Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 10:31 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Say goodbye to slow downloads: Australian scientists develop chip that makes Internet 60 times faster.

The Fastest Internet Ever | Popular Science
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of fiber optic lines in the U.S. because it is expensive and companies won't pay for it. Japan, France, and many other countries have faster internet than the U.S. and they pay half as much as we do BUT their country is also a lot smaller than us as well. We haven't moved to faster internet because it still travels on old tech lines. It would require a major infrastructure change and a lot of digging to put in new fiber optic lines in the thousands of cities and rural land that we have... cost? More than I could ever imagine... until fiber optics is dirt cheap and industrial grade we won't be seeing "fast" internet anytime soon... its not telecoms fault since we have a LOT of land and it is quite expensive to replace all the old lines with fiber optic lines... so this chip is almost moot... it probably helpful in smaller countries and some cities in the U.S. but for the most part of the U.S., it won't be... well, not at least in my lifetime...

Old 08-10-2008, 05:11 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
I pay a bundle for so called high speed internet that uses our phone line. It's ok if I use the hard line from the router but when I use the wireless it is slower than snot and I keep getting bumped. I'm fed up and am going back to dial up. There was a diverter box that used to be available that would put the computer on hold and allow the phone to ring and then when the phone line becomes free again it would resume to the computers use of the line. My question is where can I find this type of device (I've looked and can't find one. Also what is this device called ?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
I don't know about the hardware angle. We used to have a program that would let us know when the phone was ringing. It was
something like this, but I don't remember what it was called, or even if it cost anything. Some of them put the Internet connection on hold if you decided to answer the phone.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:46 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
Well, until my PC gets a little faster that data is gonna be choking on itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet