U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 PM

218 posts, read 308,266 times

Advertisements

I have WB and was wondering why I was having trouble getting online. I had the repair come out twice. After paying $17,000 to get my roof fix, WB put up another satelite thinking that was the problem.Now I have two on my roof. One good one that don't work. WB don't remove bars in case my roof leaks. Come to find out I am limited to my internet access. They said I went over my alotted useage which I am only on here 2hrs a day when I get on but not on every day.If they would of told the repair man he wouldn't of have to come out and mess up my roof and of coarse charged me $95 for repairs. SO I do not recommen WILD BLUE>
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 PM

359 posts, read 768,054 times
Hughesnet is suppose to be the BEST satellite high-speed internet around.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:51 AM

2,771 posts, read 5,970,221 times
I have both, and I also have a Verizon air card for when it's really stormy and we have no satellite reception here in North Idaho winters...

Wild Blue is really spotty and I'm very unimpressed by their uptime, and it's REALLY lagging...horrible latency on connect times. However, they have outstanding customer service. Really nice people I've talked to, which is unusual these days.

HughesNet works wonderfully, and has really good uptime, and much less latency, but their customer service (IMHO) is REALLY bad, and maybe I'm unlucky, but they've been pretty unhelpful when I call for support.

I would dump them both the DAY that DSL became available in our area. When testing the Verizon air card speeds (we're outside of their higher speed area, fyi): 296K download and 95K upload. But we moved here from an area with 1.5mbps DSL, so it's rather disappointing but a reasonable trade off for where we get to live now...

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 10-30-2008, 11:43 AM

11,758 posts, read 27,341,127 times
As much as I dislike the fees for Hughesnet, the latency, and the customer service, I can't imagine going to WB. From what I've been told, WB only has one or two birds and is starved for bandwidth. As for Hughesnet, I've grown to hate the hold song that is used on the customer support line. I've had to hang up on them a few times out of frustration.

Also, for anyone considering Hughesnet, they have taken a lesson from the cellphone companies and claim that once you sign up you have a two year contract with them. If you want out, they get to charge you $300. That, for me, tells me just what the average customer experience is like. Great businesses don't hold customers hostage.

I have seriously considered dropping Hughesnet and just using a free wifi connection when I go to town. The problem is that I try NOT to go to town, and when I do, the broadband there is as bad or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet