U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:43 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times

Advertisements

I've finally gotten around to doing something about gettting a website started. Where I paid for the domain name, it said, "Each domain name must be associated with a minimum of two name servers (primary and secondary). A domain name may be associated with as many as twelve secondary name servers." I'd never read that before. Anywhere.

Now, Im trying to figure out what tool to use for actually building the cotton pickin' site. There was one that caught my eye, called bluevoda. But I'd read someplace that these simple ones don't completely allow free rein; that is, you can't always drag and drop something exactly where you want it. One thing about it was that you don't have to use an FTP program do upload files. I'm guessing there are some other cons to something like this, but I couldn't tell much from the comments. I suspect they were there to just help make the sale.

It's been years since I've done anything like this and it seems I've found a lot more questions than I did last time. Seems it was simpler the first go around, except for learning html. I had a number of issues to fix, doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 PM

617 posts, read 1,913,209 times
What kind of site are you building? If it's just a static website that you'll build and not change much, then you can do that with html and css (if you know those). Someone else may be able to suggest a good, inexpensive WYSIWYG editor. I hand code so I don't use them or know much about them.

If you're planning a frequently updated site, I'd suggest you look into blogging software like WordPress or a CMS like Joomla.

Where are you hosting your site? Does your host provide cPanel? If so, WP and Joomla (or other software) would be very easy to install.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:41 PM

I bought the domain name through domain.com, and they have sitebuilder which would be free to use. But I've been going to Future Quest, and I decided to add their servers to the other ones. I may be able to use Joomla because they are (I guess) my secondary servers. I'm not sure how to get started though, I haven't had time to figure it out.

Gotta go back to work...

Old 08-07-2008, 06:00 PM

Joomla is not your "secondary" server. Joomla is software that is installed on a server that allows you to manage your site. It's a CMS - Content Management System.

A server is a computer that provides resources to other computers. Your site is hosted on a computer known as a Web Server. It's where your files are located and allows other computers connected to the internet to see those files that make up your website.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Brian, Some of the stuff here might help you to understand it all a little better. I'm afraid I'm not explaining it well enough.

HowStuffWorks "How Domain Name Servers Work"

Also, for a really entertaining and educational view of the internet, download and play the movie at Warriors of the Net clips It's been around a very long time but it's still a great way to "visualize" how the internet works, at its most basic level.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 PM

Yeah, I knew it had nothing to do with the servers, I should've maybe made two paragraphs or something.

The only thing I wondered about, aside from what software to use to build the site, was why I needed more than one server. As I said at the beginning, I had never heard anybody say that before.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:41 PM

You don't need more than one server to host your site. You (and everyone) need at least two NAME servers. All domains must list one primary and one secondary name server. Some sites, like google or yahoo, have more than the required two name servers. Any web host you choose will provide two name servers. You don't need to purchase an additional hosting package.

This requirement helps to ensure that all sites are reachable.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:39 AM

Thanks, I didn't have to pay anything for the extra servers. The second place said it would be a good idea to get three more, but I didn't really know why, unless it was because of the redundancy factor. When I first built a site, it seemed everything was a lot simpler, but this time around, every thing I learned seemed to generate more questions.

BTW, do you favor any site building programs? I haven't decided whether to use one of the "easy" ones or to learn to do HTML all over again (though I figure it'll be a bit easier the second time around.)

Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Thanks, I didn't have to pay anything for the extra servers. The second place said it would be a good idea to get three more, but I didn't really know why, unless it was because of the redundancy factor. When I first built a site, it seemed everything was a lot simpler, but this time around, every thing I learned seemed to generate more questions.

BTW, do you favor any site building programs? I haven't decided whether to use one of the "easy" ones or to learn to do HTML all over again (though I figure it'll be a bit easier the second time around.)
Sorry for not answering sooner. I've been tending to my mom who just had surgery.

I'm not sure what you mean by "site building programs." Do you mean WYSIWYG editors? Or are you referring to something like Wordpress or Joomla?

I've built sites with html/css and currently run sites using Wordpress. In order to customize sites in Wordpress, it does help to know html.

If you post a link to the type of site builder you have in mind, I can take a look.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:45 PM

I guess it was kind of a shotgun question, encompassing any kind of program that I could use to build a website. I didn't know if bluevoda would be too simple or if the WYSIWYG editors you mentioned would be better, or if I would be better off doing it from scratch.

I would like something a bit more simple than "scratch" if possible. I'd like the site to be able to work in most (if not all) browsers, and since I've been reading some about site building, I've also learned that security is something we need to pay attention to.

I haven't really nailed down which ones I'd be looking at, but I'd appreciate any direction I can get to that end. I have build a site, previously, but I did it pretty much from scratch. If possible, I'd like something that doesn't take too long to build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet