U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:37 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,362,106 times

Advertisements

Artsyguy, when you lose your connectivity what ARE you doing at that time? You say you can get it back on. What do you do for that? Reboot? Close IE or iTunes? You say 'it seems' as though iTunes and IE are running at the same time. What version IE? Have you tried uninstalling iTunes to see if that remedies the problem? Maybe a configuration conflict.

Do you do regular maintenance on the PC, scandisk, defrag, scan for spyware or virus? Do you use Norton or ZoneAlarm or what? Is it active? Paid up?

Do a control/alt/delete... the Task Manager opens up. Click on the Processes tab. Bottom left corner, how many process are shown. A mid-20's number is good. Sixty is a problem. If more than 30's or so you need to remove programs from your start up.

And yeah, you say you're losing internet. When that happens open a DOS window... Start/Run > type 'cmd' in the run line hit enter, black window opens up. Type 'ipconfig' in the dos window and what reply do you get. If it's a 192.x.x.x number then you're still connected to your router (if you're direct to the modem then it will be your ISP assigned IP address). If it's a 168.x.x.x number then that's 'no internet'.

In the black box, type 'ping yahoo.com'. Does it reply with numbers or a failure message? If you get a set of numbers then your PC is communicating with that destination.

But from your report it sounds like a PC software based problem, not really an internet loss.

Last edited by WillysB; 08-25-2008 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 12:54 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,362,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Mine does that as well, but I've not detected a time frame. I've used this same wireless router modem for the past year in 3 states without issue. I go to NC w/ Time Warner Cable and it seems to keep losing the connection.

I took it with me out of town and it works just fine. Yet back to Time Warner Cable....

hmmm......I've heard of internet companies doing what they can legally to block usage as in slow down a users connection speed and boot them off.

Is this what's happening?
Grace, first and foremost... No, TimeWarner is not blocking your use of the Internet.

So, you've been using a wireless without problem until a 'new' scenario with TWC. Yet you go to another location and no problem. You did say this same wireless router modem for the past year in 3 states without issue but then you have service problem with TWC. Is it really a 'router modem' or just a router? Do you actually have a separate black box from TWC between the wall and the router(/modem). I ask because some ISP's actually provide a 'router modem' but they don't match up with 'other' service providers. Can you actually identify the 'router' name and model, for clarity?

Next, can you hardwire the laptop to the router? I ask this because if you 'hardwire' the device and still lose internet then it's probly not the router's problem. Can you hardwire directly to the TWC box? If you don't lose connection then it's not TWC. You need to be sure you have a firewall engaged for the direct connect.

Are there certain times of day you get slowdown or loss? How is your wireless lifestyle configured? Upstairs/downstairs? Ten rooms away? AC ducting or frig or other electrical devices between the laptop and wireless device? Copper or aluminum electrical? Does the modem sit on top of the router?

These are all tech support pursuits to remedy a loss of connection. Is the slowdown or loss at certain websites? Have you tried other 'unusual for you' websites when problems arise? The point being that some websites may have unusually heavy traffic at certain times of day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or