. It is better suited for the Linux user with some experience.
TinyMe/TinyXS use the Openbox windows manager (WM) instead of the more common KDE or Gnome. The major downside of not using KDE or Gnome windows managers is that changing your desktop links and icons is more difficult and not always intuitive. Other than that, I prefer TinyXS, but, obviously, I am biased.

Ubuntu has a much bigger repository base of software programs available. If you are the type of person who downloads new applications frequently, Ubuntu will provide more choices more frequently. For instance, TinyXS uses Open Office 2.3.11 instead of the more recent 2.4 version. My guess is that Ubuntu has already added OO-2.4 to its download repository.

Ubunta also has a much larger user-base so support forums will be much more active and probably more helpful. OTOH, IMO, PCLinuxOS works much better out-of-the-box than Ubuntu so you need less support.

http://tinyme.mypclinuxos.com/forum/index.php

Last edited by freeXSvegas; 07-08-2008 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 12:15 PM

3,761 posts, read 5,367,786 times
Thanks for the information. I must admit I am not a regular user of Linux, but a friend of mine loves Linux and recommended that I try it out. Although I mainly use Windows, I do like having Linux as a backup if Windows crashes for some reason or another, plus I like the security factors of Linux. As I don't use Linux regularly, I thought maybe a smaller version on the other partition would free up more space on Windows. Sorry if I sound a bit amateur (because I am).

Old 07-08-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeXSvegas View Post
Ubuntu will provide more choices more frequently. For instance, TinyXS uses Open Office 2.3.11 instead of the more recent 2.4 version. My guess is that Ubuntu has already added OO-2.4 to its download repository.
I guess I did not give PCLinuxOS / TinyMe package maintainers enough credit. Just a few minutes ago I started up the Linux Synaptic package manager to check for new updates. After clicking on RELOAD and then after that MARK ALL UPGRADES and then APPLY, Synaptic installed a flood of new upgrades including the latest Open Office 2.4.1 Kudos to PCLinuxOS and TinyMe.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:47 AM

I made an updated version of not-so-tiny TinyXS Linux (July 23).

Details, information and torrent download is here:

LinuxTracker .::. Index->Torrent->Details

Old 07-27-2008, 04:15 AM

You now also have an option of downloading the TinyXS CDROM ISO file directly
from an experimental site I'm working on:

New City Vegas - Broadcast Machine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet