U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:29 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,013,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have forwarded contact information they have sent me to the CIA office that deals with this topic.
Except they don't deal with these type of things. CIA isn't law enforcement. Not to mention most of these scams cross jurisdictions.. making it very tough to investigate.

Back to your issue - JBrown has it right.. the more you respond, the more spam you will get. Aside from the 419 scams, most spam messages are automated trying to get you to click on a link or what not.... and some are simply trying to validate your address... so by responding, you only confirm that you are in fact a "live" address. Which is then added to the list and sold to other spammers.

Also the more you give out your address (i.e. to onine shopping sites, listservs, groups etc), the more exposed it gets. Many of those places sell your info. The best way to "minimize" spam is to have secondary accounts.... and this is a good way to see for yourself. i.e. I have multiple gmail accounts... and the ones I use for registrations to generic sites are the ones that have the most spam. The two that I use for personal communication have very little....(but they're still there)... and google actually has pretty good spam filter (best in my opinion among the free web based services).

Finally, for sites that want you to register for something you will only need once... try sites like bugmenot.com ... they provide bogus accounts for those occaisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:40 AM

10,593 posts, read 22,693,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Except they don't deal with these type of things. CIA isn't law enforcement. Not to mention most of these scams cross jurisdictions.. making it very tough to investigate.
Actually at the time I reported it, I did so after watching a special, it gave the specific name of the department with the CIA set up to handle these issues. Remember the FBI is designed to deal with domestic things, the CIA things abroad. I spoke with someone at the Tampa office and they gave me a fax number to which I faxed printed out emails.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:46 PM

1,368 posts, read 4,521,886 times
Another important thing, is that when you GET junk e-mail... make sure that you mark it as junk, the more information the spam filters get... the better they are at serving you.

When I first started using gmail to get e-mail from my 3 other accounts, all from private domains... I had like 25 spam a day. After a few months, its dwindled down to 1 spam, and a handful of newsletters from sites that I purchased things from and I like to be informed of the deals.

However, the address I want to use, I don't think will ever recover. It gets a good 500 spam a day, because somehow that entire domain's e-mail directory was publicly listed somewhere (I think this got fixed)... and a spider managed to get a hold of it.

Also, if you're on anything publicly accessible... make sure to take some simple steps to disguise your address from webcrawlers that look for more addresses to spam.

putting thisisme(@t)yahoo!!!, etc works to keep the bots from being able to actually send you spam

Old 08-10-2008, 02:25 AM

126 posts, read 168,276 times
My e-mail is through Comcast and they have a very effective spam filter. I get maybe one a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet