U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 11:29 PM

107 posts, read 201,983 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am more or less internet and computer challenged and know only enough to be considered dangerous to myself and others

If you could share your wisdom with a novice I would greatly appreciate it!

I'll try to be brief in my problems...

I run 2 home based businesses and am a member of numerous yahoo groups to which I get individual emails on a daily basis + email notifications from the companies I represent + communications from family/friends, etc. I have several yahoo accounts, a gmail and a hotmail, BUT I primarily use one yahoo account and when I send mail from that account is comes from my name@mydomainname rather than from my actual me@yahooaccount
Gmail confuses me and I find my hotmail is primarily SPAM.

The laptop that I am using came with a trial version of Microsoft Word and related products but I did not extend it so don't have Word available and I really don't know whether or not that means I don't have outlook available also?? Not that I would know what to do with outlook if I had it?!?

I have a friend that swears my incredimail, which I have looked at but also don't really understand.

I access the internet on my laptop through a aircard from my cell phone provider and the only method I have of internet usage is once again, mainly my yahoo account. BUT, not only do I frequently experience problems (someone sending an email that I don't get for HOURS) but it's just become too much to manage with upwards of 300 emails per day.

Is there a simple fix to my situation? Is there a email management program or SOMETHING that would make managing this volume of emails easier and more organized?? Anybody with experience with incredimail or any suggestions on similar type programs? Thanks so much for taking the time to read the ramblings and if you are able to decipher what I mean and can help I'd really be grateful!!

Stacie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,646,589 times
Thunderbird + spam filter + organized folders + message filters = neatness

With Thunderbird (mozilla) you can run as many different email accounts as you want either each to their own root folder or grouped into one root folder. I have at least 60 accounts grouped by client or domain into 8-9 root folders.

From there I have spam filtering on dumping all suspected spam into a spam folder. By not having the system delete it I can go back and search it if something that was supposed to come in but doesn't make it (usually an order confirmation or registration message or the like).

After that most of what comes in is real mail that I have message filters hit and sort out for me. Filters are pretty strong you can make one to do just about everything. Some examples are: All my credit card authorization notifications are sent to one of two different folder, depending on which client's account generated them. All of the blackberry communications (I monitor thousands of them a day) get dumped to one of two folders depending on which call center they originated from. Web sales go into another folder. Server alerts and notifications go to another folder. etc

It is all pretty easy to setup and works well once you get the hang of it. Other clients off many of the same features but I started using Thunderbird a long time ago and never found anything else worth making me stop.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Couldn't have said it better myself. Good post.

I'll wager the OP is going to need some hand holding to get it set up, but once it's done their life will certainly be simpler.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:04 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,488,428 times
+1 for Thunderbird. It'll probably seem a little overwhelming at first, but I think probably any full featured email client will.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,628,448 times
Before switching to Gmail, I used to swear by Eudora for organizing email.

Thunderbird is roughly equivalent, but it is a bit more complicated to set up. If you're confounded by Thunderbird, try Eudora.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:10 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times
I had no idea you could make Thunderbird that complex. None.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet