U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:48 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times

Advertisements

Try register.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 10:31 PM

617 posts, read 1,913,209 times
From what I can tell, bluevoda is free but you have to host with VodaHost. I'm not sure I like that.

I checked some info and reviews on it and unless the program has been updated since the reviews were written, bluevoda is all html and no css. That would be a big NO for me right there.

I also read that the free download has only a handful of features. You'll have to pay to get all the features.

I think there are probably better WYSIWYG editors out there. If you'd like to try something that's not quite WYSIWYG but is still a step up from plain old notepad, Arachnophilia is a very nice careware program. I used it many years ago to build my very first site and the program actually helped me to learn html. It's been updated and is now written in java so it's cross platform compatible.

If that isn't what you're looking for, here is a list of freeware editors that you might also like.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:40 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times
I'll take a look after I get home from work. BTW, what is CSS?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 AM

CSS is an acronym for Cascading Style Sheet. It's the way you style a website, from your fonts, colors, etc to the layout.

Here are some sites that you may find helpful in explaining CSS:

What is CSS? - Lesson 1 | Free CSS Tutorial | HTML.net
CSS Introduction

Old 08-22-2008, 12:22 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,488,428 times
Knowing what you intend to do with your site would help us recommend the right software for you. Is it going to be a personal site, or business? Are you planning on posting frequent updates/adding new content, or will it be static (build once, rarely/never change)?

There's a lot of possibilities - some would involve installing software on your PC, others would only require installing software on the web server, and others would/could involve both.

I would recommend against using Joomla, unless you have someone who's going to build your site for you and you'll just be adding articles/pages. Joomla is a very powerful and flexible content management system, but going from nothing to a full-blown site with Joomla is not something I'd recommend to someone who isn't already comfortable with HTML, CSS, webhosting environments in general and Joomla itself.

My guess, based on what you've said so far, is that Wordpress is likely to suit your needs. It's software that runs on the web server itself - there's nothing for you to install on your PC. You can add content/pages easily, without needing to know HTML or CSS, and there's a bazillion free themes/templates available for it. It installs easily - in fact, if your webhost offers you a cPanel interface, then it's likely to be a one (or two) click install.

Give us a little more info about what the purpose/function of the site will be, and we'll be able to help a lot more.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 PM

It's mostly going to be static, though I'm sure I'll be making some updates. I'll have a few ads -- not many -- but enough to pull in a little cash. In the not-too-distant future, I'll be putting my feet in the water of my own business, mostly helping people clean up their computers, though I may be doing some easy stuff like adding RAM or wireless keyboards and mice(?). This little site will tell touch a little on what kind of junk gets on computers and what I use to keep my computer clean. I'll have links to other protective tools as well, and I'll also go into such things as defrag, going to safe mode and other things.

I was thinking about using the site as part of the business, but I haven't decided yet.

I've been trying out Google sites, but I'm not sure how to go about changing the default name to my own domain name.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:43 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,488,428 times
Sounds like Wordpress would probably fit best. It'll run on just about any webhosting package, and is very easy to install.

Home page:
WordPress › Blog Tool and Publishing Platform

Download page:
WordPress › Download

Installation instructions:
Installing WordPress Ā« WordPress Codex

I can do it for you for free, if you'd like, and if you'll trust a stranger on the Internet with your webhosting login. It really is very easy, though.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:50 PM

Before this is over, I may try WordPress as well as the Google site program. On the Google program, it is pretty easy. I already have an addon for FF that lets me do a number of HTML things easily. On the Google one, I can click the HTML button which shows all of the code, and plain type. I just highlight and do my thing. But in the normal writing process, it does all of the break codes. All I need to learn to do is to do things like center the heading and so forth.

I think I'll download WordPress this weekend (my weekend is Mon - Wed) and see what that's all about.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 PM

I have one more question. Is it possible to word wrap the text, so with different sized screens and different resolutions, nobody will have to use a slide bar to read?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:57 PM

You can avoid the side scrollbar on your site by using a fluid layout or a fixed width layout that accommodates most monitors. I've found 970 to work well on both my desktops and laptops.

Word wrap really has nothing to do with laying out a web page.

Also, after you download Wordpress you can't just install it on your home computer. You'll have to install it on your webserver. (I run a local copy of WP for testing but you'd have to install some other stuff to make it work.)

I think you should consider Swagger's very generous offer to set up WP on your web server for free. I think you'll be pleased with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet