U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:29 AM

1,189 posts, read 3,644,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Check out this link about this update problem:

BBC NEWS | Technology | Net address fix foxes web users

I call BS on this:

"A spokesman for Microsoft said PC owners were not contacting it about any problems the update caused."

No one, not one cubicle jockey that works at MS runs ZoneAlarm at home? Yeah right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:43 AM

3,758 posts, read 7,726,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I call BS on this:

"A spokesman for Microsoft said PC owners were not contacting it about any problems the update caused."

No one, not one cubicle jockey that works at MS runs ZoneAlarm at home? Yeah right.
I agree. Yeah, right.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Thumbs up How to fix the MS screwup

Go to Add/Remove Programs and check the box at the top to show updates.

Remove Security Update Windows XP (KB951748)

Restart your PC

Got to Windows Updates (Start>All Programs>at the top of the listing) and click on Custom instead of Express when the web site loads

Allow the Genuine Advantage bit to install

Click Continue to get past the "Yeah it installed" screen

Scroll down past the SP3 notice and click to see Details

Remove the check mork from Security Update Windows XP (KB951748) and place a check mark in "Quit bugging me"

Go ahead and run any remaining updates (if you prefer to)

You now have access to the Internet and the idiots at MS can kiss off.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Go to Add/Remove Programs and check the box at the top to show updates.

Remove Security Update Windows XP (KB951748)

Restart your PC

Got to Windows Updates (Start>All Programs>at the top of the listing) and click on Custom instead of Express when the web site loads

Allow the Genuine Advantage bit to install

Click Continue to get past the "Yeah it installed" screen

Scroll down past the SP3 notice and click to see Details

Remove the check mork from Security Update Windows XP (KB951748) and place a check mark in "Quit bugging me"

Go ahead and run any remaining updates (if you prefer to)

You now have access to the Internet and the idiots at MS can kiss off.
Already done.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM

Default New Version of Zone Alarm

There has been a new version of ZoneAlarm released today that will accomodate the Microsoft security update that was causing the connection to the internet problems. I have downloaded it and installed the security update and everything is working fine.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:59 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,014,597 times
How do I get Windows XP SP3 on CD? - Ask Leo!

How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs and product upgrades, and replace product manuals

I have a couple copies of SP2 on CD for cases where clients have slow internet connections, or none available.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:04 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,014,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I call BS on this:

If its their home computer, Microsoft cares just as little about them as it does anyone else.

With a company that huge, the internal IT and the external IT are two ENTIRELY different departments. And the internal IT guys are usually so swamped that they really don't have the time to yell at the external folks about issues that no one internally is having problems with. Not to mention, unless its a critical issue, the programmers who have to fix the issue aren't going to put it high on their priority list unless it affects companies.

And since most companies don't purchase the ZoneAlarm business versions, and use TrendMicro and other clients... and more importantly since Microsoft believes (rightfully) its a 3rd party software conflict, the burden falls to ZoneAlarm to rewrite their code to work with Microsoft's patch.

Which they did.

And the external IT guys treat everyone who calls them the same.

I'm also going to bet that a large number of MS employees use Windows Live OneCare, as its a decent program and they probably get subscriptions free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or