U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 05:38 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,302,832 times

Advertisements

I have WebTV with MSN as my dial up internet. Im thinking about getting a laptop and real internet. I keep seeing all these package deals from Warner Cable etc for internet phone and cable. Who do you think has the best deal?

I have another question. I know this will sound dumb to you techies so no sniggling. What happens to my Email and bookmarks when I change from MSN to somebody else. Do I lose everything and have to start over?

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 08-18-2008 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,764,604 times
You might want to make sure some of those companies have service in your area. I see lots of ads, too, but there are only a few that work in my neighborhood.

Your bookmarks should stay with your browser (or browsers, if you use more than one). If you have email online, nothing will change. If you are using Outlook, I think you'd have to set that up, again. I'll never use Outlook -- besides, I've read security advice such as this that it's not a good idea, except under certain conditions.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:10 PM

1,677 posts, read 5,752,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I have WebTV with MSN as my dial up internet. Im thinking about getting a laptop and real internet. I keep seeing all these package deals from Warner Cable etc for internet phone and cable. Who do you think has the best deal?

I have another question. I know this will sound dumb to you techies so no sniggling. What happens to my Email and bookmarks when I change from MSN to somebody else. Do I lose everything and have to start over?
I have a friend back east that when her cable goes down, so does the internet and phone. Communication silence. The reliability of these networks and new systems are such that I keep my landline phone as a backup. If your cable and internet go down you shold still be able to dial in over a phone line.

If you use hotmail in the MSN then all your mail settings will be fine.
If you use outlook or express then there are some setting in internet connections that will have to be changed. Your provider should be able to tell you how to do these things.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,111,566 times
Celia_Rose, it really depends on where you are and the options. You'll hear good and bad about any and/or all providers so it really is a hit or miss. You might take a look at Broadband Reports and try to do some looking around for opinions in your area. And if you don't mind, can you give a clue as to where that might be?

Time Warner has a good package for cableTV, their broadband is typically excellent and VoIP is getting better all the time. They might offer a new subscriber package and raise rates after three months.

Verizon FiOS has some high regard for its phone/broadband/TV package. It's relatively new but busting the market wherever it goes. Awesome HDTV and exceptionally high speed Internet. Of course, do you really require really high speed Internet?

AT&T is rolling out a fiber product much like Verizon's but stops at the curb rather than inside the garage.

There are dozens of internet service providers, some offering VoIP, some higher speed internet than others. It all really depends on your goal. I prefer to keep my products separate. Cable or dish for TV, cell for phone and wireless for internet. Yeah, three different bills but I'm in charge.

If you're using MSN then you're also using web based email. That means your email stays on the MSN server rather than download to your PC. If you move to another Internet provider you'll need to either maintain the MSN product or download the email to your PC. You'll want to complete that action before cancelling the MSN service. I use Thunderbird from Mozilla.org to download email. At your 'new' ISP you'll probly have web based email also. How you handle it is up to you but you can probly use both web based or PC based email in combo, depending on the provider. I'll be glad to explain further if you like.

I used to work for GTE Internet, now Verizon. I've also done DSL support for AT&T. I don't prefer either and actually used another ISP for Internet with VoIP.

When/if you get a laptop you'll need to copy your bookmarks from you current access to your laptop. A simple activity. To make it real easy, I'd just email the file from wherever it is now to whatever will be your new email address. Or if MSN has some sort of storage facility for data files just hide it there. Again, don't cancel that account until you've transferred data from your current Internet options to whatever will be you new ISP. I'm not real familiar with MSN practices so others might have better detail about that than I. I try not to use packaged Internet goodies like MSN, Yahoo, google.... but it is easier for some.

Last edited by WillysB; 08-22-2008 at 10:01 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,412 posts, read 32,206,573 times
Cecilia_Rose, my M-I-L has WebTV (actually MSNTV2, the newer white box that supports broadband) as her sole means of accessing the Internet and tried to get broadband for it. Both Time_Warner and AT&T refused to install broadband for her without a computer to connect it to. She fears having a computer and adamantly refuses to get one, so she gave up on the notion of broadband WebTV.

If I lived closer to her, I would bring one of my laptops over and let the technician connect to it for the official installation. Then I would switch the connection over to work with the MSN box after the technician left.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Cecilia_Rose, my M-I-L has WebTV (actually MSNTV2, the newer white box that supports broadband) as her sole means of accessing the Internet and tried to get broadband for it. Both Time_Warner and AT&T refused to install broadband for her without a computer to connect it to. She fears having a computer and adamantly refuses to get one, so she gave up on the notion of broadband WebTV.

If I lived closer to her, I would bring one of my laptops over and let the technician connect to it for the official installation. Then I would switch the connection over to work with the MSN box after the technician left.
Actually I have MSNTV2. But I forget and say WebTV cause thats what I used to have for so long. And my Email still says @webtv.net. The part about being able to get BB on my MSN unit if I get a laptop sounds interesting. I really like my MSNTV2 but the dial up part is starting to get on my nerves. I dont remember it being this slow in the past.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:34 PM

Thanks everybody for all the good info. I think Ill forget about the phone part and just look at TV and internet by themselves. I have Warner cable right now so Im going to see who will give me the best deal to switch. I have a choice of Dish Network, DirectTv, Embarq, and At&T.

I cant afford a laptop just yet so the internet part will have to wait. But in the meantime Ill be looking. Im sure there some good info on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet